Gibson Brands Forums

Don't shredders give you the shites in guitar shops ...?

EuroAussie

Visited the only dealer in Prague that stocks Martins, where I bougth my 00-15 recently (which have to say has become one of my faves in the stable, is that wrong ?).

Checked out the latest arrivals (HD-28v - waaay to dark) (000-28EC - great looker, but really, really flat, dull tone) 16-GT (pretty cool, earthy, honest) 00-15 mahogany (nice, but like my sapele version more, the all hog is a bit too dark, sapele is more alive sounding).

Then the, not so young, kid comes in and starts shredding away for ages .... i sit in the corner plucking away ... he still goes for it, doing his Malmsteem scale exercises and I just kept thinking whats the appeal ? I mean, doesnt it just get boring after 5 minutes, sort of like guitar masturbation ?

At least I was kind enough to give him some rhythm which he caught on to but didnt even acknowldge after ... shredders, hate em !

And no, there wasnt a seperate acoustic room.

Anway, rant over, carry on .. [rolleyes]

(000-28EC - great looker, but really, really flat, dull tone)

Sounds like old string syndrome to me. I like my EC, and it certainly ain't dull and flat unless the strings are ancient. I've been using the Martin "Clapton Specials", but I don't think there's anything special about them. They have about the shortest lifespan of any strings I've ever used. I'd be curious to know what others with this guitar (or its straight 000-28 variant) are using.

I'm tempted to go with coated strings (which I rarely use), just because the guitar isn't getting much play time now that the L-00 Legend has come into my life. I don't want to have to change strings every time the EC comes out of the case.

At the retail store I ran for 12 years we called them "wankers". We had regular wankers that showed up 2-3 times a week to wail away, and we hung a cowbell behind the counter to clang out a warning to the crew that one of them had entered the store. Pretty annoying sometimes.

This is the thing Nick, strings were very fresh and action/ set up spot on. I also asked about this guitar on the AGF and there were many that had same feeling about this guitar as me. One poster noted that the bracking is thciker and its a short scale OM which makes it quite boxy sounding, quite different specs to other Martin 000's. I also felt it sounded quite boxy with little projection or depth. Maybe one needs to really dig in and give her a kick' to get the right tone.

Sounds like old string syndrome to me. I like my EC, and it certainly ain't dull and flat unless the strings are ancient. I've been using the Martin "Clapton Specials", but I don't think there's anything special about them. They have about the shortest lifespan of any strings I've ever used. I'd be curious to know what others with this guitar (or its straight 000-28 variant) are using.

I'm tempted to go with coated strings (which I rarely use), just because the guitar isn't getting much play time now that the L-00 Legend has come into my life. I don't want to have to change strings every time the EC comes out of the case.

Wankers is a very Aussie and very appropriate term Buc ... because thats basically what theyre doin' ...

At the retail store I ran for 12 years we called them "wankers". We had regular wankers that showed up 2-3 times a week to wail away, and we hung a cowbell behind the counter to clang out a warning to the crew that one of them had entered the store. Pretty annoying sometimes.

This is the thing Nick, strings were very fresh and action/ set up spot on. I also asked about this guitar on the AGF and there were many that had same feeling about this guitar as me. One poster noted that the bracking is thciker and its a short scale OM which makes it quite boxy sounding, quite different specs to other Martin 000's. I also felt it sounded quite boxy with little projection or depth. Maybe one needs to really dig in and give her a kick' to get the right tone.

Interesting points. It certainly doesn't have a big voice like a D-18. Not quite sure what "boxy" means in this context, but I haven't played a lot of Martins.

...is that wrong ?).

Nope, Martin owner here too!

...I mean, doesnt it just get boring after 5 minutes, sort of like guitar masturbation ?

I suppose the logical question is, how often did you stop masturbating when you were a teenager due to boredom, in fact it was probably boredom (and hormones) that drove you into your trousers most of the time. ;) I think shredding = masturbation is a bad analogy... one of these pastimes has its place, shredding doesn't ;)

... shredders, hate em !

Spotty teenagers mostly... it passes, some of them catch on that it's quite an awful genre of music that apes everything from classical music and ruins it with waspy distortion pedals whilst sporting a horrendous image... the desire to be different so they say, yet they look like a washed-out black demin clad army with the same bad haircuts, lousy shoes (yes I'm talking shoes again) and an aversion to being in any way stylish or current. Regardless of genre, if the music performed by the giants of the genre looks and sounds terrible (as shredding does) then it stands to reason the fans and copyists will look even worse and sounds pretty grim too!

I often wonder if the metal'ers and shredders ever take an honest look in the mirror before going out, they look a total mess, exceptionally bad clothes, horrendous tshirt lines, very bad poor and cheap looking faded black jeans.. there's just no excuse! I wonder if they've ever thought that the reason they get to shred so much is they get little to no time with the ladies because they look a total mess. perhaps the lightning speed is all in the frustration levels, who knows.... I say throw away the guitars boys and back to 'playing solo' in the small room.

If the 'Wankers" get too loud I just walk away and go over to another department or outside.

I hate say this but in regard to the Martin EC, I had one for a month, complete set up and string change. I really wanted a short scale on a smaller acoustic. Alas it just didn't work out for me, the tone was too dark and a bit edgy. Something about that neck was uncomfortable for me.

I jam every Friday with a singer and he much preferred singing with the 'Birds", he said it was easier for him to harmonize to and stay on key. He wasn't fond of the Martin either. BTW well made guitar extremely high build quality.

Each to his own I guess, I really tried to bond with the EC but never did. Ended up trading it back and a bit more money for a custom order PRS HB II, which is in another universe by itself. Everyone I jam with loves that guitar

Don't bother me too much. Its a flippin' music store and folks play guitars. Do we make fun of them though - you betcha.

I have generally also been underwhelmed by the Martin 000-28EC although I love the V neck. In the same price range though I liked the 000-18 Golden Era guitars alot better. Then again, the price if the Martin EC also gets you into Collings territory.

I know lots of folks who prefer the Sapele top Martins to those with mahogany tops. I am guessing that is because the sapele gives the guitar a bit brighter sound which many would say is the "better" sound. I prefer low end presence to upper end brightness so tend to stick with the mahogany top guitars. A few months back I came close to buying an early 1950s mahogany Martin. It was showing its years so was very reasonably priced and was one of the best sounding ones I had ever gotten my hands on, particualry the low end.

All this string-talk is okay, but a good guitar when broken in should sound fine with old strings – listen to my '63 SJ, the J-45's (1953 and 2010) and f.x. the HD-28V Marts. Not least the latter really gets together after the strings fade more than a little.

Not that simple when we are talking freshly baked factory bread – still pieces of glued together musical woods.

A green lantern for Tarrr -

re 00028s, a mild mannered gentleman, well-spoken, but not given to excitability or dramatic exclamations.

re shredeers, its not for nothing larger venues have acoustic rooms. People need to do what they need to do but it's not always easy to be there when they are doing it. In that regard, will throw in overly-strident drummers and horn players to whom Stax is an order of pancakes.

I have generally also been underwhelmed by the Martin 000-28EC although I love the V neck. In the same price range though I liked the 000-18 Golden Era guitars alot better. Then again, the price if the Martin EC also gets you into Collings territory.

I had a dreamy Martin 000-28EC in my hot little hands at a music shop about ten years ago and it really was a beauty!

I was nearly almost about to think about almost saying to the guy: "Take It! Wrap it!", when he informed me he was closing up!

So to my later regret, I laid the guitar back in it's little cradle and walked out of the shop a little bit huffy and grumpy from denial of want it now stuff and GAS!

I have tried quite a few ECs at various shops since and have never found one as good as that earlier one.

Does this mean that (wait for it) Martins are inconsistent?

Kidding! I am gassing for an EC now. Great Ragtimy guitar as well as other stuff - acoustic blues.......

BluesKing777.

I am gassing for an EC now. Great Ragtimy guitar as well as other stuff - acoustic blues.......

BluesKing777.

That's what I bought my EC for, but it has been eclipsed by my L-00 Legend for that purpose. The L-00 is pure Gibson in tone, and sounds a bit more authentic than the EC in that regard. The EC is definitely a bit more refined, in the typical Martin 000/OM fashion. The EC is a nice guitar, but maybe it takes EC to get the most out of it.

The L-OO is just funky, any way you look at it.

Love that sign....

Should add "NO SMOKE ON THE WATER!"

BluesKing777.

That never happens these days. No Stairway either. Those have been dead for decades now. Its Sweet Child of Mine that we fear now. :-)

Archived