Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 50s tribute

JohnnyReb

Well after sitting and thinking on it for too long, I finally pulled the trigger on a 50s tribute with humbuckers in vintage sunburst.

After spending my first day with It I'm fairly pleased so far. I'm new to the Les Paul world so I'm still adjusting to the feel. I like the fat 50s neck and the action from the factory is surprisingly good. Finish looks really good although it not slick and fancy, but I kinda like that.

Sound.....well I'm still experimenting in that area. Although my twin reverb amp is out of service for awhile which really sucks. I'm having to use a frontman 15r practice amp and it's really hard to judge sound by it. I do know I have to keep the volume WAY down because it seems to overwhelm the small amp. Bass set at 1 and the guitar still rattles the speaker. It doesn't seem to have as much treble as I expected but once again I'm not going to make a real judgment until I get my good amp going again. I do like a poppy treble at my bridge pickup and I think I may have to adjust the pickup some to get that a little closer to my liking, if possible. May need a little coaching on how to pull the cleanest and best treble response out of it.

But all in all I'm pretty pleased. Looks good, feels good, plays good. Just wish to god my good amp was going. May require a little pickup tinkering to obtain the bridge sound I'm after but I think it will get there. One cool thing about it was it left Gibson on 12/21/11 so it must have been in the last batch made of the 50s tribute. Anyhow I give it a big thumbs up so far [thumbup]

Archived