Gibson Brands Forums

R4 vs R6 and 1954 custom

nitefly

I am thinking of part exchanging my Les Paul STD 2008 model (R9 if you are reading this you were right), as I want an LP with P90's for blues playing. I bought an R8 VOS 3 months ago and love everything about it. I am looking at either the R4, R6 or 1954 LP Custom shop.

Although I like the 1954 custom, I am leaning more toward either the R4 or R6. So far I have only heard demos and have not gone to play any, I am planing to do this later in the year and will start the hunt in due course. I would like to hear opinions/experiences of these guitars and welcome any input you may like to offer. Many thanks

I remember a friend from years ago who used an actual '50's vintage Les Paul Standard in his Blues band. I think it may have been a '56. It sounded amazing. It had P-90's, so it was older than '57. It had a factory silver top finish, instead of the usual gold top. i have never run into another silver top.

I'm always right!! [lol]

I had a 2008 R6 for a while. Great sounding guitar but the single coil hum eventually lead me to sell it.

Keep in mind that necks vary. Gold top R4/R6s should be about the same or have a slightly fatter neck than your R8. Gibson supposedly changed the neck shapes for 2009 to slim them down a little and give them less shoulders. The post 2009 Customs I've played all still had the older, rounder neck shape with heftier shoulders. New Customs also didn't get the much nicer nylon nut for some reason.

I'm always right!! [lol]

I had a 2008 R6 for a while. Great sounding guitar but the single coil hum eventually lead me to sell it.

Keep in mind that necks vary. Gold top R4/R6s should be about the same or have a slightly fatter neck than your R8. Gibson supposedly changed the neck shapes for 2009 to slim them down a little and give them less shoulders. The post 2009 Customs I've played all still had the older, rounder neck shape with heftier shoulders. New Customs also didn't get the much nicer nylon nut for some reason.

Thanks Tim [biggrin]

That has given me something to think about. I really like the neck on my R8, and I am intrigued to check out the new or fatter profiles. I wasn't aware P90s were subjective to humming. I have checked out a number of R4 and R6 demo's and the tone was killer - can't wait to try them out for myself. I wasn't very taken by the 1954 LP custom vos, from the demo it seemed more adapted to Jazz with that alnico v pup in the neck. However, I will check that out too if I can find one. I was checking out your gear page and noticed your 57 custom vos. How do you like that guitar? I know you changed the pups but would the originals be closer to my R8?

I remember a friend from years ago who used an actual '50's vintage Les Paul Standard in his Blues band. I think it may have been a '56. It sounded amazing. It had P-90's, so it was older than '57. It had a factory silver top finish, instead of the usual gold top. i have never run into another silver top.

Thanks Bob!

I wouldn't rely on on-line demo videos too much. R4 Customs can do jazz but they're great blues/rock machines.

Love my Custom. Some Customs can sound dark/muddy/warm since they don't have maple tops. Mine was fairly muddy but new pickups cleaned that right up. It didn't sound the greatest when I bought it but bought it knowing I would have to change out the pickups. On the flip side, I have played a few R7 Customs that were really bright sounding guitars. Just like anything, they vary. The stock pickups were the same BBs as your R8 but pickups can vary just as much as guitars do.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can take a few pictures of a few of my necks to give you a better idea of what they're like.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Gibson not producing the 1954 Les Paul VOS (Black Beauty) any more or is it that they just don't make many of this model compared to the other reissues? I can't find any anywhere in Rome, and none of the dealers can tell me if they will receive any with the next shipment as they say the Custom shop decides which models will be sent.

I'm sure they are still made. That model is still on Gibson.com. They are made in much fewer numbers, yes.

Thanks Tim. I'm not having much luck so far, I can't even find an R7 Custom historic Reissue (black beauty). The only Black beauties I have found are the regular customs. I sure hope we get see to some new stock in my neck of the woods soon. I have serious GAS!! [unsure]

Archived