Gibson Brands Forums

Guess Who's Birthday It Is Today?!?!?!?!?!

kaleb

Today is Ace Frehley's birthday. Just wanted to say that, I think we should wish our heroes happy birthday more often around here! This August, Alex Lifeson's gonna get a mention from me!

Happy B-Day Space Ace! We love ya', we laugh with ya'. Now, I'm gonna go listen to some Frehley's Comet stuff (Stranger In A Strange Land features what I think is his greatest solo ever!).

I was supposed to play on the 27th, and my band covers Snow Blind (from his 1978 solo album), but it didn't work out. So instead, my friend recorded me jammin' on another song from his album, I'm In Need Of Love (Damn, he should start playing it live! Along with Ozone and Wiped Out...), with my DigiTech processor, no less (I don't use it with the band, but it is killer for home use when I need a Marshally tone at bedroom levels. The amp modeling is pretty good when ran thru a PA or my Genz Benz acoustic amp, AKA Plexi Jr., as it overdrives like a tube amp when cranked, and sounds and feels like a good tube amp, but not with my main amps). It was pretty f@#$kin loud!

FenderGuy1, you like Ace? Didn't think you would. Look up his cover of Foxy Lady. It's pretty good (because he didn't copy it note for note. He originalized it, which is the right thing to do), and funny too (Ace's voice. Need I say more?). And Richie Scarlet (his rhythm player) shredded the hell out of it! The Aussie KISS fans (and Ace fans) love him dearly because the top KISS albums there are, oddly enough, Dynasty (or Dinasty, as they pronounce it) and Unmasked. And Ace wrote some great songs (the best songs on those two records are his IMHO. I love most of the other stuff on Dynasty too though, especially Sure Know Something and Peter's song Dirty Livin'. But I Was Made For Loving You and most of Unmasked despite She's So European being a half-decent power pop tune are BLAAAHH! But that's just me. I Was Made For Loving You is actually a pretty great song, but it is a crappy KISS song. Same goes for The Elder. Good stuff but with the wrong band.) during that period and kind of kept the band heavy. Talk To Me (from Unmasked) was a hit down under, as was one of Ace's most well-known songs, 2,000 Man (Dynasty) which is actually a Stones song (from Her Satanic Majesties Request or whatever that record is called), albeit a weird one. And KISS's 1980 tour of Australia (In support of Unmasked, which North America disowned, and also the first tour with Eric Carr) was one of their best sounding tours to date. The only bad part is that the recordings of those shows (like the one on Kissology 2) aren't what they should be.

Like I stated before, WE NEED MORE BIRTHDAY THREADS!

Archived