Gibson Brands Forums

The new Orange PC for home-recording

Riffster

I'm just going to say, that as a computer repair person, this is a terrible idea. It's a great concept and all, but imagine the terror in trying to reinstall the OS, unless it had a recovery partition. Even then, the hard drive could still fail. I just wouldn't touch it.

And it's not really the OS, it's the programs that come with it for recording, unless Orange has some kind of software section to their site or it comes with a disk.

I'm just going to say, that as a computer repair person, this is a terrible idea. It's a great concept and all, but imagine the terror in trying to reinstall the OS, unless it had a recovery partition. Even then, the hard drive could still fail. I just wouldn't touch it.

And it's not really the OS, it's the programs that come with it for recording, unless Orange has some kind of software section to their site or it comes with a disk.

As a computer repair guy and enthusiast myself, I agree with you on all points. I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. This is a terrible idea.

As a computer repair guy and enthusiast myself, I agree with you on all points. I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. This is a terrible idea.

I wonder how hard this would be to take apart? It also must weigh a ton. I'd also be nervous about my internal components being next to a speaker (magnet) as large as that.

Well, I'm not a computer repair man and I like it, so there......[flapper]

Joking apart; I hear what you're both (Buxom and Tman) saying re: the internals and stuff but in twenty-odd years of using them I've only ever had one PC fail on me so I'd probably be willing to take a chance with it due to its convenience factor...

P.

Kind of a cool idea but "all in one" products usually suck after a short while. Because it's two products in one, it always has twice the chance of failure or obsolescence of the entire system than each product would have individually. Like when my combination fax/scanner/copier/TV/Clock radio/gas grille dies, it's always just one of the individual components that dies, making the entire thing worthless.

These types of products will always get thrown out before all the components are broke.

Cool idea though.

Yeah, it's way cool and so retro it should have a staring role in the next Austin Power's, "The Spy Who Rocked Me All The Way To 11" movie!

It's not supposed to be a computer guy's...its supposed to be a Dedicated DAW with some frills of a computer.

Some thing like a DEVA machine but more "consumer computer" like so it's more friendly for the non-geek's out there.

I'm not going to go over my credentials to prove the point, but this is a total different beast than what you think. Current technology has addressed the types of concerns you described. Grab a spare drive you may have and rub it on the speaker magnate on your amp, You find the hard drive will be fine.

I'm not going to go over my credentials to prove the point, but this is a total different beast than what you think. Current technology has addressed the types of concerns you described. Grab a spare drive you may have and rub it on the speaker magnate on your amp, You find the hard drive will be fine.

Ha, I have an old Gateway. I could experiment on that.

I like the color, so it must be cool. :-s

[thumbup] [thumbup] [blink][lol] .......It is an interesting machine......There is a market for it........It's not for me, but, yeah, there is a market for it...........

ORANGE does not make products that fail to sell..............The included drum program should have been a much better one though...............

I didn't see anything about the version of Window's on Orange's web site, just that it was optimized for running audio and audio software etc.

This is just a concept at the moment, right? If so, it might. If they release it in a year or so, Windows 8 has a chance of ruining another PC. A friend geek friend of mine said that her friend got a copy of it from some convention. Apparently, Microsoft released it on flashdrives for a test market. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

This is just a concept at the moment, right? If so, it might. If they release it in a year or so, Windows 8 has a chance of ruining another PC. A friend geek friend of mine said that her friend got a copy of it from some convention. Apparently, Microsoft released it on flashdrives for a test market. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

I have Windows 8 running on my secondary computer. It is absolutely terrible! I'll be staying on Windows 7 until Microsoft can get their sh!t together. They built it for tablets, not PC's. Any hardcore desktop user will hate it.

I have Windows 8 running on my secondary computer. It is absolutely terrible! I'll be staying on Windows 7 until Microsoft can get their sh!t together. They built it for tablets, not PC's. Any hardcore desktop user will hate it.

I got to demo it back in October, but I didn't get one of the flash drive copies. I'm just curious. I'd also love a copy so my boss and I can have a ball. I'm not a fan of the app system it runs on. It's like a giant Windows Phone. Where'd you get your copy? And if you have the flash drive version, mail me one.

I got to demo it back in October, but I didn't get one of the flash drive copies. I'm just curious. I'd also love a copy so my boss and I can have a ball. I'm not a fan of the app system it runs on. It's like a giant Windows Phone. Where'd you get your copy? And if you have the flash drive version, mail me one.

Do you not follow these things? Windows 8 has been free to download straight from Microsoft for about the past six months.

You can download it right here: http://windows.micro...onsumer-preview

Geez man! What kind of tech guy are you? msp_flapper.gif

Do you not follow these things? Windows 8 has been free to download straight from Microsoft for about the past six months.

You can download it right here: http://windows.micro...onsumer-preview

Geez man! What kind of tech guy are you? msp_flapper.gif

I don't care much for Windows 8. it isn't a huge deal for me. I followed Windows 7 as it was being developed though. Honestly, I just want it so I can show people how hilariously bad it is.

(I think it'l be another Vista.)

This thing runs windows 7, it's all there in the website.

To me, based on the price seems like a good deal if it fits your needs.

I was surprised that it does not have an XLR input but rather a 1/4" for the mic.

It's a great concept and all, but imagine the terror in trying to reinstall the OS, unless it had a recovery partition. Even then, the hard drive could still fail. I just wouldn't touch it.

How would reinstalling the OS be a problem? It's just a PC, it would be a piece of p!ss. It's even got a DVD drive for crying out loud. Also you can guarantee it would come with a software disc.

I'm sorry but your reservations are baseless.

Archived