Gibson Brands Forums

It's Sunday somewhere.......

Buc McMaster

Buc,

You've got a really good voice, and that's a great pair of guitars. I don't know how you'd choose between them.

A bit to my surprise, the J-45 sounds a little "brasher", and the mids are certainly more focused and up-front to my ear. The D-18 is more balanced than I would expect, but I suspect it's the playing style (fairly close to the bridge, and moderate strumming pressure), and that Blue Chip pick. I think the Blue Chips will mellow out just about anything.

You've got two winners on your hands there.

Both great sounding guitars. Martin sounded a little tighter and focused. 45 warmer, folksier-it really helped you tell a story. Though I like the 45 better and I think it's more of a looker, I wouldn't mind that 18 one bit.

Im with others, I thought it sounded very good with both guitars. This song suits both the Martin and the Gibby well. I thought maybe the J-45 just provided a little bit more character and support to the voice in that Gibson way, but as I said both work well on this track, and sweet vocals Buc !

Buc, I don't know what you call it, but whatever "it" is, you got it.

I got a stereo I can listen too sometimes, and a handful of CD's of some of my favorites left over from my 'storage theft'. These little clips of you on the Gibson forum is some of the best music to come into my house.

If I had a CD of it, it would get wore out. If it was on the radio, it wouldn't get changed. Computer ain't the best way to experience music, but the little 4"x4" box of "Buc" playing the guitar and singing a tune holds up to all that around here.

I ain't complaining. I realize gigging and recording is a lot more effort than playing in front of a computer to get it out there. I'm grateful to you for doing it.

But dammit, it seems a waste to think we could have some real music for the stereo and the car compared to a lot of the other stuff that seems "popular" when it is so obvious from the little weekly "Box of Buc".

I think the 45 has the edge for character of tone over the Martin. The Martin seems a little "clinical"......very balanced, but lacking the warmth of the Gibson's voice. Surprisingly the 45 might be a little louder as well..........I would have never thought that to be the case! The both of them are excellent players with .013 gauge strings.

Thanks for the love, people!

I scrolled past the video as it played and could tell exactly when you switched without seeing the guitars. the Martin has a bigger, roomier sound. It just rings out more the the Gibson. I love my Gibsons but my recent D18 acquisition is blowing me away. Let's face it, if it's managable, ya gotta have both of them.

It must be my old ears, but I found both guitars sounded pretty much the same....great. If I hadn't read your text on your original post and had shut my eyes, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have told the difference when you switched guitars.

I know you said you were using 13's on both guitars, what brand and type of string are they?

Majestic performance, Buc. Voice sounds great. Both guitars sound great, and I hear the mahogany in both. Blind, I might be able to spot the change in guitars, but I think I'd struggle to know which is which in a genuinely blind test. As I'm not listening blind, I do think that the 45 has a slight edge, but I'm a big 45 fan, and yours is a good one. You seem to be able to dig in and get just a little more woody or earthy tone out of it. The 18 sounds a touch glossier to me - it shimmers a bit, as though that pick slides over it a bit more. I agree that it sounds round, but the mids still seem a little subdued. The 45 has the famed blending of bass, mids, trebs, but allows you to dig out certain frequencies when you want. What a dilemma to have!

Archived