Gibson Brands Forums

Signal Booster Pedals.

slavestate

Hello there,

I have recently been looking at signal booster pedals to add to my signal chain. I have seen a few different types in that some go at the end of your input chain and other go into the effects loop. I have an effects loop on my main amplifier however I occasionally use amplifiers with out one, so I have been focused in my search for a booster pedal that would go into my signal chain. I have no problem building one from a kit, which if I had a bit more money I would probably do. I saw that Build Your Own Clone has the Triboost which I think long term is what I will purchase.

My other main focus would be the leftover real-estate on my pedal board. I have enough room, really pushing it, to fit a standard size pedal. I would really prefer a micro shelled design, this is why I have been steering away from the DIY Piledriver Power Boost pedal.

In the meantime I think in the $40-50 range would be my spending limit. Does anyone have experience with any pedals that are on the market in that price range?

There's the Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster and Joyo Roll Booster in that price range, anyone use these ones or have a suggestion or feedback with something else they use?

Also, I saw the

and this seemed pretty cool, but would it do me justice?

Thank you!

My favorite is the Zvex Super Hard On. I have an original and I've built several clones and I just love the sparkly crunch they give my amps.

I dunno of any kits, but they're pretty easy to build from scratch. Something about my original one is just extra good though.

My favorite is the Zvex Super Hard On. I have an original and I've built several clones and I just love the sparkly crunch they give my amps.

I dunno of any kits, but they're pretty easy to build from scratch. Something about my original one is just extra good though.

You And me both, I love the crap out of my SHO.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Cough up a little more money and get yourself an MXR Micro Amp.

Probably not in the same league as an SHO or other boutique boosters, or even the MXR CAE MC-401 Line Driver, but it will get the job done no matter what.

You could also build one if you are handy with a soldering iron. They're probably the easiest pedals to build!

I've been thinking of building one myself, although I don't have any use for one (maybe someday!), and calling it the Baldo-Boost, cause' my last name is Baldwin!

Baldo-Drive, Baldo-Wah, Baldo-Vibe, Baldo-Phase, it's ENDLESS!!!!!!!

But I'd much rather be a pro-musician rather than a builder......

I say, make an offer on the SHO clone in the Trading Post section...........SHOs, and well built clones, are your best bet..........

Your price range in anything other than a well built SHO clone will only get you a piece of garbage.....And a waste of funds...........

Crap pedals are just that..........Useless...................No matter how nice they look..............

I'm getting myself a SHO or a SHO clone at some point............

I have a soldering iron and have put together only kits so far. I don't have much experience reading schematics. I have a parts tackle box full of resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, 1/4 jacks and dptp switches. I suppose everything to build one minus the enclosure. I just don't know really where to start.

Micro Amps and LPB-1s are great too. But yeah I like the SHOs.

Hey Damian.. A little birdy told me about a prime specimen of a SHO in the trading post ;)

I saw that.......Been crunching numbers.......Still gotta send out funds for an Epi I promised to buy, and, gotta get two new TC TonePrint pedals

in order to get a TC Black Matter Distortion for free...........For all who want an original SHO, move fast on the Dub one available via the

Trading Post here................

It's all good Damian! I'm just trying to get some funds together for a vintage Superfuzz

..........I will want some Dub pedals......We'll talk soon.........

I have the Micro Amp too. While I'm (sadly) unfamiliar with the SHO (I need to correct that), the Micro Amp does exactly what you describe, and a used one is right in your budget (checking the completed listings in eBay, they are selling shipped right in the area you mention for your budget). I've bought several used pedals on eBay, and if you do your homework, there is little chance of disappointment (plus eBay's Buyer Protection is pretty strong still). I'd go that route myself (in fact IIRC, I bought my own used- like new- at about that budget price).

Cough up a little more money and get yourself an MXR Micro Amp.

Probably not in the same league as an SHO or other boutique boosters, or even the MXR CAE MC-401 Line Driver, but it will get the job done no matter what.

You could also build one if you are handy with a soldering iron. They're probably the easiest pedals to build!

I've been thinking of building one myself, although I don't have any use for one (maybe someday!), and calling it the Baldo-Boost, cause' my last name is Baldwin!

Baldo-Drive, Baldo-Wah, Baldo-Vibe, Baldo-Phase, it's ENDLESS!!!!!!!

But I'd much rather be a pro-musician rather than a builder......

Up until a few days ago I had a way huge angry troll which I bought for £30 in new condition but I got offered £65 for t so I sold it. I know you stated a micro shell design but the op amp in this allows you to use it either as a clean boost or dirty, it really is very versatile

I have a soldering iron and have put together only kits so far. I don't have much experience reading schematics. I have a parts tackle box full of resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, 1/4 jacks and dptp switches. I suppose everything to build one minus the enclosure. I just don't know really where to start.

The Super Hard On is a simple circuit so it would be a good place for you to start. Are you familiar with vero board? I could send you a vero layout so you wouldn't even have to decipher a schematic.

The Super Hard On is a simple circuit so it would be a good place for you to start. Are you familiar with vero board? I could send you a vero layout so you wouldn't even have to decipher a schematic.

I have soldered a couple of things on perf board for practice, is that the same?

I would be grateful if you could send the vero layout.

The LPB circuit does a nice job. I had a LPB2 that created massive boost... made an amp really come to life. That circuit is also super easy to build as it uses few parts. Same for the grey DOD250 (the circuits are very similar).

The LPB circuit does a nice job. I had a LPB2 that created massive boost... made an amp really come to life. That circuit is also super easy to build as it uses few parts. Same for the grey DOD250 (the circuits are very similar).

The DOD 250 is one of my favorite boost boxes ever made. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of the tone control, as they can be a bit bright.

Same thing goes for the MXR Distortion+: great pedal, but lack of brightness control!

Not that the Distortion+ has anything to do with the thread, but I gave I mentioned it for two reasons: The DOD and the Distortion+ have the same problem (even though they're completely different pedals....), and two of my favorite players made great tones with it: Randy Rhoads and Alex Lifeson!

I miss Randy....

Up until a few days ago I had a way huge angry troll which I bought for £30 in new condition but I got offered £65 for t so I sold it. I know you stated a micro shell design but the op amp in this allows you to use it either as a clean boost or dirty, it really is very versatile

Those are nice......( I have one )......Above his budget though...........

( Just ordered a Red Llama clone )...........

• 2 weeks later...

I found a pedal builder who is making me a SHO clone for cheap. I am anticipating taking it apart and making duplicates of it.

I gave the vero board a try and I quickly realized that I would need more pieces than initially thought.

I will go the build route soon.

Thanks again!

Archived