Gibson Brands Forums

OUTSTANDING Chinese Epis(what's yours'?)

Great looking SG. I have one in cherry, 2 pups, with a Maestro and I love it. I put BBs in it too.

This has become one of my favorites, a '56 GT. I took out the P90s and put in a set of Gibson minis, best move I ever made. I am just not a P90 guy. I also put in a set of Grover Deluxe Green Keystone tuners. The originals were fine, but I just really like the looks of the Green Keys.

GTwithGreenKeystones-fullfront.jpg

Hey JC,

Love you're Goldtop man. Looks nice and tidy without the p/guard.

Reminds me of my first LP, a used Ibanez goldtop my dad got me for my 15th b/day.

When I cleaned her up she came up just like yours. Beautiful!! [biggrin]

Love those SG's with Maestro's. They just don't look quite finished without them. [thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

• 5 months later...

I was an early "naysayer" 'cause many of the early Chinese Epis were just not up to par, but when the "mojo" hit, it HIT & i've seen and played several fantastic models from China within the past year to 18 months.

There was so much smack talked about the early-birds(some well deserved) that i'd really be interested to know just how many here have China-Epis that they'd rate as very-good to exellent or better.

my 1st ChiEpi purchase was just over a yr ago, and it's still one of my "go tos"......it actually gets played more than my Gibby SG Std.

I got it thru Sweetwater Music so it got the 55 point inspect/setup, and it has been absolutely perfect from day 1.

i'm soon going to swap the EB reg. .10s for EB Cobalt .10s and adding wings to it!!!

GarysCam182.jpg

NEWBIE question: How can you tell where these Epi were made? Especially in advance.

First, I have to say that Paul, I love that LTD Custom. Aldo, your Riviera is scrumptious, absolutely stunning.

The only MIC guitar that I have is a 2010 Korina SG. I was looking for something to remind me of the second guitar I ever owned, a Gibson '66 SG. Hard to compare guitars 40+ years apart (believe it or not, I paid the same amount for both guitars, sheesh!), but the KSG does a fine job, once the PUs were changed out. It has a little different resonance than any other Epi SG I've played, even my Gibson guitar tech commented on it. Don't know whether I got lucky with this one or that most MIC EPIs are this good.

IMG_3303.jpg

Great looking SG. I have one in cherry, 2 pups, with a Maestro and I love it. I put BBs in it too.

This has become one of my favorites, a '56 GT. I took out the P90s and put in a set of Gibson minis, best move I ever made. I am just not a P90 guy. I also put in a set of Grover Deluxe Green Keystone tuners. The originals were fine, but I just really like the looks of the Green Keys.

GTwithGreenKeystones-fullfront.jpg

that's a rockin' '56 GT !!

I installed Gibson Deluxes on mine, and GFS "Dream 180s" replacing the stock p'ups......it's one of my faves now, & i'll be wailing on it soon as I sign off tonight !

GarysCam163.jpg

this was the one that required so much work to make it playable, out of the box.....glad I didn't send it back after all.......

Would be my '07 honeyburst plus-top LP....absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar that a lil tweaking here and there didn't fix - build quality seems excellent so far... Of course, the caveat being that it's my only Chinese electric Epi ... I have a '99 Epi AJ18-SNA acoustic, which is a fine budget acoustic, fit/finish/build have been fine up to now, but I'm not that much an acoustic kinda guy, unless conditions demand it, so...heh

My 2010 Qing Dao G400 1966 model is getting just as much playtime and attention as my 2012 SG Standard limited. Even before I upgraded the plastic nut to bone, the contract Grovers to super high quality Gotoh's, and a Gotoh bridge, the thing played and rang like the Gibby. Now with the three upgrades it is so lively that I am stunned to say the least.I'm ok with the stock pickups as I alter the sound later in the chain and they are very quiet.Build quality is superb and this series is not using the mahogany veneer on the front and back since apparently they had a supply of larger phillippine mahogany blocks at that time.

100_5451.jpg

100_5447.jpg

100_5449.jpg

100_5423.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

First, I have to say that Paul, I love that LTD Custom. Aldo, your Riviera is scrumptious, absolutely stunning.

The only MIC guitar that I have is a 2010 Korina SG. I was looking for something to remind me of the second guitar I ever owned, a Gibson '66 SG. Hard to compare guitars 40+ years apart (believe it or not, I paid the same amount for both guitars, sheesh!), but the KSG does a fine job, once the PUs were changed out. It has a little different resonance than any other Epi SG I've played, even my Gibson guitar tech commented on it. Don't know whether I got lucky with this one or that most MIC EPIs are this good.

IMG_3303.jpg

I want that Ric...

Please airmail it to me asap

Thankyou...

V

:-({|=

Well, I have had my 2011 LP Standard now for 10 months. I raised the pole pieces on the pickups to match the neck radius which gives me a little better string definition. I still enjoy playing this LP. Epiphone really made this a very good guitar. Thanks again Epi....

My MIC Les Paul Traditional Pro is an exquisite guitar and in the store,the first time I played it,I was absolutely floored by how much it sounded like a PAF.The salesman who was there almost dropped his jaw on the floor too as he hadn't had the opportunity to play it.MY MIC G-400 Les Paul Custom is also a sublime guitar that is incredibly versatile as you can get the warmest,smoothest possible jazz tones from it.My daughter's boyfriend who is a diehard Gibson SG owner/player declared that he liked my SG bodied Les Paul more than he liked his Gibson SG.He said that the feel and playability were way superior,the fit and finish were better and since he's a real metal head,he loved the overdriven tones that came from it when it was plugged into my JCM 800.He said that his SG could never raunch out like that.

Over the past few years the quality of MIC Epis has improved in leaps and bounds to the point where they could now hold their own when compared to just about any guitar.

Archived