Gibson Brands Forums

low Impedance pickup needed

Hi, I have a Les paul Jumbo with a bad pickup. I have been unable to source a replacement. I believe the same pickup is used in the other circa 1970 LP low impedance models such as the LP Recording and the LP Personal. Does anyone know of a replacement or someone who repairs them?

thanks,

Jack

No really. I have a bunch of mid 70's gibson pickup parts and might be able to make a new one or even rebuild your old one. Some peple will tell you that those epoxy potted pikcups can't be fixed but I've have done it a few times on 70's Gibson bass pickups.

A picture would tell me if I have the right parts.

No really. I have a bunch of mid 70's gibson pickup parts and might be able to make a new one or even rebuild your old one. Some peple will tell you that those epoxy potted pikcups can't be fixed but I've have done it a few times on 70's Gibson bass pickups.

A picture would tell me if I have the right parts.

I think the pickup is okay. I messed with it a bit yesterday and go tit through my amp. I think I may have a bad in/out switch. I get sound in the IN position but not the OUT. I may not be hooked up right to my amp yet either. I am using a low Z to high Z transformer meant for a microphone and I get a lot of buzz. I can connect directly to the MIC input using a 1/4" to Mic adaptor and that gets rid of the buzz. The output seems pretty weak, I am at pretty much full volume on the Amp and the guitar I'm using a 15 watt acoustic amp, which may not be enough power. Anyway, I may still need a pickup. but it looks more like a short/bad connection at the In/Out switch. I am going to put a few pics up. If you want to see more, let me know.

I ran out of space. I'll put some other pics on an external site or a different post.

Jack

Thanks for the help and advice.

post-43354-032654200 1335737023_thumb.jpg

post-43354-038948900 1335737052_thumb.jpg

Yep, those are the covers and bobbins I have here.

Sounds like you have an early one. The transformer was built into the cord on those. Later models had the transformer mounted in the guitar if memory serves me right.

LPSignature.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest on my LP Jumbo. I just bought an original, used pickup on Ebay. I pulled all the components from the guitar and before swapping pickups, I checked resistance across both the pickup in the guitar and the one off ebay. Both are measuring slightly over 10 ohms across the 2 leads. I left the original pickup in place and cleaned all the components as best I could with contact cleaner, particularly the In/Out switch contacts. After re-assembly I am getting much stronger sound through my 15W amp, but only in the Out position. I am going through the Mic in jack on the amp, using a generic XLR 3-pin to 1/4" adaptor. I wonder if I am getting a signal from the In side of the switch through the adaptor. I have seen a lot of favorable comments on the Shure A95U XLRM adaptor, maybe I should try one? Is there any way to check the pickup, other than resistance? Does anyone know how the In/Out circuit works ? Apparently the other controls, Decades, Bass and Treble don't function in the Out position.

Archived