Gibson Brands Forums

J100 XTRA.....any love?

flatbaroque

One of these has been on Oz Ebay for a while-2005 Maple B&S. Price is too high so I guess that's why it is not selling.

Are these very different to to a J-200. Besides the cosmetics...are they a much lesser guitar..slightly smaller..ie not such a full sound.

I've looked at old threads here and also some Youtube clips.....seems quite appealing. Maybe a lowball offer might pick it up eventually.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gibson-J100-Xtra-2005-Acoustic-Guitar-w-built-pickup-/320810226605?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item4ab1c793ad

I love those bubinga J-100s, from a few years ago! Almost every one I tried sounded really good.

Those, and some of the maple ones with the J-200 style inlays and white binding, were nice!

And, of course, the early J-100s from '89-'90, with the sycamore b&s can be very good too.

Fred

The one you are looking at in the ebay link Flatbaroque, has "Bubinga" back and sides, not Maple! As for the bridge, I don`t see a crack, it looks fine to me.

I own a 1994 J-100 Xtra with Mahogany back and sides, which is a fabulous guitar, warm and punchy with that great Gibson woody tone. A year ago I tried out a "Bubinga" version, and that was everything my guitar was, plus a bit more. It had a bit more depth, warmth, and a little more zing to the trebles that mine didn`t have, if I had had the funds at the time, that would have been coming home.

I am not a great lover of Maple backed guitars in general, but all the J-100 Xtras I have tried have been excellent, including the Maple, but particularly the Mahogany and Bubinga versions. They are built with the same bracing as the J-200, they are the same size as well, the only difference is the lack of bling, and lets face it wood has a much better tone than MOP or pearloid!

The J-100 Model is a very underrated guitar in my opinion!

Steve.

The one you are looking at in the ebay link Flatbaroque, has "Bubinga" back and sides, not Maple! As for the bridge, I don`t see a crack, it looks fine to me.

I own a 1994 J-100 Xtra with Mahogany back and sides, which is a fabulous guitar, warm and punchy with that great Gibson woody tone. A year ago I tried out a "Bubinga" version, and that was everything my guitar was, plus a bit more. It had a bit more depth, warmth, and a little more zing to the trebles that mine didn`t have, if I had had the funds at the time, that would have been coming home.

I am not a great lover of Maple backed guitars in general, but all the J-100 Xtras I have tried have been excellent, including the Maple, but particularly the Mahogany and Bubinga versions. They are built with the same bracing as the J-200, they are the same size as well, the only difference is the lack of bling, and lets face it wood has a much better tone than MOP or pearloid!

The J-100 Model is a very underrated guitar in my opinion!

Steve.

Thanks Steve...is the guy's description wrong(curly maple)...are you saying Bubinga because of the photos...or have I misread something...I also just noticed he says crown markers on the fretboard...that's not right either...has he copy and pasted wrong descriptors?

I also own a bubinga J-100 XTRA and absolutely love its warm tone.

The eBay description seems to be a cut & paste job by someone who either -A- doesn't know anything about the guitar or -B- didn't read what he copied (the pics show that the guitar is made of bubinga).

The clearly inaccurate description & the asking price of almost $3100 (in US dollars) for a guitar that usually fetches about half of that leads me to conclude that "A" is the correct answer. Consequently, I'd make no offer at all on this guitar.

The seller's feedback rating notwithstanding - this auction smells very fishy. . .

That said - the J-100 XTRA is a wonderful guitar.

Thanks Steve...is the guy's description wrong(curly maple)...are you saying Bubinga because of the photos...or have I misread something...I also just noticed he says crown markers on the fretboard...that's not right either...has he copy and pasted wrong descriptors?

Mine is a 2000 maple-- light as a feather and many-voiced. Easy to play and hold, whether couch-sitting or gigging.

To my ear she's balanced and present, whether I'm finger-picking or full-out strumming, noodlin' around or recording.

Lotsa love here! [thumbup]

Mine is a 2000 maple-- light as a feather and many-voiced. Easy to play and hold, whether couch-sitting or gigging.

To my ear she's balanced and present, whether I'm finger-picking or full-out strumming, noodlin' around or recording.

Yep I remember a couple of your clips Anne...and agree with your assessment.

I had a 1998 SB J100 xtra with mahogany back and sides. Sold it about 4 months ago and have regretted it ever since. It sounded like a much bigger J45. The guy who bought it was very happy, he didn't even quibble about the price. Once he saw and played it, it was gone. Wish I had it back. The one listed is WAY overpriced, even for OZ....

I agree EA...we have to pay a bit more here as you know...but I'd say $1800 max

There are usually several of these on ebay in the US for around $750-$1000. There's one now with an opening bid set at $750, but no one is stepping up.

Mine is also a maple 2000 & similarly very light, with a natural top & dark back & sides (slight sunburst on sides). Beautiful tone that I haven't found elsewhere, especially on the bass end. Previously owned a mahogany '96 which was also very good, but the neck was a bit too clubby. Regardless, these can be stellar guitars in any of it's various forms.

• 11 months later...

I recently bought a lefty 1999 J-100 xtra (sitka/maple), and I love it. I traded my original '69 SJ about twenty years and have regretted it ever since. The J-100 is my new baby....great full sound - plugged or acoustic.

Congrats on the lefty 99 J-100 Xtra, I own a 94 with Mahogany B&S, and it is my Favourite acoustic.

Steve.

I've seen these J-100's and J100 XTRA's, and J-150's on local Craig's list for $1100 to 1400, and they always come around when I have no cash....lol...so I guess I'm not supposed to get one...lol....that being said, I would LOVE to get one, I kind of like the idea of a less-bling version of the J-200...Maybe some day....

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I thought instead of creating a new one might as well just add to this existing thread. I just got a 1996 Gibson J100 Xtra and this baby just sings, a guitar that sounds nice either strummed or fingerpicked! :)

post-64938-054243100 1398306766_thumb.jpg

post-64938-089922100 1398306774_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Just bought a used J100 extra w/Sitka spruce top and Maple sides and bottom for $1350 on Reverb...still waiting to here the sirens, Feel like I stole it. Plays amazing , Action set low by previous owner who kept it pristine. Full body sound and warm tone. Great guitar.

• Like 1