Gibson Brands Forums

Time to change the strings I think.....

ParlourMan

After about 3 months of being played by me, played extensively (and gigged a few times) by my singer, I think the masterbuilts on the Keb Mo model have finally dulled down to the last gasp.

I only noticed it when I made this quick video for my brother regarding the right hand movements for Cocaine Blues, I started learning it the other night so he wanted to see the right hand patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RPmyokUx4&feature=g-all-lik

The speeded up stuff at the beginning is just because I like to freak him out now & then. ;)

I dunno, they actually sound pretty good still to me. Definitely warm, but still can hear decent sparkle and a defined bass. Miracle you get 3 months from the Masterbuilts, mine would dead as door nail after 3 weeks.

I really need to learn some of that pick' stuff ..

Though rather foreign to these guitars, I liked the clip.

The mini-sound goin' into real in the beginning was a treat, , , , the synth-explosion too brutal and PalourMan-avatar related for me.

Keep Pickin'

All sounds good to me - leave the strings another couple of months.....you won't need to damp the open E run....you may get the 'domp' sound instead of a 'boiiingggg'?

BluesKing777.

Hahaha, yes there's still a bit of boiiiingg there for sure.... These strings went on around the end of January, probably why I've always defended the masterbuilts.

They sound just fine to me. Not biting in the treble department, but quite respectable. You evidently have body chemistry to match MBs. But I don't have a problem with them either. With the exception of the high e, twice replaced, the original MBs on my Woodster are still going strong after 14 months. Plenty of thump in the bass, and middles still sound good. Obviously with a newish high e, trebles are cutting, but the b holds up too. Not getting as much play as your instruments, though, so not all variables are equal.

I have teflon fingers, kids who sleep light and a wife who prefers guitar practice in the afternoons! The thing still sounds the dog's. Just not when the humidity reaches 70%. Besides you can't get the D'Addario 80-20s here which come closest to MBs. I've got a nice set of D'Addario 85-15s waiting for when the need arises. You should see how old some of the strings on my beater are. Archaeologists' reports may prove that they were once used by John Dowland.

You guys have put the moz on me - all my Gibson strings seem to have gone off at the same time......

I am on the Martin 000c-15e til I can get some more MBs. (They have been a bit scarce lately at the local music shop).

BluesKing777.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived