Gibson Brands Forums

Is know body buying guitars anymore?

Motherofpearl

These prices are delusional. Sorry, but a Buddy Holly is not worth $8k-10K in anybody's book!

I have been offered $8000 for my real Buddy Holly, see my first post as to why the TS does not have a buddy Holly.

DanL

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These prices are delusional. Sorry, but a Buddy Holly is not worth $8k-10K in anybody's book!

Have to agree with Nick there, there's no way I'd part with any ludicrous amount like 10K for a Buddy Holly.... On the other hand they do say there's one born every minute, so he may be out there...... ;)

Have to agree with Nick there, there's no way I'd part with any ludicrous amount like 10K for a Buddy Holly.... On the other hand they do say there's one born every minute, so he may be out there...... ;)

Do some research before you speak for you do not know what you say. I did not believe it also but when I did the research, it amazed me. For I did not pay anything like that for ther guitar new, but the guitar shop did go out of business shortly after he sold me the guitar. The owners wife said something about him selling the guitars too far below what he owed.

DanL

I don't doubt you Dan, it's just that there's nothing special about the specs of the guitar outside the name association. When you could score two or three 'vintage' originals for the same money which stand to fair better in the long run investment-wise and I certainly think anyone paying that amount for a limited sig model must have blinkers on.

It is a fine sounding example, but it doesn't sound 7-8k over the sound from many of the TV clips we've seen, in all other terms it's just a sig model with nothing very exceptional or special about the specs over very similar models from the same manufacturer at 20% of the price if not less. The value is purely on the limited availability currently. Should there be a future run of holly sigs (entirely possible) these could suffer....

I think the value of them now (if that is the quoted price) Is the perfect time for investors to sell, I certainly would...

Like I posted earlier. I personally know of (2) Buddy's that sold in the last six months. 1 sold for $1500 and the other for $1450.

Gibson is doing LTD runs all the time. No way is the Buddy worth anywhere near 8-10K. And if I REALLY believed that valuation I would be asking for more than $3200.

The buddy holly is a limited produced guitar, only 250 were made. The current value is between $8,000 - $10,000. They have increasing in value by 10% each year. At $1500 it is a bargin or you really do not have a Buddy Holly.

I just looked at your pictures and the bottom one is not a Buddy Holly, Label inside is wrong and it is missing "Only a Gibson is good enough' on the head and the name of Buddy Holly on the cover of the truss rod is not there.

You must be looking at something else Dlutter my holly has the banner and the truss rod cover name plate I also have the case with the buddy holly cover and a certificate of authenticity an yes I agree I have seen them for 8-10000 and would never pay that either.

0402a4f9.jpg

6c293319.jpg

0af41ccc.jpg

84c31bb4.jpg

If that ain't a buddy holly I don't know what is??

I don't doubt you Dan, it's just that there's nothing special about the specs of the guitar outside the name association. When you could score two or three 'vintage' originals for the same money which stand to fair better in the long run investment-wise and I certainly think anyone paying that amount for a limited sig model must have blinkers on.

It is a fine sounding example, but it doesn't sound 7-8k over the sound from many of the TV clips we've seen, in all other terms it's just a sig model with nothing very exceptional or special about the specs over very similar models from the same manufacturer at 20% of the price if not less. The value is purely on the limited availability currently. Should there be a future run of holly sigs (entirely possible) these could suffer....

I think the value of them now (if that is the quoted price) Is the perfect time for investors to sell, I certainly would...

Parlourman just ou of curiosity where did you find the specs on the holly? I would like to check it out?

Thanks

JC

I have been offered $8000 for my real Buddy Holly, see my first post as to why the TS does not have a buddy Holly.

DanL

Read the whole thread before you speak the last post I did was of a j45 true vintage check out the pictures above and tell me if you don't think it's a holly either way this seems to be going on and on. If the guitar is worth 8000 and I have it listed at 3200 in mint well it would have sold by now and there's interest but not enough to talk about

You must be looking at something else Dlutter my holly has the banner and the truss rod cover name plate I also have the case with the buddy holly cover and a certificate of authenticity an yes I agree I have seen them for 8-10000 and would never pay that either.

0402a4f9.jpg

6c293319.jpg

0af41ccc.jpg

84c31bb4.jpg

If that ain't a buddy holly I don't know what is??

yes this is a picture of a buddy holly, the other, I could not see very well. Do not sell for less then 10,000. If you a aearch you will find out what it is relly worth. First there is only 250 made, ever. Second don't let others mislead you. Most are probaly 10 years old and just learned to read. The person who offered me $8000 was a guitar collector and heard that I had one. That is when I started to research and found the true value of the guitar. Sound has nothing to with this price it is thge limited amount made. What is the number of your buddy holly mine is 205/250

Dan L

Parlourman just ou of curiosity where did you find the specs on the holly? I would like to check it out?

Thanks

JC

All you have to do is google it, as it is no longer a current model posted on the Gibson website. That's the way I found the specs.

you do not have a clue!!!

Dan L

yes this is a picture of a buddy holly, the other, I could not see very well. Do not sell for less then 10,000. If you a aearch you will find out what it is relly worth. First there is only 250 made, ever. Second don't let others mislead you. Most are probaly 10 years old and just learned to read. The person who offered me $8000 was a guitar collector and heard that I had one. That is when I started to research and found the true value of the guitar. Sound has nothing to with this price it is thge limited amount made. What is the number of your buddy holly mine is 205/250

Dan L

Mine is 196

Dan L

What an exceptionally rude post. I wont lower myself to address that any further.

As others have said, anyone willing to cough over 10K for a modern sig model must be few and far between (if a bit deranged). I among others certainly wouldn't. I do hope he gets a good figure for it, but 8-10k and my guess is he's won the lotto.

My Keb Mo is nearly as limited (300 pieces) and is actually signed by the guy, as opposed to being a modern contracted sig of a dead person, any sucker out there want to give me 10k for it?

Dan L

Dan, If you turned down $8K, I think you made a mistake. You aren't dealing with a bunch of amateur know-nothings on this forum. Stick around and see for yourself, rather than jumping in a trashing people. You want cred here, you got to earn it.

FYI, there are several of these on the market through reputable dealers right now. Typical asking price is around $1900. And as far as I can tell, all are the "real thing".

Do some research before you speak for you do not know what you say.

Second don't let others mislead you..... The person who offered me $8000 was a guitar collector and heard that I had one. That is when I started to research and found the true value of the guitar.

Quite rude and inappropriate ranting for a newbie. You see, sir, we generally don't cotten to such behavior here. Perhaps if you had done a bit of "research" you'd know the truth of the matter. Sorry to burst your bubble, but a Holly J-45 is not worth $8-10K in any market. You should have sold yours, bought the one I posted the link to and pocketed a hefty profit!

Well I'm quite knew here as well I hope knowone is offended this seems to be getting out of hand. I own quite a few great guitars would like to sell a few is all sorry guys. Everyone has opinions and answers this thread has really opened up. Good to get some knowledge on what these gibsons are worth. I still have them all though haha have a great week everyone I'll be lurking around

Well I'm quite knew here as well I hope knowone is offended this seems to be getting out of hand. I own quite a few great guitars would like to sell a few is all sorry guys. Everyone has opinions and answers this thread has really opened up. Good to get some knowledge on what these gibsons are worth. I still have them all though haha have a great week everyone I'll be lurking around

There's been nothing wrong with your posts at all, so don't get worried. This is definitely the place to find out about your Gibsons, folk will even try to help you sell them here, there's many people familiar with different markets too. If you're in the US perhaps you could widen your sales pitch for overseas too, out in the UK and the EU in general you don't always see the full range and the Ltd's are generally less in numbers too, so you may have exactly what an overseas buyer is looking for.

As for dlutter, he's just mislead the forum demeanour, some forums are a lot more brash than this one, if he wants to talk as brashly as that to me he's wasting his time, half the buzz around here is that it's always quite pleasant, with decent members and flare up's are not as dramatic as some forums.

Good luck with your sales.

Just dialed back in to say that judging from the number of NGD posts on the forum that people are buying, so that's not the issue.

As for the 8k valuation, there may be some formula for it but I havent seen it reflected in the marketplace, and I have been follwoing after slope Js for a while. Go fishing, then, but dont count on a big catch and keep in mind there's karma for selling catfish for lake trout.

I have 4 gibsons listed for sale knowone is touching them am I over priced? What's the value?

..Maybe it's your SPELLING that is putting people off!!!

Sorry but it was just to easy to resist!!!!

[tongue]

Archived