Gibson Brands Forums

Late 50s Gibson Nylon Saddles

BluesKing777

I have a 1959 Gibson LG3 and a 1958 Gibson LG0 that both have the Gibson nylon saddles. I will probably change them both to bone saddles eventually, but the LG3 is my latest Gibson and I am not prepared to change the sound I really enjoy just yet - I think the nylon saddles give a bit of a nice 'glassy' edge to the sound which I find fairly interesting........they also work very well with the Fishman u/s pickups I had installed.

Why I ask is because there is not much information about the nylon saddles on the Internet, that I could find anyway, and I was interested to hear a little bit about the reasons Gibson used them. Was it the late 50s version of today's Tusq plastic saddles? Was it because Gibson had a whole stack of nylon for use on some of the Gibson Les Paul bits? Did someone at Gibson like the sound it gave, or was it economics? Was it used on all Gibson acoustics from the late 50's, or just the LG's?

Any info appreciated.......

BluesKing777.

Please show us a pic of said 'nylon saddle'. I am not sure if I know what they are. [confused] My '57 CF has bone as near as I can tell...and original. Have not seen pics of your herd lately. Please display, my Brother!!!

Please show us a pic of said 'nylon saddle'. I am not sure if I know what they are. [confused] My '57 CF has bone as near as I can tell...and original. Have not seen pics of your herd lately. Please display, my Brother!!!

I have said picture from the guitar sellers(Elderly), but guess what? It looks like a saddle!

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/images/20U/20U-12193_bridge.jpg

BUT, if I tap the saddle, I can hear the difference - and it may be a touch more translucent than bone.

My guitar tech said it was nylon material when I asked him, but he was very busy and I was extremely excited to get my LG3 BACK and didn't quiz him anymore about it.....but I like it. He also said it was the 'Best Guitar You Have" quote. I am still pondering exactly what he means and while that is WAY better than hearing it is F###ked, I was a bit surprised that he even remembered my other guitars, or me for that matter except for him thinking: "Oh No, it's the pest again". There is always an incredible line of guitars and/or nervy guitarists waiting.

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777.

My '53 CF-100 appears to have a nylon or plastic saddle AND nut...still going strong!!!I think my guitar looks good with nylons!!

Don't know if those are actually nylon, or some other white plastic. I always think of nylon as being somewhat soft and flexible, which doesn't seem like properties you would want in either a nut or a saddle.

I saw these nylon Gibson Les Paul saddle inserts when looking around the Google, and that is when I started the thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47292975@N05/4396768932/

BluesKing777.

I think Gibson started using the nylon saddles in the ABR-1 bridges in 1963 or 1964. I know they were discontinued by 1968 or so, as my '68 ES 335-12 has nickel saddles rather than nylon on the same ABR-1 bridge.

Archived