Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul auction book.

dem00n

That was really interesting. The prices are set very low though. 4-600 for a watch given to Les from Frank Sinatra? Plus those guitars are priced at shop prices not at Les' own guitar prices. I'd love to own one. I find it sad that his awards etc are being sold. I'd have thought the family would have kept them.

Stunning, historic, truly awesome...and the prices do seem set quite low...I wish...but I expect all the working guitars will be quickly snapped up by collectors and dealers...incredible to see though, Les certainly had GAS! Many thanks for the link.

Auction set prices for historic instruments are often well below the actual value. I think thay just use blue book, and don't add anything for the celebrity connection. I remember when John Entwhistle's gear was auctioned off, his 1967 Rickenbacker 4005 bas was estimated at $4,000, the book value for any '67 4005, taking no account of the owner, or that it was featured in a famous "Tommy" promo film.

He was one guy. He was what he was to guitars, they happened to put his name on the end of a very good idea as far as guitars go. He also wasn't the greatest guy you'd want to know, his family has (obviously) not much for him, not sure how many marriages he went through. There used to be some pretty...not so great stories about him that circulated. But times have changed, and we don't talk about that stuff anymore. Particularly Gold Tops in the 50's, he had a lot to say, none of it good.

He's just a guy, with all the baggage a guy has. Why don't we all talk about Orville all day?

rct

I've just spent about an hour looking at all the goodies.

By 'Eck he had a few guitars and stuff! Some of the personal gifts were fantastic - like Ace Frehley presenting Les with the Ace LP Custom serial number 001; and Slash sending him his hat! Brilliant !

Oddly enough for me the most notable lot wasn't a Gibson guitar but the 'Nocaster' that Leo Fender asked Paul Bigsby to deliver to Les Paul for evaluation in 1951! How special is that ! ! !

BTW, If you want to check out the 'Nocaster' it's on pages 384-387. Just type in the page number in the box and it'll take you straight there. The story is recounted on 386.

Thanks for posting this, dem00n!

[thumbup]

P.

There is so much stuff in that book, if it is all going to be sold off, just the vast abundance will bring the prices down!

Still, the very earliest guitars, and the ones he used during his most popular times, are not there. Word is they were stolen...in an interview with LP, he said at some point he discovered they were gone, and didn't know WHEN they were taken. Looking through the pages, it seems to confirm this.

Great thread, thanks for putting it up.

Still, the very earliest guitars, and the ones he used during his most popular times, are not there.

Great shame, as you say.

It may also be that a few are being kept in the family. I didn't spot the original Selmer/Maccaferri given to Les by Django although there is a reproduction of that guitar - commissioned by Les himself.

One well-known Les Paul which is there - and one of the two LP's I'd most like to have from the collection - is the white 'Recording' model he used to record 'Chester and Lester' (p.327) which was my first introduction to Les Paul as a player way back then.

I remember just staring at the cover photograph trying to work out what on Earth was going on with those controls...... Also the guitar was very chipped which I thought strange at the time! Why didn't he just ask Gibson for a new one? LOL!

I still have that record, incidentally.

FWIW, the other one I love is the prototype 'Recording', ser no. 001, from 69/70 on p.74. It has, IMHO, the most absolutely gorgeous top and the colour, 'Heritage Honey-Burst' is simply beautiful.

P.

That was really interesting. The prices are set very low though. 4-600 for a watch given to Les from Frank Sinatra? Plus those guitars are priced at shop prices not at Les' own guitar prices. I'd love to own one. I find it sad that his awards etc are being sold. I'd have thought the family would have kept them.

The proceeds of the auction will benefit the Les Paul Foundation established by Les Paul who was encouraged at a young age by his mother to follow his instincts regardless of how unusual or different his approach. Paul felt that establishing a foundation, which could provide that same encouragement to so many others was the best way to perpetuate the areas most important to him in his lifetime. The mission of the Les Paul Foundation is to honor and remember the life, spirit, and legacy of Les Paul by supporting music education, engineering and innovation as well as medical research. The Les Paul Foundation is an approved IRS 501©3 organization.

Archived