Gibson Brands Forums

Help with RS Guitarworks with luxe bee caps

Eracer_Team

I wanted a simple, no tricks, no licks, no effects straight up shoot out of the gear; so what did I do? G Chords :)

gives all 6 strings and you have a chance to hear bottom and top ends at the same time.

The Gibson Standard wiring (if many don't know) is 300k Volume controls and 500k Tone control pots and a tiny ceramic tone capacitor.

(BTW Gibson in the old days used to use 500k/500k controls but sometime in the 80's changed to the 300/500 configuration, they also have more historic accurate guitars that will use the older wiring style and 500/500 pots but most conform to the 'new' modern wiring standards)

so what's the difference?

Modern wiring came at the end of 1959 and moved the tone cap to the center tab of the tone control, the 'vintage' wiring has the tone cap wired to the first lug of the tone pot.

(this changes tone as well.)

So like every project you never know how its going to turn out until you install stuff.

I purchased a RS Guitar Works Store link Vintage 50's wiring with RS Super CTS 550k pots and Luxe BumbleBee caps

(why bumble bee cap's? its supposed to be what were in Les Paul's in the 50's. It is a Paper in Oil cap vs a ceramic disk)

Here is the Sound Cloud account I have and uploaded the 2 tracks,, the "old" before and the "new" after.

Track 1 'RS Guitar Works Vintage' and Track 2 is Gibson Modern Wiring

Click on Track 1 just below the sound wave and it will play, then continue to the Track 2

I wish track 1 was the old pots and tack 2 was new but sound cloud uploaded them new first and old last

These 2 tracks are only on the neck pickup (can't find the bridge pickup recordings right now) and the volume and tone start at 0 and the volume increases to 10, then I increase the Tone control to 10.

It will be interesting the comments from "fellow cork sniffers" on what they think of the difference in sound (not necessarily the poor strumming)

This is all in pre-cursor for the installation of a new set of Seymour Duncan Joe Bonamassa signature Bona-PAF pickups.

(I should mention the stock pickups are currently the Gibson 490r/498t hot pickups and once the Bona-PAF's go in will be back at 1959 PAF spec's)

So which TONE do you like? Track 1 is the new RS Guitarworks and Track 2 is the old Gibson controls

Well CJ the audio file name would have given it away anyways ;)

I'm just not Mc-Loven this RS Pot set like I thought I would.

Well the comment on the RS Guitar Works site says "more usuable control"

What I hear is a big volume increase from 7-8 and not so much 8-10 and the mid-volume of 5-6 is pretty quiet, so I've asked RS GW for any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well CJ the audio file name would have given it away anyways ;)

I'm just not Mc-Loven this RS Pot set like I thought I would.

Well the comment on the RS Guitar Works site says "more usuable control"

What I hear is a big volume increase from 7-8 and not so much 8-10 and the mid-volume of 5-6 is pretty quiet, so I've asked RS GW for any ideas.

I agree. I am in the process of doing the same mod, and debating to wire 50's or modern. I think I am going to stay modern. There is a reason they changed, and I think I hear it. Modern allows more presence of the notes you are playing, rather than the background harmonics. A more "focused" sound, where you are almost being lost within your own guitar instead of cutting through the mix. Thanks for posting this. It helps me confirmn how or what direction I am going to go in.

22Frets

I took the guitar over to the store where I hang when I can.

The sales guys are honest and will give opinions and I bring a lot of my 'custom' gear there for them to test (esp my Joe Bonamassa Wah and the custom amp I built)

One of the guys there I probably trust the most was in and he took my guitar and played it through a Traynor YGL2 30 watt tube amp.

And all he had to say is this is one rock'n vintage sounding guitar. Smooth was the other word he used.

He thinks what I've recorded has to do with the pot taper and 50's vs Modern wiring (although he didn't hear them my recordings just my description).

I guess I just needed to turn up the mixer a bit more when I recorded since the RS pots are a very smooth taper when viewing the wave forms

When I get a chance I'll need to record now that the Seymour Duncan Custom Joe Bonamassa-Paf's are in.

I'll play it like it is, I'm sure it will 'grow' on me; with just a touch more volume on the amp setting.

BTW I compared it to a Gibson 58 Re-Issue Les Paul they had hanging on the wall and it was even "quieter" than my guitar, so I'll leave it.

Archived