Gibson Brands Forums

Ever wonder where Jimi found inspiration?

jaxson50

Ever wonder where Jimi found inspiration?

Can You say LSD!

As for T-Bone and Albert.... Chuck Berry never played a lick he didn't steal from T-Bone Walker, and Stevie Ray Vaughn never played a lick he didn't steal from Albert King.

I love that video of SRV and Albert King. The very first rock concert I went to was Iron Butteryfly, lo and behold, the warm up act was Albert King, with his white Flying V...Me and my buddy Ray was just blown over...it was at a the fairgrounds race track in Indio..King just blew the place up....

growing up in Seattle,Washington,two of the earliest bands Hendrix performed with-The Velvetones and The Rocking KIngs performed at a place called Birdland,they also did a lot of teen dances in the seattle area at the Philipino Community Center,and the infamous Spanish Castle in Des Moines Washington. Most of their material in those early days were covers of Albert King,BB King and various other R&B acts of the time. Seattle was still socially segregated at the time so you had to travel into the inner city to see them perform everywhere but the Spanish Castle. I was pretty young at the time and had my parents known where I was going to see them I would have been grounded for life!

It all goes back to T-Bone, doesn't it?

And T-Bone got it from Charlie and Wes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvdU7f-q7I

T-Bone is where Blues meets Jazz!

Jimi and Stevie are steeped in many traditions and influences. You can hear just as much Lonnie Mack and Buddy Guy as Albert King in SRV's playing, and Jimi took a lot of inspiration from Miles Davis and Kenny Burrell.

{edit} Just saw Zep Guy's post [thumbup]

Magic Sam and T-Bone and Otis were just the best...along with Albert and BB and yes Buddy Guy they all have influence rock, But the magic of the Internet has brought some of them back to us..Magic died young, his work with Musslewhite and Bishop was just way ahead of the curve. We can only speculate what would he would have gone on to do, I hope you all enjoyed the vid.s.

Magic Sam and T-Bone and Otis were just the best...along with Albert and BB and yes Buddy Guy they all have influence rock, But the magic of the Internet has brought some of them back to us..Magic died young, his work with Musslewhite and Bishop was just way ahead of the curve. We can only speculate what would he would have gone on to do, I hope you all enjoyed the vid.s.

Yup, you gotta give it up for those guys. They truly were original and innovative. I'm sure they copped some of their licks and riffs from the early century Blues greats, but that's just the nature of the beast. If you can take something from someone else, and build on it or make it your own through improvisation, it's all good.

Thanks jaxon, every now and then we need a little wake up call, and to be reminded of the great talent that was behind a lot of what came to be.

Yup, you gotta give it up for those guys. They truly were original and innovative. I'm sure they copped some of their licks and riffs from the early century Blues greats, but that's just the nature of the beast. If you can take something from someone else, and build on it or make it your own through improvisation, it's all good.

Thanks jaxon, every now and then we need a little wake up call, and to be reminded of the great talent that was behind a lot of what came to be.

We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. When we listen to our favorite player we should keep in mind they have favorites too..

Jimi soaked up the licks of just about every well known blues player like a sponge.Albert King,T-Bone Walker,Buddy Guy,Otis Rush,Charlie Christan,Hubert Sumlin, Muddy Waters,Howlin' Wolf,Lightnin' Hopkins,Magic Sam,John Lee Hooker-I could go on for hours-were all influences on Jimi and if you listen carefully to his licks and really know your old blues guys you can identify who inspired which licks.The best thing with Jimi was the fact that he didn't copy the licks note for note but would put his own trademark nuances on them so no one could come over to him and accuse him of stealing their licks.

If my memory serves me correctly it was a Bob Dylan album and not a book,I have a stereo VHS tape of that movie that of course was stopped when the mercenary Janie hendrix took over Jimi's estate,the girlfriend was Pat Hartley who also went on to make the Rainbow Bridge movie which was loosely based around the outdoor concert that Jimi did on the island or Maui,Hawaii.The album in question was Highway 61 Revisited or Blonde on Blonde,it was remiss of me to forget Dylan as Kathy Etchingham who was his girlfriend for most of his last 3 years also verified that Jimi absolutely adored Dylan's poetry and music.It was well known around his inner sanctum just how much he loved and respected Dylan and his music but I don't think that the two of them ever had the chance to meet.

Archived