Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Challenger III information

tangledo

Does anyone out there know much about the Gibson Challenger III's? I just acquired one and understand it may be somewhat rare. I know that it was only made for 1 year, in 1984. Any info regarding the quantity of these things made, would be appreciated. Also, anybody know who made the pickups? It has 3 single coils. Thanks.

I can't say anything about production numbers, but I do know a little bit about the guitar.

Basically, it was a last ditch effort for Norlin Gibson to use up all the parts it had left over. They took a Marauder/S-1 body, and stuck a Corvus III pickguard on it. Seriously, if you look up the Corvus III, they took the pickguard, made a Tiny modification to it, and stuck it on a Marauder/S-1 body. The pickups were most likely half of a Humbucker bobbin with little Humbucker "feet", like the Reissue Melody Makers. They were spare parts.

I can't say anything about production numbers, but I do know a little bit about the guitar.

Basically, it was a last ditch effort for Norlin Gibson to use up all the parts it had left over. They took a Marauder/S-1 body, and stuck a Corvus III pickguard on it. Seriously, if you look up the Corvus III, they took the pickguard, made a Tiny modification to it, and stuck it on a Marauder/S-1 body. The pickups were most likely half of a Humbucker bobbin with little Humbucker "feet", like the Reissue Melody Makers. They were spare parts.

Thanks for the information! I am really enjoying my "Les/Strat"!

Thanks for the information! I am really enjoying my "Les/Strat"!

Could you post pics? Even if they were spare parts, that's probably one of, if not The rarest of the Norlin era. It was made for 1 year, and Supposedly in very limited numbers (don't quote me on that).

Could you post pics? Even if they were spare parts, that's probably one of, if not The rarest of the Norlin era. It was made for 1 year, and Supposedly in very limited numbers (don't quote me on that).

Attached are some images.

post-43236-022890000 1335359856_thumb.jpgpost-43236-074758500 1335359860_thumb.jpg

It is walnut in color. I know that the knobs aren't original, but everything else is.

• 7 months later...

Archived