Gibson Brands Forums

is it true that the route the Titanic sailed on was cursed?

FenderGuy1

I tend to watch a bunch of Titanic things especially lately with it being it's 100 year anniv.One of the rumors was the ship was cursed as soon as the engineers reported to the newspapers that the ship was unsinkable and it was repeated buy quite a few passengers onboard.Ok maybe not cursed but IMHO tempting the fates.As for the route she took there was reports from other ships (remember wireless was really new) out there in or below the ice fields that the ice was especially heavy for that time of year.However it seems like the captain,owners reps and engineer were more interested in getting into NY a day earlier and setting a new speed record on a moonless night so seeing iceburgs was almost impossible until you were on top of it.

I tend to watch most of the ghost shows on and the crew of Ghost Hunters (Jason and Grant) did a ghost hunt at the Atlanta aquarium while it was having the Titanic exhibition that was traveling around the USA.The exhibition had things like plates,deck chairs,pursers keys and a lot of pictures that directly belonged to the Titanic. The electronic voices picked up and the shadow movement seen moving around the exhibition were pretty spooky,especially when 2 of the ghost hunters said they were touched or grabbed during the investigation.I do have a small belif in ghosts (we have a ghost cat) so I really dig these shows.Hey Fenderguy1 look up what happened to Titanics 2 sister ships,also interesting.

Guest farnsbarns

Once very interesting thing about the Titanic is that as soon as the staff were in the water/lifeboats they were deemed to be "off duty" and their pay ceased at that moment. I'd expect time and a half at least!

Our own fishermen and fishermen from New England and the Maritime Provinces have been sailing these waters going to and from their fishing grounds for centuries with no extraordinary losses of life.I think that this thread is cursed to crash and sink....lol.

BTW: The first distress signal from the Titanic was received at the telegraph station at Cape Race at the southernmost tip of the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland and from there the news quickly went worldwide about the sinking of the "unsinkable" Titanic.Almost all of the Titanic cruises and the $50,000 diving bell tours of the Titanic are originating from St. John's Newfoundland which has what's been called the most naturally protected harbour in the world.

I tend to watch a bunch of Titanic things especially lately with it being it's 100 year anniv.One of the rumors was the ship was cursed as soon as the engineers reported to the newspapers that the ship was unsinkable and it was repeated buy quite a few passengers onboard.Ok maybe not cursed but IMHO tempting the fates.As for the route she took there was reports from other ships (remember wireless was really new) out there in or below the ice fields that the ice was especially heavy for that time of year.However it seems like the captain,owners reps and engineer were more interested in getting into NY a day earlier and setting a new speed record on a moonless night so seeing iceburgs was almost impossible until you were on top of it.

I tend to watch most of the ghost shows on and the crew of Ghost Hunters (Jason and Grant) did a ghost hunt at the Atlanta aquarium while it was having the Titanic exhibition that was traveling around the USA.The exhibition had things like plates,deck chairs,pursers keys and a lot of pictures that directly belonged to the Titanic. The electronic voices picked up and the shadow movement seen moving around the exhibition were pretty spooky,especially when 2 of the ghost hunters said they were touched or grabbed during the investigation.I do have a small belif in ghosts (we have a ghost cat) so I really dig these shows.Hey Fenderguy1 look up what happened to Titanics 2 sister ships,also interesting.

Olympic bashed into a ship early doors but then bashed a German sub and sank it! Travelled all over delivering troops and was loved by all. Awwwh! It did then bash another ship but IT NEVER SANK, HUZZAH! I just think they were too big and smaller ships didn't know who was boss.

Britannic were a medical ship I believe and hit a mine. I am not being funny here but tons of ships hit mines during the war, I wouldn't say that's bad luck or spooky, just downright good planting of mines.

All poppycock if you ask me. Titanic hit an iceberg trying to be cocky, no "spooky curse" but when you play with ice, expect to fall over (or sink). The other two were the biggest ships on the planet as well, and in the middle of a war.

E A S Y T A R G E T S

WK

Once very interesting thing about the Titanic is that as soon as the staff were in the water/lifeboats they were deemed to be "off duty" and their pay ceased at that moment. I'd expect time and a half at least!

That's interesting but I doubt if the ones in the water really cared very much and even if they did it wasn't for long.

How do you "clock out" on a ship. I mean, I'd be stating that I was there until my ankles were wet at least. "Nah, nah boss...me, lifeboat, not until the deck went under pal. Pay now please"

Ghosts are a weird thing we owned a old victorian home in Prescott Arizona that we bought in a very dilapidated condition we restored it and sold it. It's history showed that it had been a bed and breakfast for much of it's life and allot of the guests had complained it was haunted Supposedly they would feel cold spots move across rooms and on and on. One of the most common and strange complaints were that they heard bells ringing at night and it was always the same story you were in the front master bedroom guest would report that they would here a single bell ring and then a short time later a buzzer would sound. in the back smaller room the guest complained that the bell would ring three times and then a few minutes later they would hear a buzzer also. And this would be repeated several times. There was also a smaller bedroom on the third floor that was quite attractive as it was a round room in one of the homes large turrets. Many guest refused to stay in the room after saying they had heard a crying child and nobody wanted to ever stay in that room again. I guess it got so bad they turned it into a reading room. Now we had no details at all this was all just stuff we were reading from the guest books that the owners had everyone sign after staying in the home over about a 40 year period. Now it all could have been just gossip passed along from guests reading earlier pages or talking to other guest I don't know. All I knew for sure was my wife who has always been afraid and very sensitive to things like that so she never even saw the books until much later, would never go up onto the third floor no matter what and another strange twist our dog wouldn't go to the third floor either again no matter what.

Now I never heard a single sound felt a draft or anything else of any kind, but my wife say's I'm only a little more sensitive then slump block so ??? but a weird thing did happen when we were cleaning out the earthen basement I found a large box full of electronics and when looking it over it turned out to be one of the very first home intercom stations installed into a residential home it dated for the early 30's and it had a large box 24" tall and 18" wide with beautifully etched layout of all four of the floors and next to each room was a series of switches and then there were a lot of smaller probably 6 inch square boxes each containing several contact switches as well as a small bell and a magnetic buzzer. and supposedly each room had a distinct number of bell rings that told you if were wanted or that dinner was ready whatever, and you pushed the buzzer which you could hear and it would light up a small light next to the bedroom that had called and you guessed it, the guest in the two rooms had heard the correct number of rings for the rooms they were staying in.

Final strange fact when we were about 70% done with the restoration we hit a snag as the home was old enough to be on both the National and State historic building registers so I had to start researching the past because I was required to paint the home one of the original paint schemes from the first 25 years of the homes first construction which was tough since from paint layers the home had been painted at leave 16 times including day glow orang trim when is was a commune of some sort in the late 60's so in doing the research we found the family that originally owned the home moved out after the tragic death of their youngest daughter who had been badly burned when a oil lamp fell from a shelf into her bed and she lived several months before succombing (dying) from a severe infection and the story had a quote from the doctor the she had been a brave young girl and he had enjoyed treating her except for climbing all the stairs to her room in the turret he said he was afraid the final small stairway might not hold his "Substantial bulk" was all the story said.

Make of the story whatever you will I don't know like I said I never heard, saw or felt a thing. But many others did over a really long span of time.

Ghosts are a weird thing we owned a old victorian home in Prescott Arizona that we bought in a very dilapidated condition we restored it and sold it. It's history showed that it had been a bed and breakfast for much of it's life and allot of the guests had complained it was haunted Supposedly they would feel cold spots move across rooms and on and on. One of the most common and strange complaints were that they heard bells ringing at night and it was always the same story you were in the front master bedroom guest would report that they would here a single bell ring and then a short time later a buzzer would sound. in the back smaller room the guest complained that the bell would ring three times and then a few minutes later they would hear a buzzer also. And this would be repeated several times. There was also a smaller bedroom on the third floor that was quite attractive as it was a round room in one of the homes large turrets. Many guest refused to stay in the room after saying they had heard a crying child and nobody wanted to ever stay in that room again. I guess it got so bad they turned it into a reading room. Now we had no details at all this was all just stuff we were reading from the guest books that the owners had everyone sign after staying in the home over about a 40 year period. Now it all could have been just gossip passed along from guests reading earlier pages or talking to other guest I don't know. All I knew for sure was my wife who has always been afraid and very sensitive to things like that so she never even saw the books until much later, would never go up onto the third floor no matter what and another strange twist our dog wouldn't go to the third floor either again no matter what.

Now I never heard a single sound felt a draft or anything else of any kind, but my wife say's I'm only a little more sensitive then slump block so ??? but a weird thing did happen when we were cleaning out the earthen basement I found a large box full of electronics and when looking it over it turned out to be one of the very first home intercom stations installed into a residential home it dated for the early 30's and it had a large box 24" tall and 18" wide with beautifully etched layout of all four of the floors and next to each room was a series of switches and then there were a lot of smaller probably 6 inch square boxes each containing several contact switches as well as a small bell and a magnetic buzzer. and supposedly each room had a distinct number of bell rings that told you if were wanted or that dinner was ready whatever, and you pushed the buzzer which you could hear and it would light up a small light next to the bedroom that had called and you guessed it, the guest in the two rooms had heard the correct number of rings for the rooms they were staying in.

Final strange fact when we were about 70% done with the restoration we hit a snag as the home was old enough to be on both the National and State historic building registers so I had to start researching the past because I was required to paint the home one of the original paint schemes from the first 25 years of the homes first construction which was tough since from paint layers the home had been painted at leave 16 times including day glow orang trim when is was a commune of some sort in the late 60's so in doing the research we found the family that originally owned the home moved out after the tragic death of their youngest daughter who had been badly burned when a oil lamp fell from a shelf into her bed and she lived several months before succombing (dying) from a severe infection and the story had a quote from the doctor the she had been a brave young girl and he had enjoyed treating her except for climbing all the stairs to her room in the turret he said he was afraid the final small stairway might not hold his "Substantial bulk" was all the story said.

Make of the story whatever you will I don't know like I said I never heard, saw or felt a thing. But many others did over a really long span of time.

I reckon the owners were playing hilarious pranks on guests to ensure a story of a "haunted house" would promote it through word of mouth and give the house more acclaim. I don't go for all that ghost nonsense myself. People being "more sensitive" to a supernatural state, poppycock again. If you allow yourself to believe in something you're going to suspect something "supernatural" is happening when it's not. The other day I was in bed and there was a loud crash downstairs in the kitchen, went down there and a glass and plate were on the floor and a draw was open! Poltergeist? No, my Dad had washed up and left the plate on the edge of the draining board, the plate swiped the glass and both ended up on the floor. He had also left the draw open from putting the cutlery away.

There is a logical explanation for everything. If you believe in other things, you're locked up in a magical world of fantasy. My advice, stop watching films, stop eating cheese before bed and "man up".

Get up to that third floor son, get up there and paint it blood red, really get things going.

Guest rogerb

Well...There's no such thing as a curse. But. If I said to you 'on Monday you'll trip and fall'! You'll be cautious of tripping on Monday which in turn will make you more liable to trip. So, a curse! Friday 13?

Ghosts? I think they are electrical energy left behind. I have first hand experience of this as I live in an old public library (Tolkien used to come in to read here!).

I have ghosts. I hear things of a night (books falling on the floor etc) and I see things too. So there is something in it. I'm not afraid of it or them though. My dogs certainly get spooked. I've had ghost hunts here and they've picked up some strange things. I'll post some pics below.

rednallibrary.jpg

Home.

DSCN1707.jpg

Now, my sister took this one night when she was 'dogsitting'. My dog got spooked and growled at this corner. So she took some pics. This is one of them.

Make of it what you wish.

I had a camera that did that until I cleaned the lens. Seriously! :rolleyes:

Archived