Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional model tuners?

glennc

Hello,

I am well behind the times. I bought a new LP Traditional with what look like the gibson deluxe tuners with the plastic tulips. In the past these have seemed not to stay in tune as well as say 18:1 Grovers. The grovers are not authentic but I don't care. I believe I've read that the Traditional models have Tonepro upgraded Gibson deluxe tuners. These are IIRC supposed to be much better in holding tune and have a 16:1 gear ratio. Is this true, especially the quality and specs? My Traditional has to be tuned almost everytime I play it and the strings are Gibson Reissue 10's and have been properly installed and stretch and also have been on the guitar over a week now. I called Gibson and the support guy had no information about the tuners. I have put graphite in the nut slots today to see if this will help. I am leaning toward getting the grovers, but if the tuners are really new and improved and hold tune properly. I can spend the money elsewhere. Request experienced opinions and actual knowledge too {:-))!

Thanks

Glenn

Strings not in tune are usually not in tune for quite a few reasons, and on a decent guitar, the t00ner is probably about the last reason, unless you can actually point at the tuner slipping as you are playing, in which case there is no question.

Using a guitar that sat overnight and is outta tune as a reason to get new tuners isn't a very good one.

How are the strings on there?

rct

Strings not in tune are usually not in tune for quite a few reasons, and on a decent guitar, the t00ner is probably about the last reason, unless you can actually point at the tuner slipping as you are playing, in which case there is no question.

Using a guitar that sat overnight and is outta tune as a reason to get new tuners isn't a very good one.

How are the strings on there?

rct

Howdy rct,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your input on this issue. But from my experience I have not had to tune a guitar this often. The strings are a week or so old, Gibson Vintage Reissue as I always use. This goes out of tune while playing. Have I seen the tuner turning, no. I also do not care for the older 12:1 ratio of the Kluson/Gibson Deluxe Tuners. I haven't changed them on my Gibsons that have them, but they don't go out nearly as often or I would have. If the Traditional comes with the new Tonepros, then it a much better tuner and probably may not be the problem. Just not used to this, in the years and brands of guitars I've owned, except the cheap Epiphones.

Glenn

Personally I prefer Grovers over the stock greenkey tulip Kluson tuners, I usually seem to get a year or two of good use out of the stock tuners, after which I install Grovers. It definitely doesn't sound normal to be going out of tune as much as you are; do you live in an exteme climate? I'm sure going from a hot desert environment in a car into an air-conditioned club could cause it to go out of tune, for example. The only Gibson I have that seems to have constant tuning issues is my '81 Sonex which has some old locking Sperzel tuners on it, but that guitar has been through hell and is a special case...I have also grown to like the locking Planet Waves tuners, intially I didn't like the look of them (a mix of chrome and black parts) but they've held tune so well I didn't replace them (they were on a used SG I bought.) Wish I knew what to suggest to you about your tuner problem, I haven't tried out the new TonePros myself yet, all I do know is that for as much as an LP Trad costs, you shouldn't have to shell out even more money to replace the tuners right away.

Personally I prefer Grovers over the stock greenkey tulip Kluson tuners, I usually seem to get a year or two of good use out of the stock tuners, after which I install Grovers. It definitely doesn't sound normal to be going out of tune as much as you are; do you live in an exteme climate? I'm sure going from a hot desert environment in a car into an air-conditioned club could cause it to go out of tune, for example. The only Gibson I have that seems to have constant tuning issues is my '81 Sonex which has some old locking Sperzel tuners on it, but that guitar has been through hell and is a special case...I have also grown to like the locking Planet Waves tuners, intially I didn't like the look of them (a mix of chrome and black parts) but they've held tune so well I didn't replace them (they were on a used SG I bought.) Wish I knew what to suggest to you about your tuner problem, I haven't tried out the new TonePros myself yet, all I do know is that for as much as an LP Trad costs, you shouldn't have to shell out even more money to replace the tuners right away.

Hello DestructorKillMusic1982,

I agree about grovers. The environment is a constant, same as the rest of my guitars. I don't wish necessarily if they are the Tonepros, but if they are regular Kluson Gibson deluxe I am getting them changed regardless of the cause of the tuning issue. Maybe I need to put more graphite on the nut? I am doing more bends as I am learning new stuff, but still, it seems excessive.

Thanks for you response and help!

Glenn

Hello DestructorKillMusic1982,

I agree about grovers. The environment is a constant, same as the rest of my guitars. I don't wish necessarily if they are the Tonepros, but if they are regular Kluson Gibson deluxe I am getting them changed regardless of the cause of the tuning issue. Maybe I need to put more graphite on the nut? I am doing more bends as I am learning new stuff, but still, it seems excessive.

Thanks for you response and help!

Glenn

Well got a hold of Tonepro and they advised that they are producing a model under license from Kluson called the TPKB3 which are not direct replacements for the older Klusons but are authentic looking. Now they mention a 15:1 gear ratio and completely sealed design. I believe Gibson describes them as 16:1. But yes the are an upgrade from the older Kluson design IMHO.

Glenn

Archived