Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Custom Serial numbering

Studioman

I got my new Midtown Custom yesterday. The serial # ends in 395. So obviously Gibson changed the numbering on the Midtown? I thought each day they went from 500 to 699, then changed the batch number and went back to 500? (The batch # is the 6th digit as I recall).

When did they change this and is it changed on ALL Gibson US models?

My new Les Paul Custom Classic indicates the same numbering they have been using (mine ends in 0661, which I thought meant it was made in the first batch and was the 161st made in that batch for the day).

Any info. on this serial numbering would be greatly appreciated.

OH, something MUST have changed... I JUST looked at my 2011 MM V (white), ends in 1327. How I understood it, this would be in the 2nd batch of the day, but the "327" I don't understand.

Thanks in advance...

I got my new Midtown Custom yesterday. The serial # ends in 395. So obviously Gibson changed the numbering on the Midtown? I thought each day they went from 500 to 699, then changed the batch number and went back to 500? (The batch # is the 6th digit as I recall).

My new Les Paul Custom Classic indicates the same numbering they have been using (mine ends in 0661, which I thought meant it was made in the first batch and was the 161st made in that batch for the day).

OH, something MUST have changed... I JUST looked at my 2011 MM V (white), ends in 1327. How I understood it, this would be in the 2nd batch of the day, but the "327" I don't understand.

Thanks in advance...

I notest that the Midtown does not have a orange Gibson sticker inside the f hole like most other semis do... I wonder why?

I notest that the Midtown does not have a orange Gibson sticker inside the f hole like most other semis do... I wonder why?

Mine has no sticker anywhere. I do recall reading something about that tho. My Epi hollow body has an orange sticker/seal to be real in the top F-hole (Right handed axe).

What does the sticker indicate on other hollow bodies?

• 7 months later...

Thanks in advance...

check this out...

NOTE - Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005..

The sixth number is now a batch number- batch 0 starts at the beginning of the day, and once we stamp 699, the batch number will change to 1. The first 5 numbers remain the same, the last 3 numbers will remain the same. The only difference is the addition of this batch indicator.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search.aspx

Archived