Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Cherry Burst Hummingbird

iwalktheline

hey guys, not sure if some of you remember but, I had the vintage burst 96 hummingbird. so...recently i traded it for this cherry burst 96. I got the other one mainly because it was such a great deal but, always knew that if a cherry burst came along at the right price I would trade her. so, the new hummingbird sounds amazing and looks amazing as well. The guitar is almost flawless for a 96. Whoever owned this before either never played it or it just sat in its case.

7145883205_8c5e08afe7.jpg

DSCF2247 by johnjel80, on Flickr

7145883131_2ac85bd3a6.jpg

DSCF2246 by johnjel80, on Flickr

6999796730_24d702b53d.jpg

DSCF2245 by johnjel80, on Flickr

hey guys, not sure if some of you remember but, I had the vintage burst 96 hummingbird. so...recently i traded it for this cherry burst 96. I got the other one mainly because it was such a great deal but, always knew that if a cherry burst came along at the right price I would trade her. so, the new hummingbird sounds amazing and looks amazing as well. The guitar is almost flawless for a 96. Whoever owned this before either never played it or it just sat in its case.

7145883205_8c5e08afe7.jpg

DSCF2247 by johnjel80, on Flickr

7145883131_2ac85bd3a6.jpg

DSCF2246 by johnjel80, on Flickr

6999796730_24d702b53d.jpg

DSCF2245 by johnjel80, on Flickr

Congrats on the new Bird! [thumbup]

How could someone have such a beauty and leaving it in its case is beyond me [blink]

Agree with others, looks very nice, lovelly burst.

So did you sell the one where you spent a small fortune organising the new pickguard recently ?

Would love to hear some sound samples of the new Bird, Im in in a bit of Bird mode this weekend .. :-)

Enjoy !

Agree with others, looks very nice, lovelly burst.

So did you sell the one where you spent a small fortune organising the new pickguard recently ?

Would love to hear some sound samples of the new Bird, Im in in a bit of Bird mode this weekend .. :-)

Enjoy !

hey euroaussie, unfortunately yes I had to sell the vintage burst in order to get this one. I hated doing it especially after what i went through with the pick guard but when i bought the vintage burst I knew it was to only hold me over until i was able to get a cherry burst at a good price. the vintage burst was such a good deal at the time I couldnt pass on it, so I grabbed it. it did hurt letting her go [crying] but, when i look at the cherry burst that [crying] goes away. [woot]

Beautiful guitars – still I think I understand the switch. A pair of Q's. come up.

Are you aware of the scale-lengths on these 2 ?

How do they compare sound wise ?

That period in Gibson history is interesting, isn't it. . . .

both nice...that would have been a tough decision...both made in the same year???? Did they sound similar???

In all honesty, they sounded very, very similiar. Although the Vintage burst had a bit more of a thicker or bass sound then the cherry burst. Still, the cherry sounds amazing as well. The only downfall to me was that the vintage burst was acoustic/electric and the cherry burst is just acoustic. Im thinking of putting in the lr baggs pickup though sometime in the near future.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/LR-Baggs-Element-Active-System-Undersaddle-Acoustic-Pickup-102164779-i1527828.gc

Beautiful guitars – still I think I understand the switch. A pair of Q's. come up.

Are you aware of the scale-lengths on these 2 ?

How do they compare sound wise ?

That period in Gibson history is interesting, isn't it. . . .

Question 1) I'm sorry, I dont know the answer to that. [confused]

Question 2) Sound wise, very, very similiar. The vintage burst had a bit more of a beefy, thicker sound to it than the cherry burst does but, the cherry burst sounds sweet as hell. I might install this.....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/LR-Baggs-Element-Active-System-Undersaddle-Acoustic-Pickup-102164779-i1527828.gc

at a later time.

Question 1) I'm sorry, I dont know the answer to that. [confused]

The 90's square shouldered Southern J. I tried last summer had the 25,5 scale length (opposed to 24,75).

As we know, the S.J.'s and the Birds follow each other through different Gibson periods, so I just wondered 'bout the menzur of your guitars.

There's a little apropos in EA's new strings on Bird thread.

Archived