Gibson Brands Forums

was this considered Punk or Pop?

saturn

I saw the Police/ Elvis Costello tour a few summers ago and it just rocked from beginning to end. Great time!msp_thumbup.gif

Good to know they are still getting it done. I say both of the Police and Costello about'81. Great stuff. Also saw Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads, Psychedelic Furs, gettin hard to remember who else. Student government productions at my college brought them all for free shows. Seemed like there was a great show every month back then.

Yeah, and Gary Newman!

I really liked Eddie Money and Bob Segar. From about 8th grade on I was into 60's and 7's Rock and any Blues I could get my hands on. The only modern music I was listening to was New Wave. I couldn't get into Metal or Glam Rock, and Punk never did it for me. My tastes have since broadened to include almost anything, so long as it's well executed.

Gary was great for what he was, but there's a reason I can't get into him, or The Cure, etc. And I can't explain it, really.

Like I said, if I was in my 20s in the early 80s, you'd see me at your local bar playing a Charvel-type axe while wearing spandex, no less.

I would be Mr. Van Halen Fan......

And someone would beat me up for listening to KISS (because in the early 80s they were the laughing stock of Rock!) and for listening to Rush (because Rush is not cool to the supposed "cool" people....).

Gary was great for what he was, but there's a reason I can't get into him, or The Cure, etc. And I can't explain it, really.

Like I said, if I was in my 20s in the early 80s, you'd see me at your local bar playing a Charvel-type axe while wearing spandex, no less.

I would be Mr. Van Halen Fan......

And someone would beat me up for listening to KISS (because in the early 80s they were the laughing stock of Rock!) and for listening to Rush (because Rush is not cool to the supposed "cool" people....).

Not sure where you were in the 80's, but around here Rush was very cool. If you could play 2112 you were the coolest!! Of course I was a teen in the 80's, not in my 20's.

I'm not really sure why you would compare The Cure to Gary Newman, though. They sound nothing alike, Gary Newman is more like the B52's or DEVO than The Cure, but then I never gave the Cure a second thought. Just flowery nonsense disguised as New Wave, or Goth perhaps (which we called Death Rock back then).

Not sure where you were in the 80's, but around here Rush was very cool. If you could play 2112 you were the coolest!! Of course I was a teen in the 80's, not in my 20's.

I'm not really sure why you would compare The Cure to Gary Newman, though. They sound nothing alike, Gary Newman is more like the B52's or DEVO than The Cure, but then I never gave the Cure a second thought. Just flowery nonsense disguised as New Wave, or Goth perhaps (which we called Death Rock back then).

I wasn't comparing them but they both have the same effect on me....

Rush wasn't cool around my area.

But, then again the only things 'cool' around here back then were Loverboy, Elvis Costello, ZZ Top, one-hit wonders, etc. The Butte, MT area isn't very musically inclined.

Not to brag, but I probably know more Rush songs then anyone else in Butte.....

But I still would have gotten beat up anywhere in the USA for listening to KISS in the early 80s....(as I said, KISS in 1981/2=LAUGHING STOCK OF ROCK!!!!!)

I'm not really sure why you would compare The Cure to Gary Newman, though.

That struck me as odd too.

... I never gave the Cure a second thought. Just flowery nonsense

Ouch! Apparently someone was NOT getting laid to Cure songs in the 80s like some of us were! [rolleyes]

I wasn't comparing them but they both have the same effect on me....

Rush wasn't cool around my area.

But, then again the only things 'cool' around here back then were Loverboy, Elvis Costello, ZZ Top, one-hit wonders, etc. The Butte, MT area isn't very musically inclined.

Not to brag, but I probably know more Rush songs then anyone else in Butte.....

But I still would have gotten beat up anywhere in the USA for listening to KISS in the early 80s....(as I said, KISS in 1981/2=LAUGHING STOCK OF ROCK!!!!!)

Interesting...Loverboy wasn't cool at all! LOL, Neither was ZZ Top after '84. Fortunately for me I resisted anything "Cool" in the 80's, I was sporting SRV and Leon Russell on my Pee-Chee Folder. I kept my love for New Wave to myself, I didn't want to be accused of trying to fit in.

Interesting...Loverboy wasn't cool at all! LOL, Neither was ZZ Top after '84. Fortunately for me I resisted anything "Cool" in the 80's, I was sporting SRV and Leon Russell on my Pee-Chee Folder. I kept my love for New Wave to myself, I didn't want to be accused of trying to fit in.

In the 80s, playing ZZ and Loverboy got you gigs! And everyone around here loved Stevie Ray!

You're correct about ZZ though....

Rush for me!

Even through their synth period!

In the 80s, playing ZZ and Loverboy got you gigs! And everyone around here loved Stevie Ray!

You're correct about ZZ though....

Rush for me!

Even through their synth period!

Just for the record, I thought ZZ was cool, and always have. I'm just talking about the clowns that surrounded me.

Just for the record, I thought ZZ was cool, and always have. I'm just talking about the clowns that surrounded me.

I'm not the biggest fan of Eliminator to be honest. I prefer the older stuff, like Just Got Paid, Blue Jean Blues, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Waitin' For The Bus, and of course my ZZ anthem, Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers!

La Grange and Tush are good songs but they get old fast (when you've played them a million times!).

No Sharp Dressed Man for me. I like the stuff from the late 70s/early 80s though, especially I Thank You.

And Cheap Sunglasses and Pearl Necklace are always a good time!

And I liked their version of Jailhouse Rock too!

Archived