Gibson Brands Forums

Time for the annual DEET warning.

Searcy

It's getting to be bug season here in the U.S.A. and if you play outdoors or just come in from outdoors and play without washing up first remember that DEET can be transfered from your arms and hands to your guitar and melt a nitro finish. This can make it feel sticky, as if the finish isn't cured. In some cases it can ruin the finish all together.

Be sure to wash your hands and anything else that might come into contact with your guitar before playing your nitro finished Gibson or Martin or Gretsch ect.

Perhaps, add a whole list of chemicals and household liquids that can and/or will harm nitro finishes.........

And the best ways to possibly repair the damage done.........

Perhaps, add a whole list of chemicals and household liquids that can and/or will harm nitro finishes.........

And the best ways to possibly repair the damage done.........

Most folks don't run around spraying a whole list of household liquids on their expensive guitars but if there are some you would like to add to the list feel free.

Here's part of a post from my blog on the subject.

DONT PANIC!

...The important thing is to not freak out and slather a bunch of polishes and solvants and buffing compounds all over the finish.

All I did was let it sit for 3 or 4 weeks in the open air of my guitar room with nothing touching the neck and the finish. This allows the solvents to evaporate from the finish. Thats all my Chet needed and it cured back to normal. If your finish cures hard again in a few weeks but looks dull it can be buffed back out. If it looks lumpy I suggest you contact a guitar repair professional who has experience with Nitro repairs.

And remember a towel is the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.

Thanks for the warning! This thread could also be sub-titled "A word from the wise" [thumbup] .

Hmmmm... I was thinking of a sub title like "A word from a moron who almost ruined a $2000 guitar" but I like that sound of yours better. [thumbup]

It's getting to be bug season here in the U.S.A. and if you play outdoors or just come in from outdoors and play without washing up first remember that DEET can be transfered from your arms and hands to your guitar and melt a nitro finish. This can make it feel sticky, as if the finish isn't cured. In some cases it can ruin the finish all together.

Be sure to wash your hands and anything else that might come into contact with your guitar before playing your nitro finished Gibson or Martin or Gretsch ect.

How bad does the bug problem get around the start of june? Thats when im flying over

Guest rogerb

Good advise. I knew a fellow back in the 70's that played bluegrass outdoors, the finish on the top of his Martin D-28 was ruined due to bug repellent from his arm.

I totally destroyed the finish on my second guitar back in the early '60s thanks to Deet in bug repellant. I thought I was just perspiring at an evening campfire. It was the guitar finish.

The tale has been told here before, and I'm glad Searcy brought it up again.

Also, I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that even the Epi finishes might be "safe" from various chemicals either.

m

I totally destroyed the finish on my second guitar back in the early '60s thanks to Deet in bug repellant. I thought I was just perspiring at an evening campfire. It was the guitar finish.

The tale has been told here before, and I'm glad Searcy brought it up again.

Also, I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that even the Epi finishes might be "safe" from various chemicals either.

m

Well, the poly finishes are tougher than nirto but yea, they arn't bullet proof. [thumbup]

My step son doesn't get eaten alive much when we're outside, but I am like a hot turd to mosquitoes, if they were flies. So, I spray myself like the dickens! I can be absent minded, so I could easily go into my music room after spraying myself silly, and start playing my guitars. This is good info. Thank you sir.

Since they made DDT illegal the mosquitoes have been an increasing problem for the region where I live. We had quite a few folks come down with West Nile. It was pretty much career-ending for a world champion rodeo rider acquaintance. Folks do a lot less evenings outdoors - even in town where they spray and have larvicides in use at the appropriate time of year.

m

Archived