Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk Custom Reissue

mighty4th

I picked up a fireburst Nighthawk after seeing it at my local store. What a great guitar. I had no intention of buying another axe because my collection is at 20 right now. Playing it was such a high, I had to have it. It plays as well as my Gibsons.

Give this one a try and you will see what I mean. All the sounds are there(for me anyway}. The build and finish are top notch. The light weight is nice too. I have been playing for 39 years and I havn't been this excited about a new guitar since my first Gibson Les Paul.

I have been playing for 39 years and I havn't been this excited about a new guitar since my first Gibson Les Paul.

You took the words right out of my mouth ! I have also been playing about 40 years and i've been saying this exact same thing since i got mine 4 or 5 months ago. In fact i just posted elsewhere saying that if i could go back and do the probably several thousand gigs i did over the course of about 25 years all over again and had the choice of doing them all with just one guitar, the NH would be my choice. You can't tell people how great they are at forums because no one believes it. I can't blame them, as i read ravings about gear and I don't really believe it till i have it in my hands. People rave about all sorts of things that turn out to be not so great, so it's always questionable. But I just know that given the chance to spend a few days with one, most people would feel the same. But 1-most people don't have one locally to try, and 2-even if they do they may not "get it" right away and be compelled to buy. I found mine at GC and i didn't buy it right away because as much as i liked it i really couldn't be sure of how much i might come to like it being such a different guitar from anything else. I saw it there for a month every time i went in and no one bought it in that time so I started wondering if others found it less than great and that made me hold back from pulling my wallet. Then one day about a month after i 1st saw it i was playing it and it just struck mt that this thing just seems too good to be a mistake and I figured what the heck, GC gives you 30 days so what have i go to lose. And once i got it home it didn't take long to realize this thing may be the greatest design any guitar company has ever come up with. Total gibson ease of play with one of the best necks i have ever felt, great gibson LP tone even tho it has a 25.5" scale, fender tones close enough to be scary courtesy of aforementioned scale, light as a feather, looks to die for, and all at a ridiculously low price. Incredible buy. I can't tell people enough to just buy one of these. Buy from a place with a return policy if you're worried, but get one. It's a rare opportunity because a guitar this special comes along once in a lifetime.

All that said, there are imperfections. It's neck heavy, but use a leather strap with a suede type inner surface and that fixes that issue. The neck and bridge pickups blow could be much better, but duncan makes two slanted humbuckers especially for the nighthawk. One person here got the 59 model and said it kills compared to the stock, so i bought one myself and it should arrive early this coming week. And last but by no means least, and in fact MOST importantly, CHANGE THE SADDLES ! I and another guy both did this and found the tone was much improved to say the least. The stock saddles are pot metal and just kill the tone. I have a set of vintage fender style callahams on it now and trust me on this, the guitar improved tonally big time. For $40 this is the worlds biggest no brainer. Just do it ! Google callaham guitar and on his site go to "strat parts" and scroll down the page till you see the 2-1/16" saddles. They are the correct size for the NH. There are others much cheaper, but i have tried a lot of saddles on strats and at one point A/B's 4 or 5 sets on my main strat and found the callahams beat them all tonally. $40 and your NH will sound 30% better if not 50. Much clearer, more resonant, and the harmonics are complex and droolworthy. I can only imagine how it's going to sound once i get the new bridge pup in, and soon i'll be looking for a much cleaner lower output mini in the neck. Middle pickup i feel is fine as is.

Archived