Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Gibson, not for me but a NGD.

zombywoof

I went out yesterday afternoon to goof around a bit and came home with a guitar for my wife - a 12 stringer. She used to love to play and is actually pretty good but just does not pick up a guitar that much any more so I was hoping something new and different might fire her up.

I brought her a 1972 Guild F112 for a weekend test drive. While I don't give too much thought to "tonewoods" when checking out guitars, I do take a good look at the top wood. While this may have been a towards the bottom of the Guild food chain guitar, the top came from one really good quartered piece of spruce. Nice close, even grain and a ton of silking. Nice!

Sound - I ain't much of a 12 string guy. When I have played them I removed the three lowest octave strings. The little Guild though was louder and had more presence than I expected. Good balance although a bit bright sounding probably due to the smaller body size. My wife so far has really taken a liking to the guitar. If she decides down the road it ai't for her, it wil make some good trade bait.

GuildF112006.jpg

Yeah, Guilds have a heck of a rep for their 12 strings. The F112 was one of the models they come up with right around the time they were beinning to make the move from Hoboken to Westerly. I figured I ain't gonna do any better in the $500-$600 range.

Looks great.

Aren't 12 strings fun?

I am still enjoying my Gibson B25-12N immensely. It has a 2 inch odd nut and wide spacing, so I have found thumbpick and fingerpick gets the dual strings humming better than bare fingers, but it is then very loud in my little music room! For old fave songs, I like to strum (up AND down) with my bare thumb and have developed a nice callous in the process. Give that a try if you haven't already and go through a few chords and vocals from Chordie.com old faves! It is the most fun you can have with your feet dry.

BluesKing777.

Yeah, Hoboken and Westerly-made Guild 12 stringers have one heck of reputation. You do gotta dig a little deeper in your pockets for a Hoboken-made Guild. Nothing to do with the guitars as they are identical - you just gotta ante up for that bit of extra Mojo. The Guild that I would love to get hold of is an F-30 Aragon. Never played one that I would not have taken home with me on the spot.

Been putzing with the guitar for a bit now - Statesboro Blues finally sounds right.

My wife would agree with the comment that the Guild has perfect string spacing for flatpicking and strumming. Folks who play with their fingers like me though may take a while to adjust to it.

Sound - this was Guild's smallest body 12 stringer so the bass is not the fullest you are going to hear. The mids though are nice and round and the sucker does shimmer on the upper end. And it does have plenty of volume - it will ring out and just keep going.

Archived