Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Block Inlay Reissue vs 1963 ES335 Block Inlay Reissue

aquat26

Hi,

I'm a new comer to the Gibson guitar world. I am looking at buying an ES335 Block Inlay Antique Red at the moment. I would to ask/know what the main diferences between the ES335 Block Inlay Reissue and the 1963 ES335 Block Inlay Reissue are? I have read about both and I'm not quite sure why the 1963 ES335 Block Inlay Reissue costs so much more than the ES335 Block Inlay Reissue.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Hello. Ok, so the 1963 Block Inlay Reissue has vintage specs, the body is all laminated maple, whereas the Block Inlay has a maple/poplar/maple body. There are various other differences (wiring, capacitors, hardware), the 1963 is more historically 'accurate'.

Is the 1963 wort the extra money? I don't know, really depends if you are into historical accuracy and most importantly, the guitar itself. I have a Memphis Block Inlay (the 1963 is made in Nashville) and also played a 1963 RI at the shop. Now price didn't worry me that much, I opted for the cheaper Block Inlay because it appealed to me a lot more (the neck, the antique faded cherry red finish as opposed to the faded cherry finish of the 63). I did change the PUs though to boutique ones as I didn't like the BB Pros.

Have said all that, you have to play them yourself to make a decision. Also consider that each guitar is different even if it is the same model, you get good ones and not so good ones regardless of price.

The one thing I can definitely say though is that the 1963 RI is brighter than the Memphis Block, probably due to the all maple body.

I preferred the darker sounding Memphis Block.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for that. Much apprciated. That confirms what I thought. I do however have a follow up question if you don't mind. Although I'm relativly new to guitars I have deceided to buy a good quality guitar from the get go. I've ordered an es335 block inlay reissue to be delivered to my local music store. I have played one at another store and thought it was fantastic. Is there a chance the one coming into my local store might not be so good? What should I look out for that might let it down? Am I wrong to assume that there is a high manufacturing standard on such an iconic, good quality, expensive instrument? Thanks once again for your advice.

You're welcome. There are chances that the one you ordered is different to the one you played but fingers crossed, you'll like it too. It's good that you get the chance to play it at the shop before buying. I once had a Strat that I ordered online due to it being cheaper than the one I tried in the shop. Big mistake.

Anyway, I don't want to freak you out [smile] Just browse the forum for Quality issues and you will get an idea what to look out for. On top of my head there was this 'crack-in-the-binding-issue' which a lot of members complained about...

Basically, carefully look at the Finish of the guitar, is there anything dodgy, you couldn't live with? Regarding the set-up: Best thing is to give it to a guitar tech for a set-up as the factory set-up in most cases isn't that great. This is normal and it is a common misconception that 'back in the day' (aka the 1960s) guitars came perfectly set up from the factory. Check the intonation and if there are any deadspots, if everything is fine, great, but I always recommend having it set up by a tech.

If it has flaws, ask yourself if you could live with them and possibly for a discount.

And finally, play it unplugged, does it resonate nicely (try putting a finger on the headstock and see if it vibrates when you pluck a string) and plug it into an amp: check bridge, middle and neck position, volume and tone controls.

That's it.

PS: Did you order the Memphis Block Inlay or the 1963 Block Reissue?

You're welcome. There are chances that the one you ordered is different to the one you played but fingers crossed, you'll like it too. It's good that you get the chance to play it at the shop before buying. I once had a Strat that I ordered online due to it being cheaper than the one I tried in the shop. Big mistake.

Anyway, I don't want to freak you out [smile] Just browse the forum for Quality issues and you will get an idea what to look out for. On top of my head there was this 'crack-in-the-binding-issue' which a lot of members complained about...

Basically, carefully look at the Finish of the guitar, is there anything dodgy, you couldn't live with? Regarding the set-up: Best thing is to give it to a guitar tech for a set-up as the factory set-up in most cases isn't that great. This is normal and it is a common misconception that 'back in the day' (aka the 1960s) guitars came perfectly set up from the factory. Check the intonation and if there are any deadspots, if everything is fine, great, but I always recommend having it set up by a tech.

If it has flaws, ask yourself if you could live with them and possibly for a discount.

And finally, play it unplugged, does it resonate nicely (try putting a finger on the headstock and see if it vibrates when you pluck a string) and plug it into an amp: check bridge, middle and neck position, volume and tone controls.

That's it.

PS: Did you order the Memphis Block Inlay or the 1963 Block Reissue?

Thanks once again for your advice. I ordered the Memphis Block Inlay. I'm a little concerned about my ability to hear or feel any problems with poor quality. As I said, I'm a beginner(I understand and play various scales, confident with open and bar chords and various strumming techniques) but still learning appeggios, licks, bending etc. Fingers crossed I get a good one. Cheers.

Aquat26,

I just received my Memphis block inlay, it is gorgeous, you can read my review and picture on the Gibson Custom website. Bottom line, flawless cosmetically, needed adjustments to truss rod and bridge height to get it setup properly, now plays awesome. I also was worried I would not like the Burstbuckers but now wouldn't change, they are great. I own a dozen very nice guitars including a 74 LP Custom, this ES has become my favorite. You will enjoy. Despite your inexperience, if you have the passion, this guitar will simply add fuel to your fire and will incentive you to play which in turn will increase your skill.

You have made a good decision that will give you a lifetime of enjoyment.

Archived