Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

CapM

Updated with video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImN2KTWeWM0

Hi guys and gals! I've been GASing for a Gibson acoustic for quite some time. In my search, I saw pics of the vine inlays and loved it. I also wanted the vintage burst finish. I searched long and hard, but saw nothing for sale except a shop that was selling a floor model for $5K. So, I was visiting a larger town and went into the GC to try out some Gibby's, and lo and behold I saw her through the glass. It is a Gibson J-45 Rosewood Vine. Although a 2003, it is in pristine condition - maybe even unplayed, as there aren't any scratches even on the pickguard. They had just received it, so I feel lucky that I visited at just the right time. It has the vintage Gibson tone that I wanted. Anyhow, without further adieu... (sorry for the phone pics)

gallery_35195_398_27982.jpg

gallery_35195_398_66796.jpg

gallery_35195_398_20387.jpg

gallery_35195_398_29662.jpg

gallery_35195_398_25484.jpg

I a big fan of bling - and what a beauty you'v got there.

Great find. Love the vine work. And I like the bit a waviness in the back graining.

Also a beautifully subtle burst - Gibson does them so well.

Congrats on your new J45. . B)

Woohoo!! Another J-45 on the GAF! Congrats on the new guitar and kudos for your patience in tracking down what you wanted! Do you find the rosewood version dark, relative to the standard mahogany b/s?

Since I only played a mahog J-45 once, I really am not knowledgable enough to compare them! I do know that this has that vintage Gibson tone that is so different from my Martin. Anyhow, here's a video I did of me playing the guitar, performing a song I just wrote. It's actually a quasi rock song, but this is the acoustic version of it. The video was just with my laptop camera because I couldn't get the audio to work on our high def camera, but at least the audio is clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImN2KTWeWM0

Very nice fingerstyle at the end. I'm a big fan of original stuff - thanks for recording this - I can see in the begining that it got its birth on an electric - be interesting writing now with that J-45, which, by the way, is like a very uber cool guitar.

Wowsers!!! Beatiful guitar! And what luck in finding it!

As much as I can tell through my crappy laptop speakers, it sounds like it has a nice deep richness to the tone. I have only played two rosewood J-45s, but both had this quality and I found both very alluring tonally.

Congrats!!! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - not intentionally trying to bump this to the top, but I did want to post a quick update.

This guitar has unbelievable low end. I'm playing it softly now as my family sleeps, and I can still feel the low end in my chest when I play. Yet, it still maintains that classic Gibson midrange sound. I have three main steel sting acoustics now, one Rosewood (this one), one mahogany (Martin), and one birch. They all provide different tones in their own way. Although the Martin is still great for that buttery, balanced tone, for strumming and/or a more bold sound, the J45 Rosewood will be my weapon of choice.

Archived