Gibson Brands Forums

sg standard pick ups / string height

cobie

brand new standard split coil. (wanted standard, only had split coil, gave to me same price, said I'd try it. ) the pickups look like the outside of them is wrapped in paper tape. is this supposed to be there? also, which way do i turn the thumb screws on the bridge to lower the strings?

thanks

Yes there is a fabric material around the pick ups to help protect the coil windings. You screw the bridge set screws clockwise to lower the action and counter clockwise to raise. You should de tune the strings so you can screw in the bridge adjustment scews. It takes the tension off of the strings and allows for easier turning. Then just retune. Also you may take a look at the neck. Correct neck adjustment is critical also for good playing action along all of the fret board. If your not familiar with adjusting the neck.....Look into it first before trying because if your not sure about it you can do more harm than good. I always make sure my neck is as straight as can be before I start lowering the action of the strings. Tim

thing with the pick ups is they did a crappy job. it looks like paper tape and a corner is peeling. If it is paper tape my rt. pinky's resting on it a lot. what happens when I tear/wear that stuff off?

thing with the pick ups is they did a crappy job. it looks like paper tape and a corner is peeling. If it is paper tape my rt. pinky's resting on it a lot. what happens when I tear/wear that stuff off?

Doing that will expose the wire......Not a good thing....Yes, it is a type of paper....You can wrap over it CAREFULLY........

Go to GC and grab a couple pickup covers, they're like $13 or something super cheap like that. They're also bone simple to instal, all you need is some wax sealant, soldering wire, and a soldering iron. It will literally take you 15 minutes TOPS.

Then you won't have to concern yourself with looking at black masking tape on you're expensive, high quality instrument.. It's likely to out-live you, you know.. Haha, just poking fun.

I just got an sg special faded, and I'm totally in love with this guitar, definitely gonna grab pickup covers.

Archived