Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the worst car ever?

dem00n

That Edsel has a certain gawky beauty about it...and the name has become part of folklore...

Citroens IMO represent some of the most stylish original designs in auto engineering

Their diesel engines in particular are rated highly...in the past their chassis/body panels prone to rust...

And indifferent build quality a missed opportunity....

V

:-({|=

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother had a Vega GT... That was a great car. In 1973, soon after buying a bran new Vaga GT, my brother went to Europe and le me use his car while he was gone. I decided to drive the car to Watkins Glen New York for the Summer Jam Concert with three friends. I loved that car, it was dark green with a big fat white racing stripe down the center of the car, tan vinyl interior and manual transmission... Very peppy and light, had an aluminum motor. Well the car survived the concert trip and my brother had it for many years after that... It did get some nasty body rought twards the end though... I'll never for get my brothers reaction when he cam home from Europe after a month an I had put 3000 miles on his new car... [sneaky]

My mother had a candy apple red Edsel with black tuck and roll interior... Loved that car too...

Iam with you the vega wasnt the best car but aqdequate the yugo is the epitome of bad, then the renault then pretty much what was mentioned above! <_<

Yugo. translated, "You go, the car stays"

An other problem that exacerbated the Yugo experience was the fall of the Iron curtain and the dissolution of Yugoslavia, where it was made.

I have seen, in my area, a Yugo traversing the highways during morning and evening commute. It is white. Some day I will follow that car to the owner's lair. I suspect the trans and engine are not OEM. It appeared about the time gas crossed the $2.50 mark.

Except for the junk engine, trans, lack of radio, and uncomfortable seating, it was a decent car. [sneaky]

I took this picture about 2 years ago:

100_0050-1.jpg

You can't see it, but there is one more in the drive-way. I suspect this guy is the largest owner of Pinto wagons in the free world. One or more may be a Mercury Bobcat. Owing to the increased steel at the back end, the wagons were not as prone to fireball rear-enders as the hatch backs.

As far as I know all specimens of this herd are still licensed and in drivable condition.

YUGO!! LOL!! We had a 88 Yugo GT. we live in new england, in the winter, guys, believe me when I tell ya, that car would go ANYWHERE, however, everything on the car would just fall off. For example, driving down the road, hit a bump, rear view mirror falls off, try to adjust the seat "Boing!" latch breaks, seat then had to be secured with a milk crate (well AMP Stand).. one after noon, wife shuts the car off, pulls out the key, the freakin car starts, putting the key back in, will not shut it off,, great,, now what??

Never a dull moment with that thing...

[woot]

Worst car I ever had bar none was an Alfa Romeo. Absolute pile of s***.

But prior to that, the worst money-pit of a car I ever had was a Citroen. Don't ever buy a Citroen. I paid about £600 and over the next 2 yrs spend at least that every 3 months on repairs. Something was always failing...I will say again, don't ever buy a Citroen.

Through the 1980s I had BMW 2002s; expensive to run but worth it because of the incredible performance - excellent machinery.

What Alfa did you have?

I understand some are crap but some are really good.

It's my observation that a lot of good cars have had poor build quality at various points in time.

The question too is whether a vehicle was used for conditions/use that it was designed for. The Yugo-Fiat, for example, was essentially a short-range vehicle whereas a 1958 Ford/Chevy/Chrysler flagship was designed to carry a family in comfort for hours on relatively straight highways.

An additional difficulty in the US since the 1960s is when federal smog regulation, etc., began requiring various "stuff" added to vehicles that may or may not have been such that would make sense with a given vehicle use, and may have had adverse effects on a vehicle's function.

E.g., we've had far more grass fires - including those starting forest fires - since the catalytic jobbie was added to the bottom of vehicles.

To an extent current offerings are quite nice and reliable, but a comparison might be made between them and television sets. In the old days one might rather easily repair one's own car or television (or tube amplifier) if one had a basic idea of the mechanics involved. Now? One simply waits until the plastic and/or epoxy gives way and tosses it. In theory they last longer but... they're disposable.

m

What Alfa did you have?

I understand some are crap but some are really good.

It was a 90s 1.6 T Spark hatch...model number might have been a 156, something like that? I've blotted the details from my memory...complete electro-mechanical nightmare...I also have bad memories of Renault 5 (ugh) and Ford generally. Some Renaults had twin driveshafts. The Citroen - think that was a DX18, they were mostly fiberglass and when I looked under the bonnet/hood I thought "O-M-G...who designed this?" Nothing like the classic Citroen DS in Aster's pic, those went on for decades but again are a complete pain to work on...you have to take the entire engine out from above with a hoist, and that's to do almost anything.

[When I was in jr high school, 1961-63, my father bought a Renault Dauphine and it was a complete failure,doors leaked windows leaked,motor constantly sounded like it was going to leave the planet. My mother refused to be seen in it so it was pretty short lived. My Dad decided to up the ante and bought a new Corvair in 1962 it lasted till I drove in over a stump and ripped the engine out-Details at eleven.......

Gotta agree with the PT Cruiser. Its was a rental but It would just start doing weird stuff on its own.

2300 miles on it

1 Would not turn off sometimes.

2 The windows sometime worked.

3 Worst of all the horn would start honking on its own.

Returned it two days and exchanged it for a Nissan...no problems at all.

I haven't bought an American car in over 15 years and wont buy another. I have pissed away

enough money on poor design and workmanship.

Fool me once shame on you, if you fool me you cant get fooled again...GWB

Gotta agree with the PT Cruiser. Its was a rental but It would just start doing weird stuff on its own.

2300 miles on it

1 Would not turn off sometimes.

2 The windows sometime worked.

3 Worst of all the horn would start honking on its own.

Returned it two days and exchanged it for a Nissan...no problems at all.

I haven't bought an American car in over 15 years and wont buy another. I have pissed away

enough money on poor design and workmanship.

Fool me once shame on you, if you fool me you cant get fooled again...GWB

Hate to point this out but American Automobiles haven't been built worth damn since the 1969-1970. Back then they built them to last a long. Now you are lucky if they 5 to 10 years before something goes wrong on it and needs to be replace.

Hate to point this out but American Automobiles haven't been built worth damn since the 1969-1970. Back then they built them to last a long. Now you are lucky if they 5 to 10 years before something goes wrong on it and needs to be replace.

Yea I use to buy nothing but Heavy Duty pickups and really didnt start having problems with American stuff until

I started buying family type cars.

In the 60s my dad had a Corvair--he referred to it as "Old Skateboard".

It was the single scariest car I've ever encountered...

I had a Cosworth Vega back in the day and it was awesome.

I wound up giving it to my kid brother, who promptly ran it into a junction box. :(

I just don't like Prius cars. So it may not be the worst car in the world, but it is one of my car dislikes, so to speak.

I like SUVs for a reason. I have dogs and they can't sit in a tiny car. Trucks are important to me, too. Especially where I live. No one gets by with a friggin' Prius in SW Montana!

And lets not forget about that bad batch of Toyotas from 2010!

I have some confidence that the American auto industry may now be making better quality cars. A near death experience can do wonders.

I don't unfortunately cause you would think Auto industry would have learn that back in late 1970's early 1980's when they particularly Chrysler was asking for bail out money keep from going under themselves.

I remember watching an interview with Charlie Rose on PBS with GM Chairman Robert Wagner. When Charlie asking about making fuel effluence cars Mr Wagner when on some tirade about people buying SUVs and stuff. My thoughts were this dude is out touch with consumer reality.

In the 60s my dad had a Corvair--he referred to it as "Old Skateboard".

It was the single scariest car I've ever encountered...

Well, one man's poison is another's pleasure...too funny. I learned to drive an a 4 spd manual Monza. Served me well later in my racing years since I already knew about "push" (understeer) and "tail happy" since it was a rear engine car. I thought it quite fun to drive. Something tells me Ralph Nader didn't agree with me [flapper]

On the subject of American cars I believe they have come a long way since the 70s-90s. I am 36 and Ive owned 5 cars in 20 years of driving. One of which was a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. My first American car! I wanted to support our economy and all that Patriotic propaganda. I had a few gripes with the build quality but overall it was well equipped and enjoyable. the first year went great then I started getting a strange oder when the heat was on. Brought it to the dealer and it took over a month to get it back. So much for quick turnaround time on service that I was expecting! About a year later my wife was pregnant and expecting in a few months. The engine idiot light came on and off to the dealer. This time I used a different dealer and guess what!?!? It took over a month again!!! First they waited for the part. Then they needed some "special tool" which took several weeks!! Argh!!! I had it! I had been test driving cars the last few weeks as I wanted something reliable once my daughter was born.. When the Ford was finally ready I went straight to my Audi dealer and traded it for a sedan! I don't think ill be buying an American car ever again! Incedently, the worst car I ever owned happened to be an Audi. A 1984 5000s that I got in 92. total POS with no power and was always breaking down though it had 50k. I was in High School working in a supermarket and could not afford the repairs!

I owned a Pinto Wagon. It was unstoppable. I took it off road... hill climbing... drove through creeks, floods. Eventually, it became a Fix Or Repair Daily car and had to go.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the GM version of the Granada.... and my personal worst ever.... the Chrysler K car.

Archived