Gibson Brands Forums

490R/T in lower tunings

XPAULPITT

I play mostly downtuned stoner/doom rock. I have used mainly EMGs for years but lately Ive been getting more into passives. Ive been using the 496/500 and Duncan Distortions. I have a set of 490s and I was wondering how they will sound at C#. I am worried that they will sound muddy since they arent super high output like the ceramics I am used to. Anyone have experience with this?

The 490T has enhanced mids and highs, but does not have near the output of the 500T or Dirty Fingers ceramic magnet humbucker. You might be able to compensate for the difference in output by using stomp boxes. I am sure someone in the forum could recommend a pedal or combination of pedals which would help you get the sound you want out of the 490T. The Gibson Dirty Fingers is a great pick-up for Drop Tunings.

I love the 490T. While it's not wound hot I find it takes high gain from amp or pedals exceptionally well. The enhanced midrange and top end bite would, I think, suit drop tunings whereas a darker, dirtier pickup might give you a lot of mud. I highly recommend a 7-band EQ pedal for tone tweaking and you could take your gear along to a music store and experiment with some distortion or OD pedals, unless your amp is one of the type which has a lot of gain stages meaning you might not need pedals.

Archived