Gibson Brands Forums

Don't shredders give you the shites in guitar shops ...?

EuroAussie

I was just going to add : has anyone ever heard a well played version of STH? I have heard several players attempt it, but have only ever heard one player nailing the whole song. Out of 100 players maybe one can play Stairs note for note or with good improv.

That's why that particular song bugs me. No one plays it properly.

I was just going to add : has anyone ever heard a well played version of STH? I have heard several players attempt it, but have only ever heard one player nailing the whole song. Out of 100 players maybe one can play Stairs note for note or with good improv.

That's why that particular song bugs me. No one plays it properly.

Try 'Rodrigo y Gabriela'... They have a few versions - classical guitar based jazzy flamenco-y but very well done.

Sure do... I watched a young kid.. pull a J45 TV off the wall that was just removed from the Box.. 1/2 hour later.. it looked like the whole store had fun with it.. sounded great after.. looked like crap as well.. Some spots. Not polishable..

yep, just recently got turned onto Rodrigo & Gabriela, I like their music very much. I have seen them do some rock too, classical style, good stuff, played with a lot of feeling I might add.

Try 'Rodrigo y Gabriela'... They have a few versions - classical guitar based jazzy flamenco-y but very well done.

I have heard some pretty awful stuff played at too loud volumes in music stores, especially Guitar Center. OMG! Last year I was looking at guitars at Music Villa in Bozeman and there was a dude sitting there with an electric guitar and shredding. I know my way around a guitar and that was pretty impressive stuff he was playing. I was off to do something else or I would have sat down with him and asked him to show me what he was doing. I hope he is there next time I go.

That never happens these days. No Stairway either. Those have been dead for decades now. Its Sweet Child of Mine that we fear now. :-)

I don't think I would even recognise 'Sweet Child' without the vocals, or do they throw that in....

BluesKing777.

Well, here's what shredding means to me......

Your experience may vary.

031.jpg

So we notice it is the Taylor pic getting the shred......

I got a shredder recently that claimed to shred cd's. Shredder made it through about 5 cd's and gave up. Stills shreds paper, but.)

BluesKing777.

So we notice it is the Taylor pic getting the shred......

I got a shredder recently that claimed to shred cd's. Shredder made it through about 5 cd's and gave up. Stills shreds paper, but.)

BluesKing777.

If you read my posts you know I am a Gibson Acoustic lover, but the best guitars I use for "recording" for true fidelity and clarity are my Taylors [thumbup]

I used to be a shredder. I was all up in that hairband stuff back in the 80's. But, I grew up in late 60's, 70's and came into my own in the 80's. Now that I am 45, I look back on it in fondness and nostalgia, but Im past it all now. That was then, and this is now. I have one electric guitar, and 6 acoustics, so you do the math. My electric is a Fender tele(52 reissue). Nowadays, I do all acoustic stuff, and ocasionally whip out the tele to do some electric fills. I sometimes will pick up an electric and play some of that hairband stuff(what I remember) just for fun, but acoustic style music is in my heart now.

Nope, Martin owner here too!

I suppose the logical question is, how often did you stop masturbating when you were a teenager due to boredom, in fact it was probably boredom (and hormones) that drove you into your trousers most of the time. ;) I think shredding = masturbation is a bad analogy... one of these pastimes has its place, shredding doesn't ;)

Spotty teenagers mostly... it passes, some of them catch on that it's quite an awful genre of music that apes everything from classical music and ruins it with waspy distortion pedals whilst sporting a horrendous image... the desire to be different so they say, yet they look like a washed-out black demin clad army with the same bad haircuts, lousy shoes (yes I'm talking shoes again) and an aversion to being in any way stylish or current. Regardless of genre, if the music performed by the giants of the genre looks and sounds terrible (as shredding does) then it stands to reason the fans and copyists will look even worse and sounds pretty grim too!

I often wonder if the metal'ers and shredders ever take an honest look in the mirror before going out, they look a total mess, exceptionally bad clothes, horrendous tshirt lines, very bad poor and cheap looking faded black jeans.. there's just no excuse! I wonder if they've ever thought that the reason they get to shred so much is they get little to no time with the ladies because they look a total mess. perhaps the lightning speed is all in the frustration levels, who knows.... I say throw away the guitars boys and back to 'playing solo' in the small room.

sounds like a younger me , ya big mod bast@rd! lol :-D

and i did alright with the women thank ya very much

have to agree with the t-shirt lines though .... terrible , never did that

If we're making signs of songs to avoid in guitar shops, add "Dust in the Wind" to the list, please.

I don't go in guitar shops that often anymore (figure I've got everything I need...) but when I do and hear the youthful types shredding, my main thought is, "Gee, if I didn't have to work 40-plus hours a week, if I didn't have a family, if I didn't have a house to take care of, if I could sit around in my room all day playing, then yeah, maybe I could shred."

That said, shredding really doesn't get you anywhere, and I'd be willing to wager most of them are lousy at rhythm, which is kind of the basis of everything when it comes to guitar.

...if I didn't have to work 40-plus hours a week, if I didn't have a family, if I didn't have a house to take care of, if I could sit around in my room all day playing

Yeah, we'd all love to 14/15 again knowing what we know now and with all that free time.

I'd be willing to wager most of them are lousy at rhythm

You'd be spot-on in a lot of cases, I know 3 guys who all play shredding stuff, one is even in a Pantera tribute band, all 3 of them are speed whizzes on the guitar, all 3 of them are garbage at fairly simple rhythm work, they never play it to be fair, its always the widdly-diddly exercises and speed power chords with weird timing signatures (which they can play from repetition) but a basic pop rock rhythm and they;re not quite so fluent looking. I am thoroughly amused by it actually... especially when we're winding each other up with a "do you think you can play this? follwed by some ear-bleeding squaks screams and taps... I say "no, but I bet you can't play this.." and throw out some basic rhythm to some chart nonsense that will have annoyed them on the radio a hundred times.

I'm no fancy picker and they're totally flummoxed at the thought of fingerpicking something like the Tallest Man on Earth covers we do...

if you encounter one of them, hand them an acoustic and ask them to shred for you... its hilarious!

I simply wish the shredders were provided earphones so I didn't have to hear the noise. Of course, that might raise health issues with ear/scalp infections and sharing the same headset. That said, I do recognize that some people who are so-called "shredders" are likely vastly superior guitar players to myself, AND, to them the music really is expressing something that is inside of them. I don't expect everyone to like the kind of music I do. I just wish that amps the shredders use were turned way-down low.

Well, there is online guitar shopping!

No more annoying shredders, but then you go to play your new purchase and the guitar-hater next door has given his strange little child a referee's whistle after the unsucessful exorcism the other Friday night....

BluesKing777.

Archived