Gibson Brands Forums

Tone - Aluminum or Standard Stop Bar

glennc

Hello,

I have purchased a new Les Paul Traditional. Love it. Probably my final LP. I am considering modifying it to produce a more mellow/vintage tone. Plays through a Fender Blues Jr. I have read various opinions on the value of the light weight of the aluminum nickeled stop bar. Wondering if I could get some experienced advice on the value of changing it over from the stock one. I am an amateur, but to my ear the 57 and 57+ pickups sound too trebly. Thanks for any assistance.

Glenn

Hello,

I have purchased a new Les Paul Traditional. Love it. Probably my final LP. I am considering modifying it to produce a more mellow/vintage tone. Plays through a Fender Blues Jr. I have read various opinions on the value of the light weight of the aluminum nickeled stop bar. Wondering if I could get some experienced advice on the value of changing it over from the stock one. I am an amateur, but to my ear the 57 and 57+ pickups sound too trebly. Thanks for any assistance.

Glenn

Changing the stop bar to relieve a little weight is OK. Personally, I don't believe the choice of stop bar material affects your tone one way or another because the coupling of vibration between strings and body is at the bridge.

IMHO, mellowing out your tone should start with the electronics. Before changing anything, try experimenting with the tone knobs, you'll be surprised at how much they can affect your sound. Good luck! [thumbup]

Changing the stop bar to relieve a little weight is OK. Personally, I don't believe the choice of stop bar material affects your tone one way or another because the coupling of vibration between strings and body is at the bridge.

IMHO, mellowing out your tone should start with the electronics. Before changing anything, try experimenting with the tone knobs, you'll be surprised at how much they can affect your sound. Good luck! [thumbup]

Howdy and thanks for your response. I am blue skying my new LP Traditional. I am running through a Fender Blues Jr. and it doesn't quite make it. I believe you are correct though in overall effect!! Appreciate your time!

Glenn

Archived