Gibson Brands Forums

The Doors were a hell of a band...

dem00n

The Doors were a hell of a band...

Yes, they were. Because of all the hype around Morrison the band itself does not get the credit it is due. There aren't many keyboard players in rock history that can hold a candle to Ray Manzarek.

Hmmmm.. this one's tricky for me. Great band? Yes. Excellent musicians? Yes. Lyrics? Killer. But I don't really like listening to them. They are one of those bands who I respect, but their stuff just doesn't move me. And yes, I have a number of their albums, so I'm not just talking about radio tracks/hits. I've really tried to like them. But in the end... meh.

Hmmmm.. this one's tricky for me. Great band? Yes. Excellent musicians? Yes. Lyrics? Killer. But I don't really like listening to them. They are one of those bands who I respect, but their stuff just doesn't move me. And yes, I have a number of their albums, so I'm not just talking about radio tracks/hits. I've really tried to like them. But in the end... meh.

I see where your getting at Surfpup, i feel the same way about The Beatles.

Lemme help you...

See... you start with a bottle of tequila and a quarter ounce of blonde Lebanese..... put some Creedance Clearwater Revival, or maybe Blood Sweat and Tears on...

...pretty soon you're like "hey... that's the doors... they rock."

Or something like that.

True this^^^^^

They were, in fact, a great band! I thank my roomie in college for turning me on to more than just their popular hits... [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPk3-GmPRnY&feature=fvst

Yeah, listening to their albums during my high school days was very instrumental in shaping my early musical intrests. We used to spin those albums all night long.

I like this by Jeff Healey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acD6Yy_FeDk&feature=related

Yeah, listening to their albums during my high school days was very instrumental in shaping my early musical intrests. We used to spin those albums all night long.

I like this by Jeff Healey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acD6Yy_FeDk&feature=related

Love Jeff Healy, CaliMan. He has more feeling and soul in his pinky than I do in my whole body, I think.

I always loved The Doors,Jim Morrison was a brilliant poetic genius,my favourite Doors' song is The Crystal Ship followed closely by You're Lost Little Girl. Ray Manzerak plays on the eponymous Echo and the Bunnymen album -his contribution is unmistakeable.Robby Kreiger and John Densmore are brilliant in their own rights and Robby's classical background played a huge part in their sound as the SG he bought when they started up was the first electric guitar that he'd played.All his lead breaks were extremely tasteful and classic,take for instance his lead break in Lost Little Girl it's an absolute treasure in its beauty. It's too bad that Jim like a lot of others in his time,succumbed to the excesses that were part of the trappings that went hand in hand with rock stardom. The rest of the Doors are still turning out excellent music with Jim reading his poetry over the beautiful strains of the music.

Archived