Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Main Tuning?

kaleb

My main tuning is half-step down/Eb/The Hendrix Tuning (it sounds best to me although every tuning is wonderful if you know what to do with it, singing is better, and we need it for the Hendrix, SRV, KISS/Ace, and Van Halen stuff we do). I also enjoy playing in open tunings. And Drop D is important as well!

What's yours?

Dropping your tuning down half a step can give your guitar some moody balls. Open D tuning is great for when your too drunk to function, you only need to bar the frets. Minors are for the weak!

Yeah. SLIDE BABY!!!!!

I like playing in Eb mainly because, as you said, sound ballsier and heavier, and it makes singing that much easier!

Plus you can do certain songs that you couldn't do in E Standard.

They say Voodoo Chile sounds weird without a wah.....

It sounds totally off when it's played in E Standard....

Yeah. SLIDE BABY!!!!!

I like playing in Eb mainly because, as you said, sound ballsier and heavier, and it makes singing that much easier!

Plus you can do certain songs that you couldn't do in E Standard.

They say Voodoo Chile sounds weird without a wah.....

It sounds totally off when it's played in E Standard....

Well Jimi played it sometimes in Db, so its not totaled! Hendrix invented metal tunings !

Standard most of the time, I have tried tuning flat but it throws me off, may be I need to try again.

Drop D is great, slacking tunning past that makes my overdrive sound blobby, I like to hear nuances in overdrive and some of the heavier tunings sound simply too percussive to me.

On the slide guitar and dobro I prefer open G, occasionally tune to others like open A for Seven Nations Army.

Standard, then Eb, then open G (tried open A, but prefer to just use a capo from open G). When I bought the National, it was tuned to an open C which I revisit now and then. It was very cool, seemed very intuitive even though I'd never played in that tuning before.

Archived