Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa ES-335

dougg330

Just played a Joe Bonamassa model ES-335 at the Guitar Center in Boston... and I'm still drooling. Finish work is great on it - aged metal parts, aged binding, sunburst color, etc. Plays beautifully - really comfy neck shape.

BUT THE TONE...OH LORDY, THE TONE!!!!!

Thick, rich, detailed, lovely tone.

Amazing range of sounds available, too - the tone and volume knobs create a huge variation in sound options.

It's $2999.99 - lots of dough, for sure, but a bargain compared to so many other guitars in their Platinum Room.

They only had 1 in stock. Salesman told us only 100 were made (not sure if that's a fact or not), so very few stores even have 1...but if you can find one to play, check it out.

If I weren't currently unemployed, it would hav come home with me for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home with mine after buying it at Guitar Center in Sacramento, serial number #14.

You were right about the tone, plus the neck is unbelievable!

Sure looks sweet. Congrats. Love the Vintage sunburst.

Sweet! They only had one at GC Boston, and it's gone. I think it's a great deal for the price, from what I saw/heard/played. Enjoy it, man.

Just got home with mine after buying it at Guitar Center in Sacramento, serial number #14.

You were right about the tone, plus the neck is unbelievable!

I saw the one at the Boston GC and when I went back to buy it, it was gone. I checked the GC website and it's not listed any more. I even can't find it on the Gibson Custom site. Anyone know if it's still available? I can't find one anywhere....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new poster here.

There were only 50 scheduled to be built, and I know they were going quickly!

Mine is #35, and I love it. Got Joe to sign it after the recent Pittsburgh concert.

There is a registry.on the J Bonamassa forum, if you are so inclined.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw another one at the Boston GC today - July 5th. Higher price now - $3400 - but this one was even sweeter than the first one they had. My buddy and I both played it and couldn't put it down. Just can't swing it financially at this time.

Don't think it will last long - so if you;re interested, get down there. Ask for Larry - he's the guy who helped us, and one of the few people at GC who really know what's up.

I saw the one at the Boston GC and when I went back to buy it, it was gone. I checked the GC website and it's not listed any more. I even can't find it on the Gibson Custom site. Anyone know if it's still available? I can't find one anywhere....

• 3 weeks later...

Just played a Joe Bonamassa model ES-335 at the Guitar Center in Boston... and I'm still drooling. Finish work is great on it - aged metal parts, aged binding, sunburst color, etc. Plays beautifully - really comfy neck shape.

BUT THE TONE...OH LORDY, THE TONE!!!!!

Thick, rich, detailed, lovely tone.

Amazing range of sounds available, too - the tone and volume knobs create a huge variation in sound options.

It's $2999.99 - lots of dough, for sure, but a bargain compared to so many other guitars in their Platinum Room.

They only had 1 in stock. Salesman told us only 100 were made (not sure if that's a fact or not), so very few stores even have 1...but if you can find one to play, check it out.

If I weren't currently unemployed, it would hav come home with me for sure.

Fat neck, slim neck?

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask why Gibson is using IMHO anyways these volume and tone control knobs that really don't do much justice to these 335's rather than using the traditional tophat knobs that used to come on the historic reissue instruments? I know its being petty but at least to my mind little things matter especially when one is putting out big bucks for these guitars...jim in Oklanoma City at Tinker AFB

Can I ask why Gibson is using IMHO anyways these volume and tone control knobs that really don't do much justice to these 335's rather than using the traditional tophat knobs that used to come on the historic reissue instruments? I know its being petty but at least to my mind little things matter especially when one is putting out big bucks for these guitars...jim in Oklanoma City at Tinker AFB

I'm a huge Bonamassa fan, and if I were in the market for a 335, that's where i'd go.

• 8 years later...