Gibson Brands Forums

in leiu of folk talking about the 'kids' playing annoying riffs in music stores ( which i'm sure we have all done at one stage ) what do you all play when you lift a guitar off the hook in a store ? we all need a benchmark song for comparisons sake . mine's usually 'old man'

Goes through phases...

some have been:

This is the one - The Stone Roses

Cocaine Blues - Rev Gary Davis (still gets an airing quite frequently)

Heard it through the Grapevine

Currently it's wild wood or You do something to me by Paul Weller.

One of the first things I usually do is a first position E then sliding up to 9th Fret, down to 7th up to 9th back to first(not barring).Its the way I play Shelter from the Storm in standard tuning..E chord, B,A,B, then back to E.Its a nice progression to hear chords with open strings ringing out in higher fret locations.....which I like generally.

Then I might finger pick some John Lee Hooker licks in E or R Johnson 30-20 blues in A.Maybe some Jazz chord progressions...minor ninths etc...

often play my own stuff...then noone knows if I fark eeet oop!

Reckon you'll get a good response to this thread.

Guess I'm down for Paul Simon's 'Armistice Day'. If there's no pick I'll go to The Allmans 'Little Martha' and morph it into the Beatle's 'In My Life'. If I've just left the pub next door I may pick up an electric guitar and if the Bass Ale has kicked in I'll try The James Gang's 'Funk #48' (or 49), or 'The Wind Cries Mary'. Then I'll go home and wait for the delayed embarrassment to kick in.

Default-reset is usually something like John Hurt's Stagolee. Covers low end, chords and top notes right off the bat. Any of those old Piedmont ditties, really will tell you what a box can, or cant, do. Probably should throw in some bluegrass runs (that squished a budding infatuation with a J200 last years, hehe).

Pure Prairie League's Amie is a good flatpicking test, with a saucy single-note intro riff then some big banging open chords. (The D-18 passes this test with flying colors!) Then maybe my own Helldorado, played slow and hybrid picked then played fast with alternating bass flatpicking. Doesn't take long to separate the wheat from the chaff............

An open G chord first (or poss. A or D).

Then either something I am working on, or The Circle (Ocean Colour Scene) or Wild Wood (Weller) or Needle and The Damage Done (Young) some blues solo stuff, whatever really.

I guess if I noted what I played every time I would find I am probably pretty preditable like the rest of us I guess.

I test the harmonics, the fit, how it responds to an open E and G strum, then how it handles (or rather, how I handle) several scales. I like to place a capo at 8 to see how it fits in my hand on a song like "Girl" by the Beatles.

As for specific songs, I really don't have one or several. For me it's about how the guitar strikes me when I just play it.

Usually play several cowboy chords, then the Beatles "Michelle" and finally "Dueling Banjos". Sure wish someone would step up with a banjo so I wouldn't have to play both parts on the guitar.... [rolleyes]

Good question... I do a Bar A on the fifth a few times to get a feel for if I want to go any further.

If I do, it's Freight Train and then either Don't Think Twice or Malaguena. Or both. I'm more concerned with the fingerpicking-ability of the guitar first. If I'm happy there, the chords are always a push.

But I don't go messing with guitars somebody else owns unless I'm seriously considering buying one. Just like I don't go test driving BMWs unless I'm seriously considering buying one.

Sometimes it's more daunting than others. I walked into my little local shop and thought a Stevie Ray Vaughn CD was playing. Turned the corner to find the help just changing out strings and tuning up. Didn't pick up a guitar for three days.

I must add this.....if you are in the acoustic room in Guitar Center.....ALL guitars sound good, lol, because of the sympathetic vibration of the other guitars......it is very deceptive....so take the guitar out into the main room, (If there are no shredders) and try a listen there. You will probably really only hear it correctly, when you get home and play in your usual environment......hopefully you have a good return policy if it doesn't work out in your lair.

Better add something with chords that goes up the neck, to check feel and intonation.

I'd be thinking that a good test piece should go across the tonal range so you hears lows, mids and highs. The dread Stairway is more on the top strings, isnt it? And open chords. I'd be thinking with closed chords you get more of a chop than a ringing arpeggio, unless you have a touch.

I must add this.....if you are in the acoustic room in Guitar Center.....ALL guitars sound good, lol, because of the sympathetic vibration of the other guitars......it is very deceptive....so take the guitar out into the main room, (If there are no shredders) and try a listen there. You will probably really only hear it correctly, when you get home and play in your usual environment......hopefully you have a good return policy if it doesn't work out in your lair.

Good one! Living up to your username...