Gibson Brands Forums

1992 Custom "Black Beauty" body

vettefever333

I love to know everything about the guitars I own and recently purchased a 1992 3 pick up "Black Beauty" Les Paul Custom. I have even gone to the trouble of purchasing an original 1992 Catalog with the description of my guitar in it. I believe all my information is complete except for one thing and I come to you as experts to fill me in. Would my Les Paul have a solid mahogany body or would it be "chambered" or what ever a non-solid Gibson would be called in that year. Any definitive answer would be very appreciated.

Kirk

post-43418-077132000 1336176157_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure your LP is weight relief, but not chambered for sure.

Thank you, After some research, and something I never knew, was that Gibson started to "weight relief" as far back as 1982? I have not truly confirmed that, but your answer confirms some more of my recent information in that chambering did not start to occur till long after my guitar was built. I now understand the difference between weight relief and chambering. I was just wondering if the "weight relief" would apply to my model as opposed to regular Les Pauls as mine is supposed to be a reissue and I thought it may be built along the lines as how a 1957 would have been built.

Regards

Kirk

Outstanding, thank you. In the first two sentences it said "every" Les Paul was weight relieved since 1982 or 1983. As I just love this Les Paul and it's sound, I only asked for informations sake. Now I have complete info on this one of my guitars.

Regards

Kirk

www.bluesguitars.ca

How much does it weigh? I have the '92 Orville black beauty shown in another thread (non-chambered, 10.4 lbs)..granted it's made by a different company but was curious on the weight differences between the two.

That had also occurred to me. Have owned a few Les Pauls previous to 1982, so was going to weigh mine tonight and compare to what I remember of those. Pretty sure this one will be lighter. Will get back to you...

Kirk

The first number means it was built in '92. You have what is referred to as a "pre-historic." It is a reissue but not historically accurate. Those have solid bodies and short neck tenon.

I certainly appreciate the informed replies. Yes I had Gruhn's book and figured out the serial number when I bought it. Year then sequence number of guitars built in that year. I had about 5 Les Pauls over the years, kept each a couple of years then there was just one little thing I did not like and sold them. Not as if I don't have enough guitars to play. Then I always got the Les Paul bug and figured I needed one and bought another. This one I love, haven't found one thing I can find fault with. Now having said that, are you saying my '92 PreHistoric is not "weight relieved"? but has a solid wood body. It is on the light side for a Les Paul. And again you hit the nail on the head as this guitar has original Schaller solid metal tulip tuners and we all know that is not correct. The tuners on my guitar are shown in my '92 Gibson catalog for this model.

Kirk

www.bluesguitars.ca

• 7 years later...