Gibson Brands Forums

Is know body buying guitars anymore?

Motherofpearl

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this lol I'm feeling pretty dumb right now

You shouldn't feel dumb at all, but people here are trying to understand your selling decision process. Very often, artist guitars like your Buddy Holly cost a lot more when new, and you are primarily paying for the name association. For a lot of people, there may not be any added value in that, unless the guitar has other characteristics that make it really special. In checking the specs for the BH, the only real difference from a standard J-45 seems to be the headstock inlay and truss rod cover.

Even though I'm a Buddy Holly fan, I wouldn't give you an extra five cents for that. I'd rather have a J-45 TV with an adi top any day. I don't really care about having a "certificate of authenticity" signed by Buddy Holly's widow, and I doubt if many others do either. Maybe 20 years from now there might be added value from this, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There's nothing that says this should be a better musical instrument than a J-45 TV (or even a J-45 standard), and for most of us, that's what buying a guitar is all about.

Buying guitars based on some perceived future collector's value is a questionable proposition, to put it politely.

I agree with you nick so what wod you do if you had a holly and a j45 tv and the holly sounds way better would you keep the holly or the tv?

I would keep the one that is the best musical instrument. Make sure you are making apples to apples comparisons, however. This means both guitars should be properly set up, and have the same strings on them. Play the same songs or different bits of music, using the same style, including the same flat pick or fingerpicks, if that's the way you play it.

I'd then do some recording with each, and play it back to evaluate. Remember that the sound when sitting behind the guitar and playing can be quite a bit different from the way the guitar projects to an "audience" sitting in front of it.

If you want, post recordings on one of the services people here use, and you'll get plenty of response from those here! You'll need to get someone on the forum who posts recordings regularly to walk you through it, as I haven't done it.

Remember, people can have radically different opinions about what constitutes "great" sound from a J-45. You may think the BH knocks the socks off the TV, but that opinion may or may not be shared by others. Hence the value in getting feedback from critical listeners, like folks here.

Good luck.

Yes, DON'T feel dumb. They are all good questions really.

Everyone has different skills in selling or sales. And guitars can get a little complicated, especially when considering a rapidly changing hot/cold market, or more upper end and so-called "collectable" ones.

Regarding the Holly: It may very well be worth a collectable premium, but if it is, you can't expect it to sell quickly. There are buyers who pay the price for "collectables" and such, but they are fewer, more careful, and generally patient. If you are thinking it is listed too high because you have little hits on it, you may not be giving it a fair chance.

Collectables, limited editions, etc. that Gibson puts out are hard to judge, because sometimes they hold their value, sometimes they don't. And there is no consistency on that from model to model, and so no formula to really go by.

Sinse you seem to be serious about selling a number of guitars, I would again recommend getting a subscription to the Blue Book, or get access to one. It can take a lot of work out of trying to price certain things.

Hey MOP, it isn't like you bought vintage instruments and sold them years later. You have newer guitars that probably aren't worth much more or less than they cost you when you bought 'em. Check your records and sell for the same price you paid. Most buyers pay right at the running rate.

I know the Last Blonde J200 I had .. it went for 2000.00 about 4 months ago, and it was a Nice one..

The Hollie Model.. Ive owned a few.. 1500 to 2000... as for the WM j45.. I would say 8 to a 1000.00.

The Hollie Model in Canada here sold for quite a bit.. but then again our Dollar sucked at that time too... back in the day... 5 or so years ago... and longer.. The U.S List price was our Canadian Selling price... the canadian selling prices now are a Tad Higher than the actual U.S selling price today.. but the resale is Bad..

Stores up here have a Very bad Trade policy.. theyll give you nothing .. Even the Gibson dealers up here..

I'm in Canada as well. Well I guess I'll adjust prices. Or keep them

Im not far from you persay.. But as for G Dealers.. I would only stick to the main one.. L&M ,they set the prices.. the others for the most part are commision.. they have a tendancy to inflate off the overhigh List..

what are your intensions with the three Guitars.. Going to a higher end or?

Ive sold a few recently, however I sold the few that I would lose the least amount of money on. 3 guitars I had for almost five years and I lost $500 off my original price, if I sold just one of my remaining guitars today I would lose at least $500 on just that one. For me it's just not worth selling.

As for your price on the bird, I agree it's way too close to what you could get a new one for.

Just gave a listen to the vid of your Holly. A nice J45 sound but no more outstanding than say, Buck's TV or some of the other other samples that have been posted. Maybe you'll get lucky, find a collector....

The buddy holly is a limited produced guitar, only 250 were made. The current value is between $8,000 - $10,000. They have increasing in value by 10% each year. At $1500 it is a bargin or you really do not have a Buddy Holly.

I just looked at your pictures and the bottom one is not a Buddy Holly, Label inside is wrong and it is missing "Only a Gibson is good enough' on the head and the name of Buddy Holly on the cover of the truss rod is not there.

The buddy holly is a limited produced guitar, only 250 were made. The current value is between $8,000 - $10,000. They have increasing in value by 10% each year. At $1500 it is a bargin or you really do not have a Buddy Holly.

These prices are delusional. Sorry, but a Buddy Holly is not worth $8k-10K in anybody's book!

Archived