Gibson Brands Forums

tone comparison thread...Sunday fun

markwillplay

Here is A vs B

this is just for fun. I will tell what the guitars are after a bit..but both are hog slopes...one shallower than the other...one has carpathian spuce top and the other adirondak.

To be far, one does have older elixer strings on it..but this ain't rocket science..just for fun, which do you like better for what? I play a bit with bare fingers, flatpick (strum), and metal fingerpicks...I left out single not flatpicking but they respond very differently to that as well.

there is a little compression and a little verb...large diaphram condencer mic into boss dig 8 track.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11607149&q=hi&newref=1

how bout that. Guitar B is much wrmer in person. I should have changed the strings on it becuase I think that the elixers (very old) have dulled the wonds and made the trebs stand out. I will tell you this...guitar A is very new...gutar B is well played in and mellower by far in person. How bout that. Great comments. I'll tell what the guitars are soon. One is inded a Gibson.

Guitar A kind of blows B away..though sound is not everything, feel & which inspires music out of you is pretty much as important.

Comparison A: Guitar B sounds as if lower strings have almost a blanket on them.

Comparison B: Guitar B has silky ,really nice sound on thinner strings but thick ones hardly any response.

Comparison C: Guitar A ...responsive & loud on every string.. Guitar B..Lower strings kind of deaf..thinner strings nice.

Hopefully the old strings are on B..but Elixers really do sound good for a long long time..mmm.

I would rather say how I would use the guitars rather than really pick one, but if I had to...............

Guitar B for me is the one (J45 ?), I think this would work with just solo guitar and voice better than Guitar A

But I do think I would prefer Guitar A in a full band setting

Just a guess. Guitar A sound, (to me and on this little laptop) has complexity and overtones - sounds is warm and round. Sounds Rosewood to me.

Guitar B - string clarity and crispness - Mahogany. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the Gibson.

Course, I'm deaf in one ear, and blind in the other...

Guitar A has better balance across the board. Guitar B has bright trebles and dull basses.

But if you are going to make meaningful A/B comparisons between guitars, you really need to use the same strings, and the strings need to be of the same age. Otherwise, relatively subtle differences like these are meaningless to analyze. It's like trying to compare the performance of two athletes when one is in peak health, and the other has a bad cold.

Nothing makes more difference that strings.

totally agree about the strings.. and some were right on. Guitar B has elixers and they are very old... The wounds are way dull..yes, like a blanket. I did not realize they were that old until I started playing it. I would not record with it that way for sure. And that guitar likes the phosphor bronze elixers a lot.

I would do a comparison at some point with same strings, but in case I don't, here is what B sounds like with good strings

this is from my last cd "Tryin' Man" http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11607747&q=hi&newref=1

you can go to http://markcrawfordwilliams.com/ and just click on Tryin Man and sample all the tunes. YOu can hear it strummed, fingerpicked, and also flatpicked (with some solos). It is the only guitar I used on the entire project. Did not have the new one yet and it probably would not have made much difference. Guitar B is the best recording guitar I have owned. It is indeed the Gibson OJ reissue that I have had for a while...love it. Guitar A is a custom j45 copy that was made thinner for me. I also had some brace work done on it by Bryan Kimsey and it really opened it up. I like them both, but the Gibson has more sustain and sounds very even top to bottom with good strings. The other one has more high end bite believe it or not but the mids are really coming and it is going to be a great sounding guitar. In about a year, this guitar will be super I think.

I found pick thickness to have the biggest single difference in tone, even more than strings.

Guitar A has better balance across the board. Guitar B has bright trebles and dull basses.

But if you are going to make meaningful A/B comparisons between guitars, you really need to use the same strings, and the strings need to be of the same age. Otherwise, relatively subtle differences like these are meaningless to analyze. It's like trying to compare the performance of two athletes when one is in peak health, and the other has a bad cold.

Nothing makes more difference that strings.

I found pick thickness to have the biggest single difference in tone, even more than strings.

I can't argue with that. Pick thickness and material, as well as strings, are the biggest controllable variables in the tone of any acoustic guitar. Both have a huge impact.

Archived