Gibson Brands Forums

My favourite bit from Claptons biography ..

EuroAussie

In his alco 70's day Eric is flying drunk as a skunk, makes a racket on the plane and gets arrested when he lands in Oklahoma.

They take him to the county lock up and ask him if he's Eric Patrick Clapton .... Sir Eric cracks a tantrum yelling nobody calls him 'Parick' and they have no righ. So they throw him into jail to dry out. He protests yelling he's the Eric Clapton.

The cops think he's full of shite, so he tell em' bring me a guitar and ill prove it to you. So the cops actually bring him a guitar ....15 mins later he's out of jail ... [thumbup]

In his alco 70's day Eric is flying drunk as a skunk, makes a racket on the plane and gets arrested when he lands in Oklahoma.

They take him to the county lock up and ask him if he's Eric Patrick Clapton .... Sir Eric cracks a tantrum yelling nobody calls him 'Parick' and they have no righ. So they throw him into jail to dry out. He protests yelling he's the Eric Clapton.

The cops think he's full of shite, so he tell em' bring me a guitar and ill prove it to you. So the cops actually bring him a guitar ....15 mins later he's out of jail ... [thumbup]

[laugh]

Priceless !!!

[thumbup]

Reminds me of the early 80's when I and approx. 10 friends were sent to the penitentiary after an Iggy Pop concert.

I thought : Here is very good acoustics, what will the cops wanna hear. . . Then I gave a severely loud version of By The Rivers of Babylon by Boney M.

Didn't work – I was the last they sat free. . . .

Reminds me of the early 80's when I and approx. 10 friends were sent to the penitentiary after an Iggy Pop concert.

I thought : Here is very good acoustics, what will the cops wanna hear. . . Then I gave a severely loud version of By The Rivers of Babylon by Boney M.

Didn't work – I was the last they sat free. . . .

Maybe they didn't like reggae?

I was on a holiday weekend with my parents at a small seaside town! eek at the time!

I had to get out of there, so I went to the local and took my younger brother, who is normally a very quiet accountant type. There was a band playing and we stayed til we got thrown out and my brother was slozzled a touch. We walked back to the holiday house, and along the way he started singing really loud. I didn't know he had it in him! The cops pulled up behind us and gave us a talkin' to about being too loud, but as soon as they started to drive off, my brother arced up again, so the cops turned round and grabbed us and took us to the slammer to 'dry out'. Except my rotten brother wouldn't stop singin' and screamin' Queen's "We Will Rock You' so the cops hosed us down....

Not the same result as EC's talent provided!

BluesKing777.

I'm a Clapton fan, and actually own and play one of his guitars. But, i was very disappointed with how little space he devotes in his autobiography to the topic of music and what motivated him to play.

I'm a Clapton fan, and actually own and play one of his guitars. But, i was very disappointed with how little space he devotes in his autobiography to the topic of music and what motivated him to play.

I agree jt. I've also been a huge Clapton through the years. I read the book when it came out. On the one hand, I guess I give him some credit for exposing himself as being a strange combination of insecure and self absorbed in the first part of the book. He shed a little more light on aspects of his life that were generally known. The second part was very disappointing in that I wouldn't call it an autobiography at all. He devotes this part to discussing his financial success and massive purchases he's made. Reading this drivel put me off. I was excited to read the book but haven't felt the same about him since I read it. He doesn't paint himself as likable or admirable. Perhaps he's overly self critical. He doesn't seem to have any trouble getting people to play music with him but it's probably a pretty good payday, lol.

Do you own one of his guitars or a signature model?

I also read EC's auto, getting just about what I expected...

Touching story of fey, absent mother...not totally unlike John Lennon et al...

Talent which resonated hugely in the 60's...less so nowadays

Incredible tales of drug/alcohol over-indulgence

Lucky to have more eloquent sidemen like Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker to launch megastardom

A genuinely skilled and professional performer...able to sell-out stadia night after night

These 'rock' biographies are very enjoyable to read and reminisce over [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Archived