Gibson Brands Forums

Using volumn knob to clean up tone

slowhandJames

Hello yall...I was wondering when you roll back your volumn to clean up the amps distortion..is this better in Modern style wiring and is it wrong to use vintage wiring if you want to clean up your tone by volumn rolloff..as I have learned that in modern wiring you have tone roll off as well when you roll back your volumn... thus "I would think" cleaning up your tone, but in vintage wiring you do not have tone roll off as well,thus not cleaning up your tone... [confused] I would believe its better to have modern wiring ...am I understanding this correctly...I appreciate any knowledge you can afford me Thanx James [thumbup]

Thanks ..It just seems from what I've read that the modern would be better than the vintage ,because with modern you have a audible tone decline in treble response,which would give you more control over your overall sound..Vintage only lessons the volumn..Thanx for the info ..and you keep up that badbluesplaying which I'm sure is fantastic...LOL...In my case its true I'm Slowhand<<<LAUGHS>>>

I just read your post a couple of times and I still don't know what your talking about. I must be missing something. Rolling off the volume control with modern wiring will clean up your amps distortion, but there is a noticeable treble drop which alters your tone. With vintage 50's wiring you can roll off the volume and clean up also but it retains the treble so your tone is not altered, just the volume is lowered and cleaned up. Also with 50's wiring there are infinite amount of tone variations available. Now your tell me which one would you prefer to have.

Check this out; http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/169666-videos-how-50s-wiring-works-my-own-sg.html

I just read your post a couple of times and I still don't know what your talking about. I must be missing something. Rolling off the volume control with modern wiring will clean up your amps distortion, but there is a noticeable treble drop which alters your tone. With vintage 50's wiring you can roll off the volume and clean up also but it retains the treble so your tone is not altered, just the volume is lowered and cleaned up. Also with 50's wiring there are infinite amount of tone variations available. Now your tell me which one would you prefer to have.

Check this out; http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/169666-videos-how-50s-wiring-works-my-own-sg.html

Thanx Jonsey...My ?'s were answered buy your 50's wiring video...Sorry for confusing you as I was looking for not affecting tone but only lowering the breakup of the amp via volumn rolloff..and it seems from your video's I have found my answer ...Thank You for your help..have also watched other video's of yours..very informative...Thanx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

The "Memphis" wiring on my ES-339 works great with my non-master Mesa Blue Angel. It's an amp that begs to be cranked for a buttery attack.

Having said that, my '08 Studio has an awesome tone as well and became my weapon of choice in the final months of gigging bars. I really like the chambered Les Pauls even though a lot of people don't.

I must admit to not knowing there was a different wiring scheme! I can only think of two ways of wiring a volume pot (1) pickup across the two ends, output from the wiper, or (2) Pickup from one end to the wiper, and output from the other end. The former seems like it would effect tone less because it keeps a relatively similar load on the pickup, irrespective of the position of the volume pot??

It appears after years of tweaking here and there, that the various wiring style is just there for convenience. I remember in the early 60's, guys tweaked the 50's wiring to modern wiring. Gibson then, made the modern wiring factory standard. Now, most guys are tweaking back and prefer the 50's wiring.

I'm more convinced (with any type of wiring) that you can get the sound using your ears. I just crank the amp up, set the EQ, and clean up the sound by lowering the guitar volume down to as low as 2-3 settings with trebble settings to taste. You have to learn how to use your particular guitar controls with your amp of choice...keep it simple and trust your ears. Overwhelming compliments from your audience will confirm your settings...but mostly tone is your fingers and soul.

Of course, temper the sound to the type of music you play and the size of venue. [thumbup] Rock on!

The "Memphis" wiring on my ES-339 works great with my non-master Mesa Blue Angel. It's an amp that begs to be cranked for a buttery attack.

Having said that, my '08 Studio has an awesome tone as well and became my weapon of choice in the final months of gigging bars. I really like the chambered Les Pauls even though a lot of people don't.

Your Memphis wiring is the same as 50's wiring. Everyone whoever played a 339 raved about the tone and then everyone found out it was 50's wiring with a new name.

Archived