Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L5 serial number / year?

Gibsongal

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me figure out the age of a Gibson Custom L5 I've inherited from my father. I'm actually interested in selling it, but not sure if the age makes a huge difference. It's in mint condition. The serial number is 8 digits as follows: 21916003. I've tried the Blue book on Gibson serial numbers, but I can't seem to make sense of it.

Thanks,

Gibsongal

I've uploaded a couple of photos. The serial number is not 100% clear in the photo, but it's the numbers I wrote above. I can't get an additional photo of the label, as the guitar is out of town at my mother's.

Thanks a lot for your help.

post-43349-014014800 1335977809_thumb.jpg

post-43349-037289300 1335977833_thumb.jpg

post-43349-090187300 1335978031_thumb.jpg

Makes no sense at all. It's basically the '2' that's throwing us off...

It looks for all the world like a "2" in the photograph, but that implies a numbering system that I simply don't know.

Hi all: Gibson electric archtop models use a unique serial number system, where the 1st and 5th number is the year, but rather than begin with the 3rd digit in the year (e.g. 2006, the 1st and 5th would normally read 0 and 6), the serial begins with the 1st digit (e.g., 2006 would be 2 and 6). That said, the serial number on your guitar appears perfectly normal for a 2006 model. I hope this helps.

Hi all: Gibson electric archtop models use a unique serial number system, where the 1st and 5th number is the year, but rather than begin with the 3rd digit in the year (e.g. 2006, the 1st and 5th would normally read 0 and 6), the serial begins with the 1st digit (e.g., 2006 would be 2 and 6). That said, the serial number on your guitar appears perfectly normal for a 2006 model. I hope this helps.

So does this mean (for the future) that we will be unable to determine whether a guitar was made in 2006, 2016, 2026, etc.? the "other" system at least was good for a 100-year cycle.

So does this mean (for the future) that we will be unable to determine whether a guitar was made in 2006, 2016, 2026, etc.? the "other" system at least was good for a 100-year cycle.

Yep, another BRILLIANT idea from Gibson by another EINSTEIN that has been promoted beyond his paygrade and IQ.

Can someone with kahunas at the "company" stand up and say "nevermind, bad idea". I guess the next step will be to start using six-digit duplicate numbers from the 60's again, they've only been used two or three times already, I'm sure there good for another few uses!

I guess the next step will be to start using six-digit duplicate numbers from the 60's again, they've only been used two or three times already, I'm sure there good for another few uses!

Yaaayyy!!!

"1964 or 1967 or 2012"

"Hello, I have a 1964 Songwriter Deluxe, serial number XXXXXX. The label says "Bozeman Montana" but I read they didn't begin production until 1988 or 1989. Could this be an early prototype? Also, 1964 Gibsons typically have Kluson tuners but this one clearly has Gotohs. Could they have been replaced?"

A rubber stamp with the date on it. Any date that's close enough. Doesn't matter if it's when the top braces are put on or when the guy is putting it in the case for shipping.... we're only talking a range of a couple weeks anyway.... A RUBBER STAMP WITH A DATE. What a concept.

A rubber stamp with the date on it. Any date that's close enough. Doesn't matter if it's when the top braces are put on or when the guy is putting it in the case for shipping.... we're only talking a range of a couple weeks anyway.... A RUBBER STAMP WITH A DATE. What a concept.

Far too simple and logical.......

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me figure out the age of a Gibson Custom L5 I've inherited from my father. I'm actually interested in selling it, but not sure if the age makes a huge difference. It's in mint condition. The serial number is 8 digits as follows: 21916003. I've tried the Blue book on Gibson serial numbers, but I can't seem to make sense of it.

Thanks,

Gibsongal

All Year 2000s Custom Shop Gibsons begin with 2. So, your father's L-5 Custom was the 3rd guitar made on the 191st day of 2006 hence 21916003.

Assuming that it is in Excellent, Excellent Plus to Mint condition, I'd place a value between $5000.00 and $6500.00. Just from examining your pictures, you're more likely to fetch a value of $5500.00 to $6000.00 for one with no deep scratches, dings or dents, no cracks or repairs, all original parts, practically new frets, no grooves in the fretboard, etc.. Don't throw out the original hang-tags, case candy, Gibson papers and Certificate of Authenticity if there is one. These things add value to the guitar. Don't tighten the strings if you do not know what you are doing.

• 4 years later...
... Gibson electric archtop models use a unique serial number system, where the 1st and 5th number is the year, but rather than begin with the 3rd digit in the year (e.g. 2006, the 1st and 5th would normally read 0 and 6), the serial begins with the 1st digit (e.g., 2006 would be 2 and 6). ...

Yep, another BRILLIANT idea from Gibson by another EINSTEIN that has been promoted beyond his paygrade and IQ.

Can someone with kahunas at the "company" stand up and say "nevermind, bad idea". I guess the next step will be to start using six-digit duplicate numbers from the 60's again, they've only been used two or three times already, I'm sure there good for another few uses!

Sigh . . . . When did this start? . How long will it take them to update their serials webpages with this info? . A coupla more years?

Archived