Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about making a guitar from scratch

Rabs

So ive been thinking about this for years.. Getting a nice bit of wood and building a guitar from scratch.. Even if it takes years to finish... Would just be a cool project i think.. I would build some kind of double cut with a through neck.

So I started looking for some bits of suitable wood.. and found these on ebay.. pretty good prices if you as me.. what do you reckon? is it worth doing? Anyone else started from scratch?

These are some nice ones price at around £30 - 50 which I think is a great price..

see the shop here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sherwin-Timber?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I think this is the one I want American Black Walnut

KGrHqJHJCQE9qvQ6vpoBPiY8qMHQ60_12.jpg

but these are nice too

KGrHqRooE9kcqWRiBPkMDSlWw60_12.jpg

KGrHqNpkE8Wm--QTBPkJb7kQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqJngE9jMfbBPkFujcIw60_12.jpg

And even fretboard blanks

KGrHqFHJCUE9qiKtE2BPnslsNg60_12.jpg

Rabs i can make damn near anything you can show me out of canvas,but a guitar from scratch ?? That is above my talent level i admit openly and honestly.The body i think i could do, but my fears would be how does the trussrod get in there? What do you use to cut the fret notches? What do you do to ensure neck straightness before,during and after curing? I admire your courage to try such a project !! If you need a canvas bag to hold all the parts when you get peeved and decide to do a Paul Stanley or Pete Townsend slam from mississippi,gimme a shout.Seriously,i wish you all the luck in the world man.

Rabs i can make damn near anything you can show me out of canvas,but a guitar from scratch ?? That is above my talent level i admit openly and honestly.The body i think i could do, but my fears would be how does the trussrod get in there? What do you use to cut the fret notches? What do you do to ensure neck straightness before,during and after curing? I admire your courage to try such a project !! If you need a canvas bag to hold all the parts when you get peeved and decide to do a Paul Stanley or Pete Townsend slam from mississippi,gimme a shout.Seriously,i wish you all the luck in the world man.

Haha cheers and yes thats exactly what im talking about.. seems like alot to do for an amature but im usually pretty good at these things... Id have to route a line in the top of the neck and get a truss rod and glue a fretboard on top which is how I think they do it... but these are obviously things I will investigate along the way..

I just think for a starting price of like £40 its worth a try..

brave man ! be a worthwhile project though if you can do it. loads of patience required.

I recently built a guitar out of a kit and that was a challenge in itself, i cant imagine building it from scratch !

http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/wdtelebuild/index.htm

cheers.. and yes I know it will take ages. thats why I say even if it takes a few years may be worth doing.. I just like the idea of totally building a guitar from scratch with my own design and everything... I mean I once redid a top for a DC faded and just doing that alone to a few months lol.. but still I think its a good project to do and if it works I will have a unique guitar to (hopefully) be proud of :)

(even though if I get any more posts like this telling me how brave it is I may change my mind lol :P)

Looks like it'll be an interesting project. Walnut will be pretty heavy though, no? What style of guitar were you thinking? You mentioned doublecut and neck-through construction, but what Kind of doublecut? Strat style? LP Jr. DC style? Maybe something original?

Looks like it'll be an interesting project. Walnut will be pretty heavy though, no? What style of guitar were you thinking? You mentioned doublecut and neck-through construction, but what Kind of doublecut? Strat style? LP Jr. DC style? Maybe something original?

Yeah id like to do something original if I can even though so many shapes have been done.. But if all else fails id like one similar to a DC Standard... and yeah I want a nice heavy wood ( I can always do my own weight releiving if needed :))

Some of those mahogany ones look pretty nice too.

Yeah id like to do something original if I can even though so many shapes have been done.. But if all else fails id like one similar to a DC Standard... and yeah I want a nice heavy wood ( I can always do my own weight releiving if needed :))

Some of those mahogany ones look pretty nice too.

If you're doing weight relieving, you're going to need a top for the guitar as well. Since you like Mahogany, perhaps check the link below. The guy is a custom builder, but he also sells some guitar tops. He's got some nice Fiddleback Mahogany there.

http://benfordguitars.com/forsale.html

I've built one last year. Its not that difficult. Ensure you have a plan of how you are going to proceed with the bill before you actually start and be sure that you know how to do everything before you start.

Regardless, if you do need any assistance feel free to PM me and I'll help however I can. You should also join the MLP forums for Luthiers-corner which is filled with much more experience builders than myself.

The wood looks good, it will make things cheaper if you get a preslotted fingerboard, if you don't have the correct size saws etc for cutting and measuring the slots.

I would get a quarter-sawn blank for the neck (didn't see if you mentioned that)and any truss rod will be fine but a dual action is always an option.

IMG_3053.jpg

And my build thread:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/132634-les-paul-skylark-build.html

I've built one last year. Its not that difficult. Ensure you have a plan of how you are going to proceed with the bill before you actually start and be sure that you know how to do everything before you start.

Regardless, if you do need any assistance feel free to PM me and I'll help however I can. You should also join the MLP forums for Luthiers-corner which is filled with much more experience builders than myself.

The wood looks good, it will make things cheaper if you get a preslotted fingerboard, if you don't have the correct size saws etc for cutting and measuring the slots.

I would get a quarter-sawn blank for the neck (didn't see if you mentioned that)and any truss rod will be fine but a dual action is always an option.

And my build thread:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/132634-les-paul-skylark-build.html

Cheers man... thats appreciated.. You never know :) and yes ive also thought that a pre made fingerboard may be the way to go.. thats alot of precision work there that im not sure I could do.. As I say i will have alot of reading to do so thanks for the link.

If I go ahead and do it I will keep a record of it and post :)

Archived