Gibson Brands Forums

Does this seem a little odd?

flatbaroque

I can believe it. I have a '94 LP Classic Premium Plus that's never been played. It's true, so stop laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ&feature=related

haha.... a classic.......not sure what the acoustic equivalent of the eleven amp setting is?....maybe Bob Colosi bone bridge pins that are so hard you can cut diamonds with 'em

The guitar looks ok/genuine to my amateur eye...but the back story seems a bit funny.....3 years old and never been played???....someone was allergic to it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gibson-Hummingbird-True-Vintage-Reissue-/120904965140?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item1c267f5c14

It just says "brand new unused condition". That doesn't mean it's never been played. It just means it doesn't show any evidence of having been played. I have several guitar that might fit that description, even though they have been played.

It just says "brand new unused condition". That doesn't mean it's never been played. It just means it doesn't show any evidence of having been played. I have several guitar that might fit that description, even though they have been played.

FleaBay should restrict the use of the the term "new", as the proliferation of deceptively creative uses of term is out of control. . B)

so twice in the description it says new never been played......you interpret that as it has been played..I would rather buy a guitar that has been played...why advertise that it's 3 years old and hasn't been played??

I do think Ebay should have to get these people that sell on there to provide a Picture of the back of the headstock, Neck Block for the serial Number.. and it should be in Print.. the Bird Shown looks good.. But I ve encounter a few that have tried to switch the Guitars for lesser Copies..

so twice in the description it says new never been played......you interpret that as it has been played..I would rather buy a guitar that has been played...why advertise that it's 3 years old and hasn't been played??

I've never taken any ebay description at face value, and see no reason to do so unless it is says "new, in the orignal packaging, unopened", or something to that effect. Or if it says "beat to pieces and sold as-is". I have to assume that any guitar that someone has owned for three years--even at a dealer--has been played at some point.

Whether it's been played or not doesn't bother me. Its actual condition does concern me.

I bought a guitar last year that was advertised as "like new, perfect condition", even though it was three years old. I found a relatively small scratch on it when I looked at it, pointed it out to the seller, and lowered my offer by $200. He took the offer, since I had pointed out the flaw.

My luthier polished the scratch out by about 90% in about a minute for nothing when I picked up a couple of my guitars from him that were being worked on.

Assume it is not perfect, and make your offer accordingly if you want it.

Is it misrepresented? Probably. Happens all the time.

If you want a new, unplayed guitar, special order it through a dealer. Otherwise, assume someone else has had their mitts on it at some point, no matter how it's described.

I have seven guitars and some haven't been played in a year or so, so doesn't surprise me much. Not to mention I've bought lots of them on eBay and never had a problem at all. I doubt its never been played at all though,, but maybe a few minutes here and there.

Just like I have never seen a 'new' car that didn't have at least 5 miles on it, I've never seen a 'new' guitar that didn't have strings on it that were in tune. So - 'unplayed' to me is only possible if you custom order a guitar and tell the luthier to not put strings on it, even to make sure the neck is straight and the set-up is reasonable. I wouldn't purchase a guitar that is 'unplayed' anymore than a car that was 'undriven' since that would mean 'untested'.

Crikey, a HB TV and under $1500, I think i might bid on it and pick it up when Im back in Oz over Xmas !

There''s a bit of interest EA, I reckon it will crack $2300 at least...still a good price for a TV here....i'm kinda interested too

Yeah, even at that its a great price. Its really worth about $3k at least, especially if you take Aussie pricing into consideration mate..

There''s a bit of interest EA, I reckon it will crack $2300 at least...still a good price for a TV here....i'm kinda interested too

Mate, I only bought a guitar once on ebay and that was the J-150, in the US. Im probably not much different to yourself in this regard ..

I'm not super experienced E bay buyer....is a "No Return" policy common on high end used guitars?

I'm not super experienced E bay buyer....is a "No Return" policy common on high end used guitars?

\the No return policy means nothing to Ebay.. if it is not as described .. you have a case.. the seller really has no say in a return if ebay sides with you.. which 8 times out of 10 they will.

....but the back story seems a bit funny.....3 years old and never been played???....someone was allergic to it?

Life and closets are littered with the tools of grandiose plans and great intentions which never bear fruit. In finer print, the seller says 'unused conditon'.

It is entirely possible that someone with more money than good sense bought this 'Bird on whim with the advice of a friend or guit tar shop salesman as being a 'good' guitar to learn on. Took the thing home, realized he would not be able to sound like Roy Clark within the week, then set it aside, never to be touched again.

It is sad, but it happens.

I agree. I think that folks with a little bit more $ than common sense - when they get a hankering for a guitar we often benefit. I got my SJ200 and H'Bird TV that way. Both in virtually unplayed condition - the first a year old and the second only 3 or 4 months old, but at substantially better prices than if purchased new. If there weren't folks like us to quickly gobble up instruments like this - they wouldn't be able to sell them new for the prices they do. So - it all works out in the end. G'Luck.

I did bid on this guitar, and was leading for a while when it still seemed like a 'really good' deal at around 2k. But then i got in touch with the seller and asked him why was it not played. And he just said that he has 30 guitars and wants to offload it. So it wasnt really an answer. I found it odd that if he heas 30 guitars and hes getting rid of this one and was hardly played then maybe somthings not up to par with it assuming he knows about tone.

Plus he wouldnt record a sound sample, so once the price went above 2.2k i dropped out. Besides, I didnt like the caramel burst so much, the cherry burst on the TV to me is really the only option.

It sold for 2.5k in the end.

I did bid on this guitar, and was leading for a while when it still seemed like a 'really good' deal at around 2k. But then i got in touch with the seller and asked him why was it not played. And he just said that he has 30 guitars and wants to offload it. So it wasnt really an answer. I found it odd that if he heas 30 guitars and hes getting rid of this one and was hardly played then maybe somthings not up to par with it assuming he knows about tone.

Plus he wouldnt record a sound sample, so once the price went above 2.2k i dropped out. Besides, I didnt like the caramel burst so much, the cherry burst on the TV to me is really the only option.

It sold for 2.5k in the end.

yea i followed it too EA...sneaking glances at work...it was stuck on $2250 for hours...then the final bids happened in the last 20 secs. Like you I found his explanations "unusual" but possible. Must admit I liked the 'burst...but cherry would be better

Archived