Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony fretboard too dry - fret sprout - help/tips needed

crackjunkie

... we are living in germany. ...

what oil can be advised for ebony fretboards? what for rosewood?

I live in Germany, too, and a natural, slightly alcaline and not biodegradable oil I use for rosewood fretboards is Ballistol. I don't own any guitar with ebony fingerboard but I think I would use it there, too.

Ballistol is a weapon oil originally, hence the name, but reknown from servicing food and drug production machines up to car maintenance. I use it every few years on my guitars. I recommend application of the bottled oil, not of the Ballistol Spray. If you want to use the latter, I would spray it into e. g. the lid of the spraying can and wait a few minutes until the mineral gas is completely vapourized.

Any enduring contact with lacquer should be avoided!

I always do apply a thin film of Ballistol on the fretboard, and wipe it off with a soft clean cloth after 20 to 30 minutes. I think it could be useful to repeat these operations several times within a short period.

Take care for the nut, too, as it may absorb Ballistol and change its colour to that of paper soaked with oil. This has happened to me circa 26 years ago. The respective nut looks greasy since then, but still sits safely in its place and didn't cause any troubles.

Archived