Gibson Brands Forums

Killing Floor and the Lemon Song the same

Rabs

So call me slow or something.. but being a big fan of both Hendrix and Led Zep youd think id have worked it out sooner.. I realsied quite a while ago but it did admittidly take many years for me to realsise that the Lemon Song by Zep and Killing Floor were based on the same song.. Its amazing how different those versions are and I like both of them.. See below for the original version, in knowing that you can really see the blues influence that runs across Hendrix and Zeppelin and some of my fave music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaVrtf3C2Kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbnKzRvNTD8

I also love Electric Flag's version. Bloomfield really killed it!

Lemon Song actually is Killing Floor but Zep'd!

And if I had a dollar for every time a riff/structure/chord pattern/concept got ripped off....

My examples: 1. Pleasure Dome-Van Halen. That whole song is a tribute to Rush's Xanadu. Most just think it's just the chord pattern, but they took the title from the song too.

2. You Can't Kill Rock and Roll-Ozzy Osbourne. Randy took the chord pattern from Ace Frehley's Fractured Mirror and used it as the intro and main pattern.

3. La Grange-ZZ Top=Boogie Chillen-John Lee Hooker.

Not to mention the many Beatles songs that copied their own heroes!

• 2 weeks later...

Led Zepplin was sued by Willie Dixon and, he won! Whole lotta love I believe was another Dixon tune called "You need Schoolin"? On the BBC recordings it does give credit to Dixon but, not on LZII. I can't quit you babe was a cover also! I know Otis Rush did it but, I don't know if he wrote it or not. This stuff goes on alot in the music biz. If you are a signed artist you need four things on your side. Lawyer, personal manager, business manager and, an agency or agent to book gigs. It is like buying a house but, alot more risky to get upside down on!

I posted this before and got no bites but this is a fantastic video on the whole subject that goes extensively into the whole Zeppelin thing. Well worth a watch.

Yeah nice... I wasnt aware of the Stairway rip off though.. Was kinda shocked at that..

Theres one that I always go on about is the riff from Paul Wellers Changing man and ELOs 10538 Overture...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC02EnshI5U

I really do not see the appeal of this song outside of the main guitar riff played at the beginning. It's like Plant listened to one blues album and sandwiched all of the lyrics from it onto one song. I feel like I am being conned out of $.05 by a thirteen year old thug every time I hear Zep I or II.

I really do not see the appeal of this song outside of the main guitar riff played at the beginning. It's like Plant listened to one blues album and sandwiched all of the lyrics from it onto one song. I feel like I am being conned out of $.05 by a thirteen year old thug every time I hear Zep I or II.

Each to his own, I guess.

I've always thought that Zep I and II were the best albums they made.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing Stairway, Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Immigrant Song, Misty Mountain Hop, etc.

Zeppelin III, Zeppelin IV, and Houses Of The Holy were decent records in my brain. I can't judge though, cause' they're loved by many people.

Physical Graffiti is a great record, although Kashmir gets old, even though it's a great tune. Presence is killer too!

In Through The Out Door to Zeppelin is like what (NOT TO BRING THEM UP AGAIN...SORRY!) Dynasty or Unmasked were to KISS.......Shows an ill band that's about to drop dead...

Of course, Zeppelin did drop dead a year later.... KISS should have dropped dead in 82....

Nothin' beats Zeppelin I for me! That album set the bar for what was to come after.

Rush, KISS, Van Halen, Aerosmith, and most other bands of the 70s wouldn't have been born without Zeppelin I!

To anyone who loves Rush's first album (which I do!), Working Man=How Many More Times only a few years later.

And Finding My Way as an album-opener is similar to Good Times Bad Times....And the "OOOHH YEEAAHH, OOOOH YEAHHH!"....Everyone copied Robert Plant, and Geddy was no exception!

Not to mention Alex Lifeson's obvious Page influence on the first few Rush albums....

Yeah, i can really do without the squeely vocals (zep, rush, etc).

Again, to each his own. Your opinion is respected. I like the fact that you expressed it a friendly manner, which is something I need to learn how to do!

But I think that sound is what's missing in today's rock music. I could do without screaming and Darth Vader vocals.... Not that I am implying that that sound is your cup o' tea, cause' I know it's not.

Now, Alvin Lee had a very unique voice for his time. He really put a lot of emotion into his music.

And I could also do without the Steven Tyler type voice......Not that it is bad, it just gets old.

I'm waiting for a great power trio with the early Zeppelin/early Rush sound mixed in with some AC/DC, Deep Purple/Rainbow, early KISS, UFOI/Scorpions and VH flavors. And maybe some Dokken/Lynch Mob/Ratt touches (not looks!). I'm sure one is already out there. Y&T and Tesla influence wouldn't hurt either....But that's not very likely. Oh, and BLUE CHEER!!!!

NOT Wolfmother though! I like them, but that's more of a stoner rock/Sabbath sound to me.

Speaking of Wolfmother, the name reminds me of a band called Catmother! Anyone remember them?

Archived