Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic pick ups

4Hayden

Never used a Bagg's but I tried an expensive Fishman and was very disappointed with it! I have had good luck with a low-cost strait-wired (no volume or any thing) Martin I hear it's made by Fishman. Martin Thin-line 332 Acoustic Guitar Pickup, I believe that's the right model # of the one that worked good for me.

I don't use a pick up now as I'm a solo act when I play acoustic with a PA, just a Studio Project's C1, through my Crest XR20 console and DBX unit's patched in to control feed back. It's plenty loud, I can go to a gig in a small/medium room with just one Behringer B208D powered speaker and fill the place with acoustic and my singing, and it don't scream at the audience. I truly hate going to an acoustic show and the PA isn't set correctly so you can't even talk to the person right next to you.

Now If I was with a full band with drum's and all I may want a plug but that ant happening ATM.

Funny - I had installed a Martin 332 (which is a Fishman) in my 000-28 and I just replaced it yesterday with a Fishman Matrix Infinity.

The undersaddle pickups have a reputation as being not quite as natural sounding as some of the pickups that also have a soundboard transducer. But the undersaddle pickups are easy to use and you can EQ using the preamp or amp.

The 332 is a simple passive pickup. You need to have an external preamp or you can plug it straight into an amp. The Infinity has a preamp unit with it. There are volume and tone controls located on the unit right at the edge of the soundhole. I installed the Infinity because I realized I need the volume control on the guitar for live work.

It's a real pain working inside a 000. It's really tight in there and the infinity pickup has a bunch of stuff to install inside the guitar. Both pickups will require you to ream out the endpin hole to something like 1/2". It's a challenging job to install the pickups and it's really a luthier type of job unless you're up to it. It took me maybe three or four hours for the whole thing, including the original end pin and saddle work that I did with the first installation. It's very tedious.

I would recommend the Infinity over the 332, especially if you would need an external preamp for the 332, which will bring its cost up to the price of the infinity.

[thumbup]

I had mine installed by a luthier in my '05 Taylor GS. It works great. lots of people asking what pickup is installed, they can see it's lacking the controls that the Taylor expression pickup system would have.

I have another Taylor with the stock Fishman Matrix, (pre Expression days) sounds good but I think the infinity has a bit more natural sound.

All I'm using is a Boss 7 band eq, into the board. I do a lot of finger style playing, the Fishman contour control really helps to dial in the necessary articulation.

If you happen to go this route, I would definitely agree to see about having it done for you.

B)

and of course, there's always the removable sound hole option from Dean Markley:

http://www.deanmarkley.com/products/by-subcategory/2-catalog/84-promagi

Requires NO mods, I used one before I put the fishman in. Sounds OK, it will need to be run through an EQ, and it does tend to get in the way sometimes, but - maybe this satisfies your needs. they're pretty inexpensive.

Actually, compared to my early days on guitar, there are some wonderful options that depend on the guitar, price tags, and whether the owner has skills for various sorts of installation or not.

The amp or PA you use also will make a huge difference on how anything sounds. It's like any "electric" guitar in that you now have a two-piece stedda a one-piece instrument.

My cheapie 12 has a mag soundhole pickup installed with an endpin jack. That latter is why I had a guy do it who knew what he was doing. Other similar installations have options so you don't have to drill anything. What does it sound like? Well, I think it sounds quite decent depending... It'll sound Leadbellyish if I want, or it can sound almost Byrds-ish if it's cranked that way. The cheapie pickup doesn't have controls, so that's all done on the amp.

In the 1960s and early '70s I tried several magnetic dealies; had a mag pickup that just screwed onto the trapeze of an archtop, tried a cupla "contact microphones" and then when Ovation came out with some of the first AE guitars in the early '70s, I got an "Electric Legend" and a nylon "Country Artist." Both have done yeoman duty and, IMHO, are fine for playing nowadays even though the #@$%#@$% battery is a real nasty thing to get to.

Now I have three Epi AEs of various shapes added to the two Ovations. Frankly I'd prefer Gibsons if I had the cash, and yet Gibson hasn't had the equivalent of the Epi PR5e that I can tell since the CF100E back in the 1950s that a friend owns and plays regularly. That little cheapie Epi isn't all that good a choice for most acoustic pickin', but plugged in, plus the nice shape and size that's so similar to the 175, it does exceptionally well.

Bottom line to me is that with decent adjustments to guitar controls and/or amp, almost any decently installed rig should work if you work it right. But again, how you amplify makes a huge difference.

Hmmmm. I think perhaps also any rig other than magnetic is less likely to respond all that well to the more heavy handed flatpick strummers...

BTW, those planning a mag pickup should realize the strings also will make a huge difference since you're playing an "electric" guitar that needs ferrous metals to work. That's been a complaint through the years of early mag pickup "AE" guitars. You might try those "zebra" strings that are designed for AE and/or hollow body electrics of all sorts, so they claim.

m

I had an LR Baggs M1A installed on my Taylor 110 several years ago and could not be happier. The installation part was drilling and mounting the quarter inch jack where the strap button is. This pickup is active so you get plenty of juice and she isn't a battery hog. To my ears it is the best sounding sound hole pickup. Wanted a transducer, but those things got expensive! I think the price is around $250 now. Remember when they were like $70?

Back in the mid 80s I electrified my Yamaha FG 346 SB with a Yamaha pickup system that consisted of a low-hum soundhole pickup (It is as quiet and big as a humbucker but I don't know if it is one.)and an under bridge transducer.The system consisted of a single control that looked like a volume control but it actually panned you from the bridge transducer(for true acoustic tone)to the soundhole pickup (which gave you a tone more like an EG-160).The sad thing is that this system has no model numbers or any other markings to identify the model except for the lone Yamaha written across the top of the pickup. I wish I knew what model it was because I would certainly retrofit one on my 12 string acoustic.This is by far the best acoustic guitar pickup system that I've ever used and many who have heard it concur as the panning ability allows any combination of acoustic and electric tones you desire by tweaking that little control. If you see a Yamaha anywhere that appears to be the one I've described scoop it up-you won't be disappointed.

I bought a Bill Lawrence sound hole 345C pick up for $35.00 when a local shop went guttybag a year ago, it's the hottest SOB on earth...I also have a 1996 Taylor 814CE and a Martin D35 with a Fishman, the BL 345C blows them out of the water, don't get me wrong I was very happy with the built in system on my old Taylor, and for acoustic sound it may be better, but I love the BL. I can plug my Taylor into one channel of my Genz-Benz and put the BL into the sound hole and plug it into the other channel and well, try it out.

http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swampkaster/Acoustic%20Pickups.htm

I bought a Bill Lawrence sound hole 345C pick up for $35.00 when a local shop went guttybag a year ago, it's the hottest SOB on earth...I also have a 1996 Taylor 814CE and a Martin D35 with a Fishman, the BL 345C blows them out of the water, don't get me wrong I was very happy with the built in system on my old Taylor, and for acoustic sound it may be better, but I love the BL. I can plug my Taylor into one channel of my Genz-Benz and put the BL into the sound hole and plug it into the other channel and well, try it out.

http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swampkaster/Acoustic%20Pickups.htm

Thanks buddy, can I still buy the BL ?

You can order one from the link I posted,

http://www.billlawre...nlinestore.com/

It can get confusing as The Bill Lawerence USA name is owned by Jzvchak Wajcman but he and Bill parted ways in 1984. Bill Lawerence is still doing business under the name Wilde Pickups...that is who sells the Bill Lawerence Q-switch...a legal battle between the two partners left Bill unable to use his own name, but Wajcman is allowed to sell pickups using the same tooling and designs as the orig. BL's under Bill's name...

this is another site that sells the A-345C "Silencer"

http://www.gearhounds.com/billlawrencea-345cacousticguitarpickupblack.aspx

A lot depends on if you want to permanently "electrify" your guitar. If you, I would recommend a professionally-installed pick-up or transducer like the ones recommended above.

If you just need to plug in on occasion, the Seymour Duncan "Woody" pick-ups are cheap and sound fine.

You need to have an external preamp or you can plug it straight into an amp.

Nope not true, no pre needed, I used mine with a simple passive DI direct into my PA's mixer. If your using a guitar amp I can see why you had different result's as I never use an amp, just a DI into mixer into powered speaker's, DBX EQ's patched into insert's. This set-up will give a much cleaner and less colored sound.

You can order one from the link I posted,

http://www.billlawre...nlinestore.com/

It can get confusing as The Bill Lawerence USA name is owned by Jzvchak Wajcman but he and Bill parted ways in 1984. Bill Lawerence is still doing business under the name Wilde Pickups...that is who sells the Bill Lawerence Q-switch...a legal battle between the two partners left Bill unable to use his own name, but Wajcman is allowed to sell pickups using the same tooling and designs as the orig. BL's under Bill's name...

this is another site that sells the A-345C "Silencer"

http://www.gearhounds.com/billlawrencea-345cacousticguitarpickupblack.aspx

Thanks for the info

Archived