Gibson Brands Forums

Prom

dem00n

I didn't make either my junior or senior prom. I'm missed my junior prom to go to an Alkaline Trio concert, and I skipped my senior prom to go see Social Distortion. Funny story, I was dating this girl for almost a year when senior prom rolled around. I told her I didn't want to go, so a couple of weeks before the prom, in her desperate attempt to make me go, she puts out for the first time. I promise I'll go and all that jazz. Then two days before prom I find out Social D is playing two towns over on the same night so I have to tell the girl that I'm going to the concert instead of prom. Long story short, she was pissed, we broke up, and I was incredibly happy. I mean why not, I got laid and got to see Social D. Yeah, I know I'm a ****.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did not go to Senior prom due to the horrible incident at the junior prom.

Scene:

My girlfriend's dad HATES me, not because I am a bad guy (I wasn't!) but because I had long hair and played guitar. Girlfriend's mom loved me, knew I was ok on the inside though I looked a little too hairbandish (it was 1985 . . . man I'm old!). Anyway, dad is in military and goes on a drill which was during prom week. Mom says take my daughter to the prom! We show up, get in line for pics, take said pics, then IN WALKS DAD! In full military uniform. Pissed! Makes scene, takes daughter away, leaves me standing there in front of packed room with a goofy look on my face.

So, decided not to try it again, not any worse for missing it all. However, this did seem to make me somewhat famous, or at least infamous for the remainder of my HS career.

That's a great story!

For what it's worth, here this year we had a batch of kids who didn't care to go to the prom "dressed up" did show up and even ambled through a grand march thingie they do. Then almost all the kids eligible headed to the all night party put on by parents.

I don't think there were a half dozen "couples" but lots of batches of friends, some all boys, some all girls, some mixed groups.

I think that's all a lot healthier than when I was a kid and there was all this 80 percent silly undying love thing that everybody knew wasn't really there, but they hadda hyperventilate regardless.

What I've seen in small "rural" schools, too, over the past 20-30 years I did not see when I was a kid is that there are more friendships and fewer "couples."

m

Although this isn't really prom related it does demonstrate the obsession that some people have for "beauty" and material things. I have had the TV on all night as I sat at the computer and was just watching it with one eye every now and then.Anyway this show called Toddlers and Tiaras came on,the show literally sickened me in a way that a child molester would.These stage mothers would take their little daughters who looked in some cases to be no older than 2 1/2 and dressed them up like $500 hookers and paraded them around the stage even having some of them making "provocative" moves,I was wondering when they were going to bring out the brass pole.The backstage behaviour of these supposed doting mothers was scary,they were so obsessed with getting their children to win.They were openly calling other kid's mothers Beeyoch and browbeating the poor little babies to do moves it would take a teenager a good while to remember and get right. I can't understand why Child Protection Services doesn't shut this kind of thing down,this is nothing but child abuse dressed up to look "respectable" but it's a disgusting display of vanity by jaded mothers living vicariously through their baby daughters.One can only guess the psychological damage and self image issues this can put on a little child,it puts an inordinate amount of stress and responsibility on a baby who should be home with her crayons and coloring books yet they saddle these poor babies with an amount of stress that would give the average adult ulcers or even a nervous breakdown.It makes no wonder that this competition of who's the prettiest or richest spills over into high school years,these days people try to make everything a competition to see who's best.

I hated high school and people always make fun of me and treated me bad. =( I didn't make it to the senior year, but when I went to my junior prom I took a guy that I dated around that time. No one actually cared too much about it. Some guys avoided me, but I didn't care at all. I wasn't allowed to date until I was 18 but I did a lot of stuff my parents didn't know about. haha. I was actually a pretty wild back then I tell you what. I can look back on everything I did now. I have no regrets at all though. It was Fuuun! xD

I am confused. If you dated a guy your junior year, but weren't allowed to date until you were 18, were you 18 your junior year?

Being in high school and doing wild things under your parents' radar is required. Just like they pretend not to know about it.

No dude I dated when I was underage, but my parents didn't want me too. What they don't know won't hurt them.

I don't remember what age I was in highschool. I don't think I had a junior year. People used to bully me and beat me up and pick on me and be mean.

I got seriously depressed and didn't do my school work so I dropped out. Society really destroyed everything I can be. :rolleyes:

That's a good reason to write depressing alternative music LOL

Those kids are ignorant scum man. Remember that.

Yes I went to three. One Junior Prom and two Senior Proms (Mine and my girlfriend's). The Prom's weren't all that great, I hate dancing. But I loved the time afterwards.

No Rush=no me!

Once, out camping, I had the XM Radio hooked up to the truck (and the speakers on the tailgate so everyone could hear!), and Freewill came on, and everyone was yelling at me to change it to the blues station, but I was by the fire dancing! Yes, dancing to Rush songs is possible!

No Rush=no me!

Once, out camping, I had the XM Radio hooked up to the truck (and the speakers on the tailgate so everyone could hear!), and Freewill came on, and everyone was yelling at me to change it to the blues station, but I was by the fire dancing! Yes, dancing to Rush songs is possible!

Rush is probably the only band I could enjoy dancing to.

Archived