Gibson Brands Forums

gibson sg 1981

glider

hey i recently picked up a really nice gibson sg from 1981, very cool small rectanglar fret markers, small pickguard and bigger head stock- looks like a 61 re-issue in a lot of way. I am having some work done on it now (dropping classic 57's in her as the original pickups were gone...) what's the deal with the norlin era gibbies? i had heard that they really didn't get "bad" until 1984 or so.. as that is when gibson started playing with neck angle and the head stock.. can someone fill me in a bit on norlin gibbies..

post-33615-017745400 1335445010_thumb.jpg

Check me on this, but I believe what you have is a SG Standard. -That's how they made them in the late 70's/early 80's. Check this link on Everything SG's website. They have a pic of one like yours from 1975 in the photos at the bottom of the page. I think they're very awesome SG's. I'd love to have one myself. How do you like the 'harmonica' bridge? Happy NGD! [thumbup]

actually this is the early 80's gibbie sg

Check me on this, but I believe what you have is a SG Standard. -That's how they made them in the late 70's/early 80's. Check this link on Everything SG's website. They have a pic of one like yours from 1975 in the photos at the bottom of the page. I think they're very awesome SG's. I'd love to have one myself. How do you like the 'harmonica' bridge? Happy NGD! [thumbup]

post-33615-081257800 1335536877_thumb.jpg

Archived