Gibson Brands Forums

a spot with no varnish

I removed the pickguard of my ES-175, no background resonating anymore! But at the spot where the screw and pick guard holder was, I see a spot with no varnish. I wondered if anyone can tell me with what kind of varnish I can restore that? I am afraid that it is going to be a spot where the varnish can start to scale off.

The pics showing 1) the ES175 without the pick guard (I only have my mobile and the Ipad to take pics...so, I know bad pics)

2) the spot where the screw holds the pick guard at the side of the guitar. 3 en 4) details of the little spot without varnish(right on the inlay).

The spot is 2 milimeter wide and 1.5cm long.

I hope the pics are clear enough to judge my question about it: should I take care of it or let it be?

I removed pick guards before and never saw this lac of varnish before (it seems that lower priced guitars now a days have a better finnishing touch...first the cracks in the inlay now the missing varnish and a resonating pick guard...I must say that again this is a disapointing Gibson detail imho)

Afb0283.jpg

Afb0284.jpg

Afb0285.jpg

Afb0282.jpg

Elmer, your guitar is finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, not varnish. If you want to seal that spot so that it doesn't spread or chip, all you need is some clear nail polish. Be sure to get lacquer, not acrylic. Hold the piece level and apply a drop or so of lacquer to the bare spot - just enough so that when it spreads out it'll cover the bare spot. That's all you need unless you'll be bothered by having a bit of a lump in that area. Then, however, you're getting into sanding, buffing and polishing, not to mention the worry of possibly cutting through the surrounding finish when you're sanding the lump flat. If you think you're going to want to take it that far, take the instrument to a GOOD tech and let him do it.

I wouldn't do ANYTHING to it, aside from maybe some polishing.

If you aren't aware of what you are looking at, chances are pretty good that when you get the nail polish out, you are going to make it worse or not be happy with it.

Part of what you are seeing is the pressure from the hardware. It ain't uncommon to have a mark where a pickgaurd is supposed to be on a Gibby without it. It doesn't hurt the value, nor does it mean anything is wrong with the guitar.

IF you want it to go away, because you want it to look like it never happened, then take it to someone and have it done right. That means filling the holes, painting/staining them to make then invisable, and touching up the finish. It's a little work, but not to much.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money to "fix" a guitar that isn't broken, or to spend money to make it look like it never had a gaurd on it when someone might just want to put it back on. But a half-assed repair where the guard WAS would bother me if it wasn't done well or not reversible.

it is at the inlay it self. Not the pressure mark.

I see a little gab where that nitro stuff is missing (it came of, it was like a little bladder). 0.5 mm deep.

It looks like the pick guard was put on when the nitro stuff was not completely hard yet.

I just hope it not start pealing of at that spot...this little spot I don't care to much about but I dont want it to spread and become a bigger spot.

Elmer, the advantage of the nail polish/lacquer is that, being the same material, its solvents will slightly melt the old lacquer, allowing the new to bond with the old. The comments about possibly making it worse are well taken. It would probably be a good idea to practice with the nail polish on some other flat glossy surface to get a feel for how much to use. The best was to do it is to apply a drop or two and allow them to spread out to the perimeter of the area. If you try brushing it around you may end up with a messy looking repair.

There, I did it. At first it was a little bubble but when it got dry it got better.

You still can see it but it looks better and it will not starting to peal of now.

I took a pic but there is nothing to see...:)

Archived